what is better the thompson smg or the mp40

i always had the question which is better caliber,damage,weight.i want to see what u ww11 fans think remember add tell me what you think :).

I always thought the .45 ACP over the 9mm with more muzzle energy and cross-sectional density. Even using hardball (FMJ) rounds. At least that’s what I read and learned when I started shooting in the late 70’s. Of course, I never used hardball for self-defense; either hollow points (Silvertips, Hydra-Shok, Black Talon) or frangible rounds (Glaser, Mag-Safe).
I don’t know of the weights of WWII .45 ACP or 9mm.

.45 a.c.p. is very good for anti personnel work, for which purpose it was developed. (against Moro tribesmen in the Philipines if memory serves) The large,slow, heavy slug of 230 troy grains (tho some may be lighter,or heavier) was more likely to knock the target down, even if that person was drugged up, and crazy.(again, Moro tribesmen) .
The 9x19mm is a high velocity round,(rough equal to the .357 magnum) but uses a very light slug, from 90-115 troy grains. Gilding metal also varied considerably, from copper, to cupernickle, to steel, even solid sintered iron. pressures also varied, so if you buy some surplus ammo, and own an alloy pistol, be sure you can safely use it in your pistol.
This probably made the schmeisser a more versatile weapon, suited equally to anti light vehicle, and anti personnel use. My fave is still the Thompson though, its a huge part of U.S. history, and those built by Colt, are works of art.

As much I might like the MP 40 I think for close combat the Thompson was a superior gun, the higher rate of fire and knock down power of the 45 bullet is quite something.

Agreed my friend, I had neglected to mention above that the Thompson is not limited to stick magazines as is the mp-40, so with a 50rd drum, or larger, it was just the trick for confined space engagements.

Was the drum used in wartime? Maybe stupid question, but never see pictures of it on the MG. Only sensationalized by the Mafia/criminal element in the 1930’s and in movies.

This is what Lee Ermey (Full Metal Jacket) thinks…:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuhQdvkORu4

That is a good question, as I have not seen a pic of one in G.I. hands with a drum, Probably because mags are discarded when empty, and drums are costly . But it would be quite the kick-ass weapon W/ the drum…

Now Grandma may have a different opinion, so lets see what she has to say…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV59_if9vTw

Ha-ha! Hilarious:lol: (the youtube link that is)

I remember Nicolas Cage using it in the start sequence of “Windtalkers”, does a John Woo movie count as a reliable source? :lol:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ozXAwCjY0eU&feature=related

I don’t know, but that’s pretty dang cool! Except that it must be a 400 round drum since he never changes it!:smiley:

British soldiers had the Thompson with round drums.

Oh and to answer the question I choose the MP40 as I think it’s sexier to look at.
I am a very shallow person I know.:mrgreen:

The drum mags were available early in the war for the M1928A1 models but the drums proved to be too heavy, bulky, and half empty drums were too noisy so for the later models they did away with the drums. The M1 and M1A1 Thompson would only accept box magazines.

Only the early M1928 model Thompsons could accept the 50 drum magazine and they were rarely used. The 20 and 30 round box magazines were much more common.

Having shot both, I’d say the Thompson was WAY better at destruction, was easier to aim, and hits on target were easy.

The MP40 was lighter, but also easy to shoot. The Thompson was easier by LONG shot to hit with. Throw out a target and you’ll probably hit with the Thompson faster than with the MP40.

However, both were good weapons for what they were intended to do. If given the choice between the two, I’d select based on the expected circumstances. If I had to do a lot of running between sparse cover, I’d take the MP40. If I had to choose based on hitting power, the Thompson.

As I said, good weapons, both. By “good” I mean reliable, accurate, rugged, and not prone to jamming.

Many M1928AC, (and a couple of M1921AC,) Thompsons were issued to the British Home Guard, they used both fifty- and one hundred round drum magazines.
Later the Commandos and Eighth Army also received them, along with the later deliveries of M1A1’s.

Thank you.
I look forward to your tales of comparative testing and practical experience.

i would say the MP-40 is better though it lacked some key things.
1-The thompson could be fitted with ammunition drums rather then 30 or 20 round magazines.
2-it had a straight pull back cocking handle that could go undone just by bumping it.
on the other hand it was a lighter weapon and was bery maneuverable do to its collapsing stock .

The MP.40/II had a dual magazine and was made exclusively in Steyr in 1942-43 specifically for use on the Ostfront,it had two standard magazines side by side.It was too heavy and too complex though.

ya i sorta thought about taht but i thought that was just COD 5 lol didnt think it was real