What is going on? What? Where? When?

#1:

#2 (for French epakers should be peanuts)

#4 The most tricky one…

You not cant salute the flag without being bothered in ours days.:rolleyes:

Nice collection of german "Pickelhaubes " in the third pic.

I know Hilter wasn’t the fisrt to use the swastika as a symbol. It’s an old symbol that has also been used by Native Americans (Indians). I believe that Hitler used it in the reverse rotation from previous uses.

William S. Hart, an American silent film star, collected Western and Native American art. Apparently it caused quite a controversy because his art included swastikas.

I think the photos showing pre WWII aircraft are depicting pre Hitler swastikas.

I know the Lafayette Escadrille was an American volunteer squadron prior to Americas entrance into WWI.

both in native american and eastern cultures the swastika as pictured is a good luck symbol,symbolizing the sun…the nazis took the normal swastika,reversed it and then gave it a quarter twist…some would say that is why the nazi swastika is such an evil symbol…many early aviators used it as a good luck symbol…hell,charles lindburgh had one painted on the inside of the prop nose-cone on “the spirit of st. louis” for good luck.before the war the US 45th infantry division had the native american swastika as the their divisional insignia before changing to the thunderbird design…

I think the school children are pointing at Superman flying passed thier classroom.

uhhhh…no…they are giving the standard pre-1942 salute to the flag that was done during classroom recitation of the pledge of alliegence. usually it was done with the palm up but in many schools you just raised your arms in the style pictured.in 1942 ,after the US’s entry into the war, this type of salute was quickly dropped given it’s similarity to the nazi salute.this is the point at which they started using the hand over the heart thing.

I liked the Superman explanation better…but think yours is the better choice.

Well done about the salut!

#3 is the preparation for the Victory parade in London, 1919.

I can see why the Germans felt that the British were punitive after WWI.

All those poor German soldiers lying face down on the lower parts of the pile must have been crushed to death. :smiley:

I thought it was just a rather large hat rack.

Now that we seem to have satisfactory explanations for the pictures, can we post the link to the Lafayette squadron? I’ll wait until Egorka says so :wink:

Good call.
Try watching “Flyboys”. A movie about WWI aviation. It’s all Hollywood, but good computer generated special effects.

i do agree with All hail cesar, it does have very good effects, but what is stupid is the way the beggining of almost every dogfight begins, the go slow and just star at each othe, there is also parts where an american pulls out a revolver and shoots a german in the FACE!!

Sure, mate! Bring it on!

Cheers.

I quite like the first one because of it’s “boy’s own” style.

http://www.greatwardifferent.com/Great_War/Air_War/Lafayette_01.htm

http://www.neam.org/lafescweb/americansinfas.html

[QUOTE=panzerpete;100139]i do agree with All hail cesar, it does have very good effects, but what is stupid is the way the beggining of almost every dogfight begins, the go slow and just star at each othe, there is also parts where an american pulls out a revolver and shoots a german in the FACE!![/QUOT

Do you remember the scene with the German running along the top of the Zepplin to avoid the explosion? …where was he going? :eek: