What is That?

Look at the picture at the following link
http://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/germans/postcard2?full=1

What is strapped on the soldier on the right’s chest?

Where’s the picture? Try uploading it onto a host like imageshack or photobucket, etc. :wink:

Not an MP40 is it? Doesn’t look very much like one

A poor painting I imagine.

folks, I believe that is a real color photograph … the color looks tinted because that’s the way the color was captured on the photograph. Quite a bit of German photography looks like a painting because of the type of color process they used…and it escapes me right now. However, with that in mind, the Germans also did hand tint a lot of their propaganda stuff.

I need to find some people who know about the WWII color process so we can get some articles on this site about it.

Anyone got any leads?

that weapon is obvously an MP40.

From the mag housing forwards I’d have said the same thing, but the TMH shroud is very different and the pistol grip is diffy.

Why the image should have been retouched I don’t know, maybe the picture had been damaged at some stage, perhaps during the developing or tinting process and an artist unfamiliar with the wpn attempted to repair it.

Well not a traditional one. Looks like and experimental with the grip at an incline. Im not so convinced thou

Well not a traditional one. Looks like and experimental with the grip at an incline. Im not so convinced thou[/quote]

Take a close look at the ‘grip’ Gen., it’s very long. I believe it’s a mag pouch on the belt, which makes me think that the picture has been retouched.

Well not a traditional one. Looks like and experimental with the grip at an incline. Im not so convinced thou[/quote]

Agreed. It looks vaguely like a MP40 (the magazine and such), but I’m not completely convinced either.

If it was tampered with, then something else around the weapon should also have been replaced on the picture.

I can’t tell.

i read from a encycpedia, they said the german has tried 64 bullets magazine before, but its not very effective for some reason

Turn the contrast up on your monitor and look closely. A bar on the 88 has been blended with the receiver of the MP 40, and the MP 40s pistol grip has been blended with what appears to be a magazine pouch. Therefore, it is a touched up photo. Not a previously unknown experimental model, secret wonder weapon, or German death ray gun – just a badly touched up photo.

FW-190 – I am unaware of any German 64 round magazine, but there were experimental MP 40s which had a hinged, double magazine housing, enabling the user to switch quickly from one thirty two round magazine to the other. It was not successful.

Has anyone else also spotted that the chap in question with the MP 40 is wearing rifle ammunition pouches on the right-hand side of his belt?

Yes that is weird to0. Im starting to think the soilder in the pic didnt have a gun in the beginning. If your manning an 88 your not going to need a strapped Mp40 with the ammunition naturally on the wrong side especially when your buddy is trying to find the enemy thru his binoculars. Plus if you did spot something right away all that gun is going to do is get in the way of you trying to man the 88.

Here are the pics again:

Picture in question

Traditional MP40 Style

Saw that and assumed it could be either because:

a) As arty is unlikely to be in the assault they might only get one smg pouch - especially considering the supply chain at the time. Have seen other pics where different pouches were worn.

b) The wpn could belong to another crew member who was stood down while the bloke carrying it is stagging on.

c) A staged pic for the benefit of the press.

Interesting pic - airsoft ?

Incidentally in the first pic the 9mm ammo pouch is on the correct side for a right handed troop, these SMGs are often pictured slung this way round so the cocking handle didn’t dig into the sldr’s body.

Well I think its just stuck on. Even the Magazine looks wrong, it looks too circular.

Interesting pic - airsoft ?

Incidentally in the first pic the 9mm ammo pouch is on the correct side for a right handed troop, these SMGs are often pictured slung this way round so the cocking handle didn’t dig into the sldr’s body.[/quote]

That’d be the traditional German picatinny / weaver rail on the top as well then, would it??? :twisted:

[quote=“Gen_Sandworm”]

Yes that is weird to0. Im starting to think the soilder in the pic didnt have a gun in the beginning. If your manning an 88 your not going to need a strapped Mp40 with the ammunition naturally on the wrong side especially when your buddy is trying to find the enemy thru his binoculars. Plus if you did spot something right away all that gun is going to do is get in the way of you trying to man the 88.

Here are the pics again:

Picture in question

Traditional MP40 Style

[/quote]

he is wearing K98 rifle pouches, not mp40 long magazine pouches. its odd why anyone would add a gun for the photo.

There’s an echo in here isn’t there ?