What Messerschmitt Bf 109 variant do you like most?

Well, maybe this is a bit senseless, but I would to know what version of the one-O-nine YOU like most and why? :smiley:

I personally like the late G-versions (G-10 or G-14) and the K-4 (“Kurfürst”) most, because it was the most elegant and potent machine of this type. I like the Erla-Haube and the slim tailfin and also the retractable rear-wheel.

So, gentlemen, what about you opinion?

Here I found a nice clip with the Messerschmitt 109G from the Messerschmitt-Stiftung. Just listen to that fantastic sound! Interesting: the difficult landing, that is typical for that plane with such a narrow track and due to the torque of the prop.

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/1124570

Jens

I like the G variants too. Don’t know much about them though, just look cool to me.

The retractable tailwheel was present since the F variant, is just that in the later ones was let fixed for preserve the fuselage in case of crash landing.

I am not sure if the right question is “like the most” but wich was more effective in his year of introduction. I think the F-4.

Messerschmitt G-10

I am not sure if the right question is “like the most” but wich was more effective in his year of introduction. I think the F-4.

that would also be an interesting issue, but I was asking for the personal favourite taste of the members. it is just about good looks. :wink: I f. e. do not like the E-versions much, compared to the K, they look a bit plump.

jens

For me I prefer the F-4.

It seems most pilots had no real problems during take off or landing, though quite a few mention the long nose of the Messerschmitt created visibility problems and landings had to be carried out by feel.

Some pilots claim the type was more difficult on the ground during the day. It’s all relative as some pilots preferred to cut the engine early, while others liked to have the throttle slightly open during landing.

The ‘narrow’ undercarriage of the 109 is mainly myth. In fact the Spitfire had a more narrow undercarriage. Most German and their Allied pilots claim the Messerschmitt was very stable on the ground. All in all approxiamately 1,500 Messerschmitts were lost in ground accidents throughout it’s career which equates to just over 4.5% of total production. This does not seem to be to out of line to other fighters of the period, but I would like to do a bit more research on that.

Regards Digger.

The ‘narrow’ undercarriage of the 109 is mainly myth. In fact the Spitfire had a more narrow undercarriage. Most German and their Allied pilots claim the Messerschmitt was very stable on the ground

Vey true :mrgreen: , The naval variant of the Spit, the seafire was a nightmare lo land in carrier.

I think I now why Splinter54 like the G-10 the most, it was the fastest BF-109 available.

December 1944 saw the DIANA facility move to construction of the final Bf 109G model. The sole variant produced here was the Bf 109G-10/U4. The Bf 109G-10/U4 aircraft produced at WNF could be distinguished by the following external features:
[ul]
[li]tall wooden fin (with either B or C style rudder, some with Flettner tab installation)[/li][li]wide 660x190mm tyres and the large streamlined fairing[/li][li]improved cockpit heating featuring hot air ducting on the back of the canopy armour[/li][li]uniquely shaped rivetted fairings below the windscreen (otherwise similar to non-Erla build cowl)[/li][li]short tail wheel strut[/li][li]engine mounted 30mm MK 108 cannon (unique to WNF Bf 109Gs)[/li][/ul]

I played Il2 - together with the K Series, they had been very nice to fly. Fast and only dangerous while the Take off - the Fw190 is quite dangerous in the style i fly it when i have time for that hobby ^^ always loose the air under my wings - only the D-9 Dora pleasures me, because in Coop Missions those are very reliable - fast, high damage resistable, nice motorisation and straight canons. :rolleyes:

Bf-109G2 of Waldemar Huy, JG77, with several ship “killmarks”:

A rare variant, Bf-109G-6/N , a night fighter equipped with IFF and flame dampers. this “kanonenboot” of JG 301 landed in UK after combat with some Lancaster in mid 1944 and it was captured.

Fine question indeed, my dear Mr. Flammpanzer. And also some very exceptional photos, provided by Mr. Panzerknacker. Therefore, thank you for the opportunity. :slight_smile:

Although I personally do represent some kind of a “middle age techno-freak”, in this particular case I shall vote for the good old Bf 109 E-3. And why? Well, mainly because the early forties were the last years when the old WW 1 spirit of aerial adventure, unhampered chivalry, deep esteem toward your enemy, and optimistic pursuit toward technical and tactical perfection have dominated the skies. After that… well, everything was some kind of an almost standardized activity - with occasional exceptions, of course.

Besides, I have one very deep personal reason as well: Bf 109 E probably was the last type of a legendary airplane that was piloted by a guy wearing spectacles during the Battle of Britain.:roll:

BF 109 E-3, 7/JG 51, 1940

So here you have a real-life picture of my personal trance connected with Bf 109. I don’t know is this airplane that very personal machine of late Mr. Friedrich Beckh - the ‘short-sighted’ ace of the JG 51 – but, after all, that is completely irrelevant. The only important things are our memories and sentiments connected with those times and those irreproducible personalities.

Once again – thank you for the opportunity. In the meantime - al the best!:wink:

I’m going to be really cheeky and say that my favourite has to be, theoretically, the 109Gs with the Merlin engines as used by the Spanish Air Force (and in the BoB film). I would love to think that it was a marriage made in heaven (but does anyone have any performance data on the Spanish 109 / Hispano Aviacion Ha 1112s?)

I’m going to be really cheeky and say that my favourite has to be, theoretically, the 109Gs with the Merlin engines as used by the Spanish Air Force (and in the BoB film). I would love to think that it was a marriage made in heaven (but does anyone have any performance data on the Spanish 109 / Hispano Aviacion Ha 1112s?)

The Messers made in spain get the prize for the ugliest variant I guess.

I agree it didn’t look good, but the Merlin seems to have given it 665 Km/h against the Bf 109G-6’s 622 km/h, and greater range - 765 km against 724 km. But I’d be interested in any other tech details, if they are available.

According to War Prizes by Phil Butler, this was a Bf 109G-6/U2 flown by Horst Prenzel, landed at Manston, 21/07/44. Tested before crashing beyond repair on 23/11/44.

According to War Prizes by Phil Butler, this was a Bf 109G-6/U2 flown by Horst Prenzel, landed at Manston, 21/07/44. Tested before crashing beyond repair on 23/11/44.

Thanks for the correction.

I agree it didn’t look good, but the Merlin seems to have given it 665 Km/h against the Bf 109G-6’s 622 km/h, and greater range - 765 km against 724 km. But I’d be interested in any other tech details, if they are available.

The sources gave several maximum speeds for the G-6 like 620, 623, 625 km/h, the fact is that many people forgot that is the maximum speed with the normal power, but the G-6 made after August 1943 had an MW-50 system (wather-methanol injection) wich boosted the DB-605A from 1475hp to 1700 hp for 5 minutes, the maximum speed with this system was some like 655-660 km/h.

Feels like a game of Top Trumps :smiley:

Mine still beats yours :wink:

Or “The fast and the Furious” :mrgreen: , funny enough the Nitrous oxide was also used in some german fighter but it was corrosive and shortened the engine life.

MW-50 tank in BF-109G-14.

I did wonder about the nitrous - and what real use it was except to escape or initial pursuit. Not much use in an actual dogfight.

I’m becoming more intrigued by the Spanish model - I wonder whether weights had to be placed in the tail to compensate for the heavier engine. Sort of opposite of the U2 version with the wooden tail that was heavier than aluminium, requiring weights at the front?

I cannot found a good site about it, but I know that the spanish HA-112 had several stability troubles due the change of center gravity, same happen with the Czech variant made by Avia.

Very nice rendering of the BF109G-6/R6 variant devoted antibomber aircraft.

This aircraft could also include a harder hitting centerline MK 108 30mm cannon, in the BF-109G-6/U4/R6.

Quoted speeds for most aircraft are usually manufacturers specs and usually in a clean condition. These speeds were rarely attained in combat, especially as the plane aged.

Regards digger.