What sort of uniform is that?

This picture was taken at the Soviet Soldiers Mausoleum in Warsaw.
Can anybody help me to identify the uniform of that soldier?

The cap and collar looks very much like a Polish officer’s uniform.

Looks like a polish cavalryman (ulan) to me.
But what is he doing at the Soviet Soldiers’ Mausoleum?

His name: Андрей Федорович Самуилик or Andrzej Fedorowicz Samujlik sounds a bit polish and his uniform is polish too.
That’s really strange, because the mausoleum in Warsaw was established few years after the end of war, and was a final cemetry for all Soviet (only) soldiers buried in Warsaw area.
Polish soldiers had their military cemetries, so I can see no point in buring this guy there.

If he was a Polish, why was he buried at Soviet cemetry?
If he was a Soviet, why there is a picture of him in Polish uniform?
If he was Polish in the Red Army, why did they install that picture instead a one with Soviet uniform?
Or maybe he was a Polish who lived on territories taken over by the Soviet Union in 1939, and then he was enlisted to the RA?
But then, no matter what, Soviet authorities would like to hide his true origin.

I think there may be some bigger story behind it.

This man is Самуйлик Андрей Федорович, which you can also read on the stone.

He was born village Охово (Ohovo), Жабчицкий district, (Zhabchitsky), Пинская обл. (Pinsk region)
(look up on the map)

Rank: private of 47th army, 460 detached mortar regiment of High Command’s reserves.
Conscripted: 1944
Function: Mortar loader
KIA: 27.10.1944
Wife’s name: Анна Спиридоновна Самуйлик

The stown looks a different from the rest.
MAybe it was erected by the relatives later on?
F.ex. like this one: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plik:CmZolnierzyRadzieckich3.JPG

Thanks Egorka, you’re really fast :slight_smile:

Probably you’re right. But there is nothing written from the family. Maybe he was exhumed couple years after the cemetry was established.
Or maybe his identity was veryfied not so long ago. Till today, about 1/3 of 23.000 buried there have been identified.
Anyway, his story seems more and more interesting to me.

What if:
he was a polish cavalryman-reservist (age 26 in 1939), who joined the polish ressistance?
There were strong AK units operating in this area till 1944. So when the Red Army arrived, his unit might have been disarmed and he might have been forced to join the Red Army.
It sounds possible to me.

The information I got on him is accessable online on the site http://www.obd-memorial.ru/Memorial/Memorial.html
It is only in Russian.

If you type his name: “Самуйлик Андрей Федорович” into the search - you get one hit. Click on it.

Now you can see some info on him. If you click on “донесения о безвозвратных потерях”, then the scan of the document is loaded and his name will be highlighted in red (he is the last one on the list).

I already wrote here all the info on him except the place of his original burial, which is
"at the height 96,6 next to … (cann’t read) , Warsaw voevodstvo, Prazhsky uyezd, Yablonno-Legionovsakay volost. " (SPELLING?)

I’ve googled “samujlik pińsk” and here is what I found:
http://www.radzima.org/pub/miesta.php?lang=pl&rajon_id1=brpi

And on the right:

Здравствуйте!

Я обращаюсь к вам с таком вот делом…
Моего прадедушки никогда я не узнал. Моим дедушкой был Иван Самуйлик (Jan Samujlik), а бабушкой Анна (родовая фамилия : Чечура). Они жили в деревне Лопатино, Пинский район. Моя мать, Нина Самуйлик, родилась 5 марта 1933 г. в Лопатино. У неё были два брата: Алёша, а имени второго я не знаю. После Большой Отечественной Войны - с отцом Иваном - она уехала в Польшу. Здесь oна вышла за муж. Только что я, Здислав Служевский, один из двух сыновей Нины, ищу ещё живущей семьи Самуйликoв в Лопатино, в Беларуси и где-нибудь.
Может быть у Вас есть какая-либо информация o семье Самуйликoв живущей в Лопатино?
С уважением,
Здислав Служевский, Польша / Zdzisław Służewski, Polska [ slavic50{a}tut.by ]

Do you think that they may be relatives?
I know that he mentioned a different village, but I cannot find it on the map.
But what if “our guy” was the second brother?

People with sirname Самуйлик in the list of repression victims.
http://lists.memo.ru/index18.htm
Самуйлик Агрипина Феоровна
Родилась в 1892 г., Минская губ., Минского, Лопатино; белорусы; неграмотн.; Проживала: Пинская обл., Пинский.
Приговор: приб. на спецпоселение в Архангельскую обл. 09.03.40, Пинежский р-н, Кокорная. 18.01.41 справка О возвращении семьи Самуйлик выдана 24.01.41 НА ОСН. заключения УНКВД Пинской ОБЛ. ОТ 24.09.40 О неправильности выселения семьи. выселению НЕ подлежали.
Источник: База данных “Польские спецпереселенцы в Архангельской обл.”

Самуйлик Анастасия Захаровна
Родилась в 1923 г., Минская губ., Пинский, Лопатино; белорусы; малограмотн.; Проживала: Пинская обл., Пинский, Лопатино.
Приговор: приб. на спецпоселение в Архангельскую обл. 09.03.40, Пинежский р-н, Кокорная. 18.01.41 справка О возвращении семьи Самуйлик выдана 24.01.41 НА ОСН. заключения УНКВД Пинской ОБЛ. ОТ 24.09.40 О неправильности выселения семьи. выселению НЕ подлежали.
Источник: База данных "Польские спецпереселенцы в Архангельской обл.

Самуйлик Захар Данилович
Родился в 1895 г., Минская губ., Пинский, Лопатино; белорусы; малограмотн.; Проживал: Пинская обл., Пинский, Лопатино.

Самуйлик Надежда Захаровна
Родилась в 1918 г., Минская губ., Пинский, Лопатино; белорусы; неграмотн.; Проживала: Пинская обл., Пинский, Лопатино.

Самуйлик Федор Захарович
Родился в 1921 г., Минская губ., Пинский, Лопатино; белорусы; малограмотн.; Проживал: Пинская обл., Пинский, Лопатино.

so far I do not think they are related…

ЛОПАТИН (ЛАПАЦIН), встречается ЛОПАТИНО, — деревня, центр сельсовета, объединяющего населенные пункты Колбы, Конюхи, Морозовичи, Полхово, Хлебы — 369 хозяйств, 857 жителей.

По состоянию на 1 января 1998 года в Лопатине насчитывалось 149 хозяйств, 428 жителей.

Первое упоминание относится к 1524 году. Королева Бона подтвердила прежние привилегии на земли и данников в Лопатине Ширмичам, имевшим происхождение из рода Сыропят, а конкретно Мартину Яновичу, войскому пинскому. Он и его потомки унаследовали владения деда и отца. М.Ширмич умер в 1563 году, имея сыновей Станислава. впоследствии занявшего должность отца, Розмысла, Войтеха, Криштова.

С древности здесь была известна одна из самых старых церквей на Полесье. Они наделялись особыми привилегиями, а священники в документах назывались «королевскими попами». Храм сгорел в 1618 году.

Через брак Матеуша Бутримовича с Кристиной Лях-Ширмой лопатинский удел переходит (1774 г.) пинскому подстаросте. К северу от деревни обустраивается новая усадьба. В 1784 году ее посетил польский король Станислав Август Понятовский. Во второй половине XX века имением владели Чайковские. До 1939 года земля была разделена между несколькими помещиками.

Перед Великой Отечественной войной в Лопатине числилось 140 дворов, проживало 489 жителей. В мае 1944 года оккупанты уничтожили 125 дворов, а в июле — церковь.

More on Lopatino: http://zip.belpost.by/zip_code/225747

But I could not locate it on the map.
It is on the other side of Pinsk (about 12 km away) from the direction to Okhovo.

There is also a 20 years of age difference between him and the mother of Здислав Служевский. It is just a coincidence.
Thanks a lot for the info Egorka :slight_smile:

Is there an article about this burial?
The picture is from a news agency. Did they make a report on the subject or something?

So he was disarmed and them …armed , fighting with the Red Army.
Sounds like nonsense.

I know that a lot of things sound like a nonsense to you, but don’t worry mate, it is not your fault :slight_smile:
And is not my problem neither :slight_smile:
Plenty of AK units were sorrounded by the Soviets and then disarmed. Officers were arrested and sent to Siberia, and privates were given a choice: join the Red Army (or Polish People’s Army- what a difference…) or join your officers on the trains to the Far East.

I bet you didn’t have that in school on history lesson!

I’m no expert, on Red Army, but form friends of mine years ago came the information that for the Soviets, what amounted to recruitment at gun-point was not at all unusual in Poland, Yugoslavia, Czecheslovakia, or anywhere else the Soviet Military boot trod.

Regards, Uyraell.

Don’t forget the many Polish Communists who might have used the situation to get rid of their enemies within the Polish institutions. Later they made the exile government in Moskow, and formed the Polish peoples army, who with it’s own Air and Tank regiments contributed to win the battle of Berlin.

And I don’t think even Polish history is so black and white as you describes. But no matter how we are turning the Polish history around, most Poles had only two choices, Cancer of Cholera.

But I admire the Poles for not selling their sole to the devil, like the Baltic Countries and Finland.

What a nice idilia:)
All the officers has been send to Syberia, but whom then have organized th Polish people Army and polish GB?
Oh i’ve forgot- it was utter the “dressed up” the Soviet officers who later forced the 3 mln of Polish poor workers to enter in Polish communist party :slight_smile:

I bet you didn’t have that in school on history lesson!

Are you kidding, we teach our children of Polish view on history since the kindergarten:D
It makes them so much fun…

There were some Poles who served in the Red Army–Konstantin Rokossovsky was born in Warsaw, served in the Imperial Russian Army and later the Soviet Army, lost several teeth during the Great Purge in 1937, but later commanded the Central Front during the push to Berlin and was the commander of the post-war Polish Army

That’s true.
the Rokossovsky had a polish origin. For me ,he was probably the most smart top commander of Red Army.