What was this used for?

I was going through the crawlspace today because we are having pipes put in and of course I had to go and volunteer to clean it out. Anyways during my expedition I came across this the markings as you can see say U.S. There is a pocket in the back and the main pocket on the front under the flap has another sub pocket in it. There is also one on the side as well. It looks to be that it was worn on the back judging by the straps though that is just my assumption. On the other bag I have it says Service Mask so I know what it was used for. This however has no marking aside from U.S. on it. I was just curious as to what this pack functioned for? Was it just a pack to carry misc. things or did it carry something like it was designed for it? Anyone know any insight I would appreciate it. Thank you. Here are some images of it.

Front:

Back:

Inside:

Oh man, my Grandpa has a bag just like that. It was used by soldiers to carry things, nothing in particular really.

Ahh excellent. I was playing CoD and I saw it on the back of the American Allies. I guess it was just their misc. bag. Thanks 8)

no problem :wink:

This thing is an M1944 Musette bag of late WW2, Korean war vintage and used by the US Army.

Jan

Thanks Jan. :smiley:

The musette bag was originally a part of officer’s equipment, since officers didn’t use the M1928 knappsack (a very bad design btw, it only could be worn with full web gear, because it didn’t have carrying straps of it’s own, but hooked into the M1910 web belt, and to get something out of it, you would have to dismantle it completely), to carry their personal gear (spare underwear, washing kit etc.). It was carried on a shoulder strap.
It was also used by pararoopers, who couldn’t wear the M1928 knappsack either.
Later many soldiers “aquired” them, because they were more practical than the knappsack. (BTW, the gasmask bag was also often emptied of it’s regular contents and used to carry stuff).

Jan