What's the Best/Your Favorite/Worst Contemporary Assault Rifle?

After seeing Tony’s great thread, I’m Just creating an opinion thread. Which CURRENT issue military rifle or “personal weapon” or whatever is the most effective, and has the best reputation? Or just looks the sharpest?

Or is this silly because there is little real usable differences between military firearms. But mention a weapon, give it’s purported strengths and weaknesses and why you think it deserves it reputation. Then maybe, the opposite. Which one is notable for a high rate of failures or lacking durability?

I guess I’m going to select a weapon I don’t really know that much about. The Heckler and Koch G36, but I think the weapon looks pretty cool and I recall the first time I saw it was footage from Kosovo where two Serb gun attempted to attack a Bundeswehr column in a Yugo, (a very bad choice) and were peppered with rifle and MG3 fire. I almost felt sorry for them as they were left to bleed to death…

Anyways, it’s pretty high tech looking and H&K seem to make exceptional weapons:

More specs:

I just think it’s cool. I have also heard only good things about it with one exception. But I can’t recall the specific complaint…

guess I’m going to select a weapon I don’t really know that much about. The Heckler and Koch G36, but I think the weapon looks pretty cool and I recall the first time I saw it was footage from Kosovo where two Serb gun attempted to attack a Bundeswehr column in a Yugo, (a very bad choice) and were peppered with rifle and MG3 fire. I almost felt sorry for them as they were left to bleed to death…

A video of the incident.
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=nlkE8xUBfN8

That one of the attackers could move after being hit so many times explain very well why I dont like the .223 caliber.

I do love the look of the H&K G36 espicially the G36C which is right here (I think this is a airsoft gun)

The G36C is the short barreled version of the regular G36, using a 5.56 NATO round and great weapon as I see it. Still the AK47 and Variants are one of the best assualt rifle chocies still. The M16A4 is a nice choice but its not my favorite, I like the M4 better. The Tavor is pretty cool gun too using a bullpup design and a pretty high rate of fire, MTAR21 is the smaller version which is said to be extreamly compact heres a pic

This I think is the CTAR21, almost like the MTAR21 which practilly mean the same thing (C in the CTAR means compact while the M in MTAR means micro)

The Tavor uses the 5.56 NATO round and has a rate of speed up to 900 m/s

And wow those serbs or watever they are got pwned, they had a tank on them and their car was shot hundreds of times

dont know if it was best or worst, but Calico had produced at least a proto of an infantry weapon along the lines of a crook of the elbow carbine, like the CAR-15-16, it was chambered for a new cartrige of 4.5 to 5 m.m. and had a magazine capacity of 100 rds. Though it wasnt adopted as far as I know, it was a good idea, and would have been better if conbined with a small bore grenade launcher.

I actually rather like the L85A2 (short, goes bang when you pull the trigger, great sling). The FN F2000 looks rather promising too.

i like old sturdy G3,… the G3 Canadian SAS looks pretty cool,.

sigh i can’t attach any picture

I’m with Gumalangi there, I like that weapon, though it is technically a full battle rifle (7.62x51 Nato).
G3 was the standard weapon when I was at the Bundeswehr and I had no probs controlling short auto bursts, never actually fired a full mag in auto, I kinda don’t see much sense in that…

The H&K G3 is a good gun, it is the base design for the G36C, H&K makes some of the best weapons like a favorite the MP5. Heres some pics the G3

Bother that free sign up thing

The FM FAL for me, when you hit one with that he goes down, and stay down.

Looks like a mixure of a G3 and a FNC

I know they aren’t technically “assault rifles” but I like them all.

WTF? The G36 is a slightly modified AR18, and about the only thing it has in common with the G3 is that they both go bang when you pull the trigger.

I believe there were MG3 machine-guns present (if memory serves correct). They may well have had a couple of 7.62mm rounds in them…

And I had a friend that had his kneecap shot off from what must have been a Dragunov 7.62X54mm rifle (I think the sniper had the center mass correct, but failed to account for the bullet’s drop). I think he said he managed to empty two magazines from his M-4 in the general direction the shot came from in a woodland…

I dont think so, note the MG 3 emplacement empty, seems that the loader was caught outside the Leopard 2.

But is possible the car had some 9 mm hits, note this guy shooting with a HK USP

Can you send me a link that says that, I can’t seem to find anything that says it is a slightly modified AR18, Doesn’t look like the Germans took the AR18design though

I only know the Stg44 so… I guess Stg44 with Vampyir IR scope.
There was also a Grenade Launncher Stg44 but that doesnt count, does it.

Your Google-fu is weak, young Padawan!

From the technical point of view, the G36 is a radical departure from all the previous HK rifles, based on the proven G3 roller-delayed system. The G36 is a conventional gas operated, selective fire rifle, made from most modern materials and using most modern technologies.

The receiver and most of the others external parts of the G36 are made from reinforced polymers, with steel inserts where appropriate. The operating system appears to be a modification of the older American Armalite AR-18 rifle, with its short stroke gas piston, located above the barrel, square-shaped bolt carrier and the typical rotating bolt with 7 locking lugs.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as14-e.htm

Your right, Sorry that I doubted you PDF

Thank You Germany your the best :slight_smile: (HK417)

best in close or long range,heavy firepower (M4)