Who has served in the military? And when?

Seems to me that that there’s a lot of people on this site who have served in various capacities and often many years ago, but also with a strong element more recently.

It would be interesting to see that service shown in a poll.

Congratulations, Rising Sun*!
I think that is a great idea to start a thread about such an interesting topic. As far i as concerned, when i was in the Army (1977/1978), for my Country it was peace time. So the only war i served it was (and still it is) the long war of my everyday life… It’s a kind of tough struggle that started about fiftythree years ago and isn’t yet over… :wink:
Best regards to all the boys that will post in this thread… :army:

Just going to say, where are Gulf Wars 2-10? :smiley:

Well between 1983 (not old enough to actually deploy until 1985 though) and 2007 I managed NI once, FRY 3 times, Iraq twice, Afghan once.

Sapper throughout.

they’ll be along in time for you to go over.:shock:

For clarification, the poll isn’t limited to people who were on active service in the wars listed but who served during those eras. This includes reserves / Territorials etc and other forces which could have been deployed, even if they weren’t.

I think you’re responsible for four out of the five eras voted on so far.

Yes, and the way things are going in Arabia and its environs lately, it’ll be sooner rather than later.

No option for those who are still serving, mostly in the twenty20 club and spar/mace/naafi shop - it’s thanks to the sacrifice of many of our waistlines that those shops are still in business.

I apologise for omitting that option.

I suppose it’s in the nature of an interest in military history that I look to the past. :frowning:

There doesn’t appear to be any way of inserting a currently serving option in the poll, but anyone who is currently serving is encouraged to post even if my focus on the past has unfortunately excluded them from the present in the poll.

Er well that’s me I suppose, defending UK interests, but only on weekends :slight_smile:

You might be in the thick of it. Japan started the Pacific War on a weekend.

Jolly well hope not, if a war kicks off on the weekend I might miss countryfile, and that won’t do!

I served during what is know as the “Vietnam Era”, in the USAF, 1974 to 1978. I was an Aircraft Avionics technician, primarily radios with some navigation systems thrown in. I started out working on the venerable B-52 bombers and KC-135 tankers. (SAC) Then I went to a squadron equipped with the C-130 aircraft, configured as an Airborne Command Post. (7th ACCS) My final stint was working on F-4 Phantoms. (TAC) Most of my time in the service was spent overseas in the Pacific area. My duty stations included Thailand and Okinawa, with TDY (temporay duty) in the Philippines and Korea. I had a great time and am proud to have served my country.

“C-130 aircraft, configured as an Airborne Command Post. (7th ACCS)”
MC 130, “Combat Talons” ? if my recall is correct, Laconia?
I’ve always considered the airborne command post variant of the c-130 to be one of the more interesting, along with the Ac-130H and U.

I’d be interested to learn more of those variants.

Kind and Respectful Regards Laconia, Uyraell.

I served in the US ARMY from 1966 (as a draftee) to retirement in 1991. I spent the first 11 years (including a tour in Viet Nam) in the Corps of Engineers. In 1977 I went into Special Operations (PSYOPs) and the Military Intelligence field. I remained in this field until retirement at the US ARMY SERGEANTS MAJOR, Ft. Bliss, TX - which is where I started my career (Basic Training) in 1966.

In addition to my VN tour I went to Germany 3 times, Korea twice, and Japan once, i.e. I spent about half my career overseas.

At various stages of my career I held at least 8 Military Occupational Specialties and several additional Skill Identifiers. I even did one involuntary tour as a Recruiter.

Perhaps my most satisfying duty was as First Sergeant of a Military Intel. Company in Korea during the 1988 Olympics.

I’m afraid I didn’t quite know where to put my ‘X’ on that poll. I was involved in that nasty bit of unpleasantness known as ‘Operation Claret’ in Indonesia during the 60’s along with my merry band of cutthroat Gurkhas of 7RGR, bless 'em! The existance of Claret wasn’t made public until 1974, so when the question was asked, “What did you do in the army, dad?” it was a case of “Oh, marched up and down a bit, wrote a few letters!”

Ealdwita - I had to Google Op. Claret - thank you. Any new history to me is welcome. From what I read you were truly knee deep in the shit.
I remember early one morning on the US Base in Seoul hearing bagpipes. On investigation I found the barracks of the Gurkha detachment and one of these soldiers (in kilts I think) playing the pipes. The British Army and the West in general have been fortunate to have such men serving.

TA, 2004-present. Never deployed although several friends have, one was KIA in Afghanistan 18 months ago.

Another one of my (increasingly obviously numerous) omissions comes to light. :oops:

I should have thought about things like Konfrontasi as Australian troops were involved. It doesn’t really fit into any of the categories I created for the poll.

Then again, other things I didn’t think about like the Malayan and Mau Mau emergencies don’t really fit either.

Given that I can’t edit the poll, I’d suggest that such things fit most nearly into the "Served national wars such as Falklands’ category.