Why we fight.

An seria of intersting american propogandic ww2 era film has been discovered by me in youtube. Dated by 1943. 7 parts. this onedevoted to Russia.Enough informative and contain the documental scenes both from German propogandic DW and soviet ones newsreels.A bit weird to hear the praising of “Soviet economical and military achievements” in American movie. ( seems the “Soviet regime” was OK when it was needed:)) Aslo i was wondering - no a single word about “partition of Poland” ang Molotov-ribbentrop pact( yet not a time for that obviously!!).Red Army is presented as a “noble peoples force” fighting the inviders . Also not a single world about Boshevic atrocities and famine.( what a suspicious forgetfulness ?!) The utter “worker’s paradise lead by the wise leaders” i.e. quite shocking matter for the modern western public.I was almost killed in a place when narrator affirmed about the " special soviet defensive strategy":mrgreen:.The endless soviet military failures in 1941 were presented as part of “special plan”:slight_smile: But film worthwhile of watching though - just to learn how tricky and deceptive could be american propogand of a time.

“Why We Fight” was certainly dastardly clever propaganda. However, it is not the only American film that presented all things Soviet in a positive light. You must also remember that in the 1930s, there were many actors, writers and producers that had various shades of left-wing sympathies. So, yes the film is not meant ad a documentary troubled with facts. But at the same time, there probably was a very limited knowledge of what was happening in the East, so a battle like Stalingrad could very well be seen as some sort of strategic ambush in absence of information…

It should be said that “Why We Fight” was controversial at the time because it showed dead U.S. soldiers being sewn up into burial shrouds in Italy…

Do you think those leftist migh specially to deceive the americans with what really going on in USSR?I heard most of those leftist vestern "soviet admirers’ also looked at the Germany very biased, if not to say with ill-concealed hate.

There may have been some deception on their part, but I’m not sure how much anyone really knew of what was going on in the USSR circa 1941-43. Their gaps of knowledge were perhaps filled with optimism…