William Wallace

Today is the 700th anniversary of the terrible death of William Wallace:

http://scotlandtoday.scottishtv.co.uk/content/default.asp?page=s1_1_1&newsid=8676

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/wallace.htm

A story of a man betrayed by his own countrymen by their own selfish actions.

Raise a glass for ‘The Wallce’

A true Hero.

Firefly is this wallace who Mel Gibson playing in Brave hearth.

Claus, is that a WAH?

LOL Clause, I really do love your sayings.

Yes he stoked the flames of freedom!

Ok my saings i tell many times my english is poor. :oops:

Dont worry about it.

Its better than my Deutsch

A hearth is a place where you start a fire.

A heart is what beats in your chest.

I like it…

Greetings from Argentina to that really Hero.

Would this be the same hero that sacked at least one nunnery? :twisted:

Don’t get me wrong, he was a very good commander and possibly a patriot, but I very much doubt that he was very a nice man. :lol:

for all you people that know about mr. wallace, what is the most dramatic historical inaccuracy of the film???

Greetings to the Great Sir William Wallace and to Scotland,a true hero

I think the Stirling Battle is one of the clarest mistakes.

The battle took place over the Stirling Bridge. The english forces were attacked by two flanks, when they were passing throw the bridge. The scotish wasted them.
In the movie we can see an open field battle, with the armies face to face. What’s more, the scotish use lances to stop the english cavalry advance. This tactics was used by Wallace, but in Falkirk battle, not in Stirling.

And of course, Robert Bruce didn¡t bretay Wallace. They fought toghether.

Greatest inaccuracy?

I have heard that there is no way on this planet Wallace could have bedded Long shanks daughter in law because she didn’t come around until after he died.

Few other things in their.

Didn’t Mel direct the film as well?

Erwin put forward

Greetings to the Great Sir William Wallace and to Scotland,a true hero

Do you even know who he is?

Not having a pop, but this seems to be another one of you non-posts that boost your count (although no trace of a smiley well done!) and given that the “knowledge” that you put forward on Ireland was complete bonk.

I’m surprised you haven’t said the Scots are your friends you have no quarrel with them and they should join you to fight the oppressive English who subjegated them. Or that the grass is green in Scotland or something.

We know you’re here Erwin, don’t make so much noise.

Probably from the opening titles until the closing ones, apart from that I think he got the rest right :?

Oh I agree, by our standards he was more than likely somoene we wouldnt like to meet.

Times maketh the man I suppose.

I thought he was a loving and caring man, look how he married his wife by the river at night.

Very romantic.

And his speaches were great.

The RHF went ballistic on a ferry after watching it, they had just come back from Bosnia, the “black gang*” from the engine room had to come up and sort it out.

You can just imagine the scene can’t you, tanked up RHF fighting with the engine room lads!!!

They also torched a Discovery on the car deck, who had cut some of them up on the way!!!

All hi jinks though.

*Traditional name for the engine room boys, ie coal = black. Not raciet. Although no doubt very un-PC.

isnt this a hollywood movie, isnt there meant to be many inaccracies, i mean just look at Troy

but to get back on topic, Will Wallace was a true patriot to the Scottish people, and whether personally he was a good person or a bad person, there shouldnt be a reason why a Scotsman wouldnt love the man

Save for the sacking of nunneries?

My Scottish history is not very good (which would disappoint my maternal Grandfather), but why would all Scots like him? Isn’t there some history of friction between Lowlanders and Highlanders?

One of the biggest innacuracies is portraying Wallace as some sort of poor kilted highland peasant when he was actually a lowland knight who would have worn armour and wouldn’t have been seen dead in a kilt. He might not have been well off but he probably had lands and tenants of his own.

I did read that the French princess he’s knobbing in the film was actually 7 when he died - anyone know if it’s true (can’t remember her name, so I can’t Google it)?