Winston Churchill

A moving little video clip on Winston Churchill that I found on Youtube by “ShaunW19”

“ShaunW19” - A collage I made of Winston Churchill (The Gathering Storm. ), World War II clips and Saving Private Ryan to the theme from Cast Away. I did it for a history presentation last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytco_2JytHc

fantastic thankyou.

You’re welcome Lee :slight_smile:

“ShaunW19” at YouTube did a fine job on this video. Kudos to Shaun.

Good stuff there.

great video…amazing video…but i noticed something in that video, i saw a flamethrower, i know that the movie wasnt accurate but i know the flamethrower wasnt used in d-day…right

Thanks. Indeed a great job by Shaun.

Thanks Rifleman, but actually flamethrowers were used on D-Day.

Flamethrower
From Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamethrower

USA
In the Pacific theatre, the US Marines used the backpack-type M2A1-7 flamethrower and M2-2 flamethrowers, finding them especially useful in clearing Japanese trench and bunker complexes. In cases where the Japanese were protected from the flames by deep caves, the burning flames often consumed the available oxygen, suffocating the occupants. The Marines eventually stopped using their infantry-portable systems with the arrival of adapted Sherman tanks with the Ronson system (c.f. flame tank). The U.S. Army used flamethrowers in Europe to clear out German bunkers, notably during Operation Overlord.

Omaha Beach: The First Wave
http://cghs.dadeschools.net/normandy/operationoverlord/omaha/first_wave.htm

The Allied plan for Omaha was accurate and complex. It had the 116th regiment going in on the right (west). The C Company of the 2nd Ranger Battalion would support them. The 16th Regiment of the 1st Division would go in the left. This, in turn, would create a linear assault with the two regiments going in by companies abreast. There were eight sectors, from right to left named Charlie, Dog Green, Dog White, Dog Red, Easy Green, Easy Red, Fox Green, and Fox Red. The 116th’s sectors included Charlie to Easy Green. The first waves would consist of two battalions from each of the regiments, landing in a column. Assault teams would cover the beach with fires from M-1s, .30 caliber machine guns, BARs, bazookas, 60mm mortars, and flame-throwers. The DD tanks, navy underwater demolition teams, and Army engineers would come ahead of them. Each assault team was all geared with specific tasks to open a particular exit. As the infantry suppressed German firepower, the demolition teams would blow the obstacles and mark the paths with flags so the coxswains would know where it was safe to go. The following waves of landing craft would then come with reinforcements geared to put firepower from M-1s to 105mm howitzers when needed. By H plus 120 minutes the vehicles would be driving up the opened ravines to the bluff and then move inland to Vierville, St Laurent, and Colleville.

The First Hours of D-Day on Omaha Beach
[ Excerpted from Omaha Beachhead (6 June-13 June 1944) American Forces in Action Series. Historical Division. War Department (Washington, D.C.: Center of Military History, Facsimile Reprint, 1984), pp. 35-87 ]
http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Omaha.html

To the east, in the 16th RCT’s area, the picture differed only in detail. Easy Red Beach, over a mile long and fronting E-1 draw, was assigned to the 2d BLT, with Companies E and F landing in the first wave. The bulk of both companies landed far to the east. The only infantry to come in on Easy Red in the first wave were two lost boat sections of Company E, 116th RCT, and one section each of Companies E and F, 16th RCT. All of them were between E-1 and E-3 draws. Men from two of the craft were put out in waist-deep water, but hit a deep runnel as they waded in and had to swim through surf and a strong tidal current pulling them eastward. Flamethrowers, mortars, bazookas, and many personal weapons were dropped in the struggle. The two 116th sections lost only two men from enemy fire up to the shingle–an experience suggesting the ill-fortune of the first wave in that so few landings were made on Easy Red. A little to their left, the 1st Section of Company F came into the belt of heavy enemy fire that apparently extended from there on eastward to E-3 draw; of the 31 men unloading in neck-deep water, only 14 reached the shingle. Except for these four sections-about a hundred men-the only assault elements on Easy Red Beach for the first half hour were four DD tanks, one already disabled. …

Company C came in at 0710 a thousand yards east of the Vierville exit, on Dog White, in a mislanding that was to work out to ultimate advantage. One of its 6 craft ran into a mined obstacle, and was delayed 20 minutes in maneuvers to get free without setting off the mines. The others came in fairly close together, suffering only one mishap when a craft thrown by the surf against a ramp turned over on its side, spilling men and equipment into water four to five feet deep. This boat section had been equipped for mopping-up work at the Vierville draw, and all its flamethrowers, demolition charges, bangalores, and mortars were lost. Enemy fire was surprisingly light, possibly because Company C was near the western end of the belt of smoke coming from grass fires on the bluff slopes. Only five or six casualties were suffered in disembarking and getting across the open sand. No other troops were near them; only four or five tanks were in sight. Bunched together on a front of about a hundred yards, Company C’s men took shelter behind the four-foot timber sea wall and reorganized. Most of their equipment was intact, their sections were well together, and they were in relatively better shape for action than any unit so far landed in the 116th’s zone.

From: U.S. Army in World War II: Cross-Channel Attack, The European Theater, Kent Roberts Greenfield, General Editor, National Historical Society, 1994, pp 190 - 193

winston was a great ww2 pm i have a plate with his photo given to me by my grandmother 20 years ago on my wall. its a pity the english people did not want him after the war was over.

there was a survey carried out at schools and winston churchill now is fictional, according to the school children in this country. what are the kids taght these days, cos history aint on the agenda. I dont understand it. where have we gone wrong in this country

‘Swinging-Sixities’ my friend - bless 'em! :smiley:

Shaun didn’t do bad job, however the Saving Private Ryan bits could have been salvaged from some old Black and Whites with British Troops. Would have been better.

SPR could have been used for a similar take on Eisenhower or American leaders of the time.

Or perhaps it would have been fitting with both the UK and US leaders being featured. I don’t know, it doesn’t quite work.

As for Churchill being fiction. I think the list also includes Gandhi, Florence Nightingale, Monty, Duke of Wellington (IIRC) and numourous others.

A poor showing for our history education me thinks. And goes to show what I said on a previous thread on this board should stand. Historically based films should have a rating on how true to fact they are, and (esp for DVDs or BluRay) have some educational matierial chucked in for good measure.

Maybe even a narrative. You get the director talking all lovvie about how he likes this clip or that clip, how about a historical narrative (some films could even use the people who were there).

Private Ryan may suddenly become a little bit more appealing if a narrative of REAL D Day survivors came up during the run in to the beach, during the initial storming, and during the aftermath. Just a few words, or a whole chapter.