Winter Solstace

Today is the Winter Solstace, the shortest day of the year. I’m sitting here in my Goatskin Leggings, Mistletoe draped all over my Goose fat oiled chest and a pair of Deer Antlers tied to my head to cap it all off.

Its only 1430 GMT and the Sun is going down, it will be fully dark by about 1530 and it only got fully light at 0920 this morning.

So my question is, what time does it get light and dark where you are, and what do you wear to celebrate the Solstice?

Isn’t that normal working dress for a Jock?

The sun rose at 0848 and will set at 1629.

To celebrate, I will be wearing a pair of clogs, a thickly applied layer of Albert Heijn Frituur fat, a pair of goat skin gloves, a Pickelhaube, a small enamelled Dutch flag pinned through my left nipple, and nothing else. My wife will be similarly attired, with the substitution of coconut oil for the frituur fat. The pets will also be shaved and liberally greased.

We will parade through the neighbourhood, singing, chanting, incanting, getting cold, banging drums, rattling rattles, and throwing raw steak at neighbourhood children. For sustenance throughout the longest night, we will lick grease off the cats and each other.

We will finish the evening just before sunup tomorrow morning, when our lawyers will come to our cell and tell us that we are being sectioned.

Ah you just cant beat that kind of party. I also like it when my friends show me photos of what I cant remember doing after drinking 15 Pints of Tomintoul Stag!

Almost dark here, another 45mins or so. Wasn’t light here until about 8:45.

Its Pitch Black here now and has been for a wee while, almost time to go and light up the Wicker Man, which we have filled up with our Christian neighbours. SHould be a good one this year!

Today here:

Sun came out at 7:49
Sun will leave at 18:08

You lucky Boy, I havent seen the fabled Golden Disk for days now, it must be up there somewhere though, and I have faith that it will re-appear sometime in June for 2 days, ah the Scottish Summer, a whole 2 days when you can take your gloves off.

But then the mosquitoes will bite your hands :shock:

Midges my lad. I’d rather have a thousand Mosquitoes than 20 Midges, little biting bastards they are the Midges.
I tend to throw my youngest child at them! Then continue on my way.

Your midges up there are bigger than our mosquitoes down south!

What i find amusing is that i live near stonehenge, where all the loonies who celebrate winter solstice congregate, and this year they couldn’t see a damn thing as it was too foggy! 1:Nil to the locals!!! :twisted: :twisted:

When I lived down there I was eagre to visit StoneHenge, it was a bit of a dissapointment when I did, but Avebury is impressive and Silbury Hill even more so, its about the size of a Pyramid and was made with very primative tools.

A very historical place Wiltshire…