Worcs TA: Grandson of D. Tuffy seeking Info. Please Help!

Hello

I am new to this forum. I thought I’d try my luck and see if anyone could give me any advice about obtaining my Grandfathers Military service records. My Grandfather was Dennis John Tuffy and he lived in Kidderminster, Worcestershire.

According to my Uncles he joined the Territorial Army before the outbreak of the Second World War. I know from my Mother that he was part of the British Expeditionary Force that was evacuated at Dunkirk.

I’ve tried writing to the Military Records Office in Scotland but they were unable to find any records for him. This was partly down to the fact that I am unsure what his army number was and what regiment he was in. My Grandfather died in 1981 and at that time I was only 5 years old so naturally didn’t get to ask him about his experiences during the War. According to my Mother; although she says she’s not sure, as he didn’t often talk about the War; he was at one time a Sergeant, but for some reason was busted down to a Corporal. I have no idea why, or even if this happened? I also know that he did some boxing while in the Army.

I have two pieces of Information about his service. I have his wedding certificate for 1943, which says that his profession was: Driver 1472497 Search light Battery. The other bit of evidence I have is a Newspaper article, which was in the Kidderminster Shuttle on 17th November 1979 (commemorating forty years since Dunkirk) and has a picture of my Granddads regiment being inspected by his Majesty King George the 6th at Wantage, Berkshire. Once I become more familiar with this site I will try to put a scan of this article on my profile page.

I would like to obtain his service records in order to help me with family history research I am doing. Also I would really like to obtain copies of his medals (which I understand he didn’t claim) and lastly I would really like a copy of the photograph of his regiment being inspected by the King in the newspaper article. I’m not sure if this photograph is an official military photo but if it is I would really be grateful if someone would be kind enough to help me to obtain an official copy.

I have recently written to the local TA office in Kidderminster to see if they have any records there. I would be most grateful for any information or advice anyone might be able to offer me. If anyone out there was in the same regiment or knew my Granddad I’d especially like to hear from you.

Best Wishes
Kevin

Welcome to the site and hope to help! :slight_smile:

Hi

Thank you very much for your warm welcome! God Bless America and also Great Britain.

Regards
Kevin

Hi

Can anyone tell me how to post images in my topic? I’ve seen other topics with images in.

Thanks
Kevin

Well kevin you can do this [imghttp://www.whatnotsoever.com[/img] or use the URL.

Hi Kevin

I’ve posted on your other thread before I read this one. However, the advice on the other thread is as valid for this one.

If he was in a Search Light Battery, he may have been in the Royal Artillery or Royal Engineers. However, a number of units were re-roled from Infantry or whatever to Artillery during WW2.

Thus, he may have joined as an infanteer for example, but ended up a Gunner.

If he was a Dvr (equivalent to Private) in 1943, he would be doing well to make Sgt by the end of the War. If he was by then in the Royal Artillery, he would have progressed through the ranks of Gunner/Dvr, Lance Bombardier, Bombardier before becoming a Sgt.

You might want to get this book from a library:

Anti-Aircraft Artillery 1914-55, Brig N W Routledge, Brassy’s 1994, ISBN 1 857753 099 3

It covers British AA, including searchlights, in some depth.

If we can find out which Battery he was in, then I should be able to tell you where they were deployed.

Have you tried the public records office? If you have his reg number you should be able to get his records.

As fluffy said many units were transferred from inf to RA and latter on in 44 re-rolled back to inf.

Try the reg museum, if nothing else you will have an idea of what the unit did. If your grandfather was part of the BEF then at that time he probably was infantry.

Looking at the Worcestershire reg site there are similar numbers to your grandfather but with 8 figures not 7. It also shows that they had a number of Bn but only shows this for the first war. But on the casualty list it shows these Bns reformed but dose not give the history.

http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/wr.php?main=inc/roll_honour_WW2_F

you may also find this of use

http://regiments.org/regiments/uk/volmil-england/vinf-mi/wo-8.htm

Hello

Thank you all for your advice. I’ve definately got a few avenues to try now in order to trace his records.

I’ve tried to paste a copy of the article I’ve mentioned but so far to no avail so I thought I’d type it up here instead.

The article is as follows:

"17th November 1979

When the local weekend soldiers prepared to go to France.

My note last week about the forthcoming 40th anniversary of the outbreak of the Second World War soon brought a response from readers who can readily remember ‘the day war broke out’.
Mr Fk Ns of ** Cht Grove, Franche, sends me this picture of local Territorials who were called to the colours before the actual declaration of war.
There were a great many weekend soldiers in the Kidderminster area who belonged mainly to the 7th Bn Worcestershire Regt, the Worcestershire Yeomanry or the 8th Army Field Workshops, ROAC.
The photograph was taken at Wantage, Berkshire, on the day when the Yeomanry or 53rd Anti-Tank Regiment, RA, was visited by King George the VI. The regiment was then part of the 48th Division and were under orders to join the BEF in France.
Mr N
*s is second from the right and the photograph should bring back memories to other local Territorials who are still in the District. Among the soldiers on parade that day were K H
l, Ge Rr, Py Ns, the late V Sh, R. Dn and R** A**s.
The Officer on parade is Lt. H
n S
s, RA, one of the many who lost their lives before and during the evacuation from Dunkirk. The two batteries from Kidderminster and Bewdley suffered very heavy losses.
Those who survived are able to keep in touch with others by means of an Old Comrades’ Association which meets monthly at The Shrubbery, Birmingham Road, on the second Wednesday in each month at 8pm. The meetings provide oppurtunities not only to re-kindle old friendships but to help old pals who may be in need.
Anyone wanting further information should contact the chairman, Mr D
k W*d, TD, the secretary, Mr R . . J, or Mr W. . Bt.
A date to put in the diary is October 13 when the annual reunion dinner will be held at the Shrubbery. I am told that a hearty welcome will be extended to all ex-officers and other ranks of the old regiment."

I’ve blanked the names of those mentioned in the article out, because I’m not sure if it’s fair to print them without permission. Actually typing this up has given me some more ideas. I could start by seeing if their are still veterans that meet up periodically.

Best Wishes
Kevin