World's Finest Assault Rifle

HK G36

AN-94

FN-SCAR

Which one is the finest? if there are better, add more.

The finest, and possibly the most expensive, has to be the SIG550. Extremely accurate, reliable, lovely to shoot, easy to maintain (although getting the gas plug back in can be slightly fiddly!)

People seem to like the G36 and SCAR cos they’re warry & space-age & have random things bolted on. The AN94 is over-complicated, although the action is very interesting from a mechanical standpoint.

Of all the 5.56mm assault rifles I’ve handled or fired, the SIG is by far the most comfortable - the control layout is /almost/ perfect, the folding butt locks solidly and is very comfortable, the integral bipod is light yet strong, the sights are nice, and more importantly it shoots extremely straight!

Not sure it is the most expensive MoS.
Isn’t that title held by the Brit issue SoS (aka SA80) ?
:wink:

Not sure it is the most expensive MoS.
Isn’t that title held by the Brit issue SoS (aka SA80) ?
:wink:[/quote]

Sorry, yes - that is now (after all the mods) the most expensive piece of meccano ever built.

I really meant “off-the-shelf” price, cos you can’t buy L85s cos they’re not made any more (thankfully).

i like the M14. heavy barrel, very sturdy and realible. accurate
i use it (as is, factory delivery) in hi-power competitions, i always blow away the guys with those fancy smancy, 3000 doller decked out competition AR15s

You might get into less trouble if you aimed at the tgts !
:wink:

Too bad the M14 is not an Assault rifle…

Isn’t the M2 Carbine technically an assault rifle? Shortened cartridge, and select fire.

Not another assult (sic) rifle thread!!

DerMann, shouldn’t you name be DerEiserneMann?

Jan :twisted:

Too bad the M14 is not an Assault rifle…

Isn’t the M2 Carbine technically an assault rifle? Shortened cartridge, and select fire.[/quote]

NO! Read the Ironman threads! Under some broader definitions, yes, but it’s not really a shortened rifle cartridge, more a lengthened pistol cartridge firing a pistol bullet. And is not effective at 300m.

ive always considerd the M14 a assault rifle.
to me, if it automatic, and has a removable mag, its an assault rifle.
here in the state of ohio, its considerd an Assayult rifle

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guys, if you don’t understand, please ask Tubbyboy!! :lol: :lol:

Now that IS funny !
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Doesn’t fire an intermediate cartridge. Most of them weren’t select-fire.

And don’t get confused with the US legal definition of an “assault weapon” and the actual military definition(s) of “Assault rifle”. Not one single “assault rifle” was affected by the 1994 “assault wpn ban”. If it ain’t select-fire, it ain’t an assault rifle.

To summarise, they variously describe it as:

Select-fire, capable of controlled auto fire from the shoulder
Intermediate cartridge
Effective range at least 300m

EDIT: the term “assault weapon” for the 1994 cosmetic feature ban was designed explicitely to cause confusion in people’s minds, to make them think that select-fire rifles were being banned - that twat Josh Sugarmann admitted as much at the time.

Er Stoat, 7.62NATO is still classified as an intermediate cartridge isn’t it?

bail out fast, This had gone from a waaaaah to a Troll, dont feed the assault rifle demons!!!

READ IRONMANS CARBINE POSTS TO SAVE US ALL A HEADACHE

Not by a long shot

Not by a long shot[/quote]

Quite, bas - it’s basically a .30 M2 in a marginally shorter package, made possible by improvements in powder technology. It’s still got the same ballistics though. Therefore full-power.

I have heard positive reviews of the G36 but I’ve never fired it. It looks good in movies and such. It it true that the Uk army is going to switch to G36?

Oh, god, “it looks good in movies”. Sorry, but that’s tragic.

No, there are no current (official) plans for the UK to switch to the G36, having just spent a bajillion pounds flogging the dead horse that is the L85.

Come back in 10 years though…