Wrong picture information

These aren’t “germans on retreat”, but rather the 44. Infanterie Division Reichsgrenadiere “Hoch und Deutschmeister”, which my grandfathers brother served in.

This is not the Reichstag, as the Reichstag was burned down before, and not restored while Hitler was in power.

It’s the Kroll Oper.

Hitler ain’t inspecting troops here (as the comment says), but rather a parade of SA men, recognized by their caps.

These aren’t german troops keeping their heads down, but rather an infantery squad taking a ride in a SdKfz 250/251… :wink:

Good job! Keep adding more that you think need to be changed.

“German officer looking through Artillery scope”

This RK holder is Friedrich Carl.

“German Grenadiers”

The picture was taken in Stalingrad.

“German officer in the field”

It’s General Heinz Guderian.

“Officer called Wagner”

It’s Adolf Wagner, Gauleiter of Munich.

“Indian soldiers fighting for the German army”

There part of a Waffen SS unit named “Indische SS Legion”.

“German troops presenting arms”

This was taken at Heydrich resident in Prague.

I’m 100% sure that this is not 1944, but July 1941 - Wehrmacht pushing hard towards Moscow.

Lancer44

True - but should be described as “German soldiers in Tractors Factory, Stalingrad”.

Cheers,

Lancer44

I never said it was 44, I said it’s the 44.Infanterie division.

And as I have relatives who served in it, I’m definatly sure about that.

Btw they never pushed for Moscow, but bypassed it way south.

The division was totaly annihilated in Stalingrad (most of them went to prison)
but later refounded.

Hi Stauffenberg,

Coincidence and misunderstanding mate.
You’re absolutely right that this is 44 Division. I wouldn’t know. I just had seen this picture somewhere and remembered that it was 1941.
44 indicated 1944 obviously time of retreat.
I used expression “pushed for Moscow” just in lateral sense - “pushed East”.
I think that to avoid similar misunderstandings we should avoid abbreviations like 44 - lets write 44-th or 44-th ID. And for year always full 1944, 1943 etc.

Off topic

BTW - do you have any figures how big percentage od 44th Division soldiers returned home from soviet captivity?
And could they go to West Germany, even if their birthplaces were in Eastern part? You know what I mean?
I was born in OberSchlesien where a lot of fellows just disappeared, many of my school mates had no grandfathers or (the lucky ones), had grandfathers in West Germany.
In primary school I had very good friend, his name was Ewald Felke. He had grandfather which survived soviet camps, was repatriated to West Germany and tried to bring his family from Poland. It took him many years, finally in 1966 communists agreed and Felke’s were able to go.

Cheers mate,

Lancer44

Well I wrote 44. :wink:

Not all soldiers of the division went to Russia, some where released right away…

I have a detailed book written by members of the div, however they don’t have any numbers themself.

Possible description: Russian troups present captured german Banners and “Standarten” on the VE-Day parade, 1945

Russian tank (or pilots, need confirmation) crewmen at the VE-day Parade 1945

Russian Seamen at the…

Pictures of Lenin and Stalin at the…

T34/85 passing by at the…

Su76 parading at the…

Russian artillery tractors with towed at guns at the…

T34/85 uparmoured with Sandbags against hollow charge projectiles

Propably Finnish resistance fighters sabotaging russian tracks behind the frontier

T34/76 crossing a flooded plain after the snow melt in late spring.

German pioneers inspecting abandoned Russian T36/76 that got stuck in the mud after in late spring.

A russian T100 prototype Link: http://www.nemo.nu/ibisportal/5pansar/5sidor/t100.htm

A russian tank crew is beeing taken prisoner after their T34/76 got stuck in the mud.

T34/76 crew checking the area

There is a wrong picture link (linking nowhere) on page 34 of the German army section
http://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/germans?page=34

I don’t think that top picture is Russia, the track gauge doesn’t look like 5ft6"(Russian standard) it looks more like standard gauge 4ft8.5".

Yea, I suppose those are tracks in Finnland, just the area is overun by the Soviets and now the Finnish sabotage the tracks.
I’m not really sure though.

Finland uses a broader gauge aswell, looking at the speed limit sign, I think its not Austria or Germany, maybe Poland? By the way, I got the Russian track gauge wrong, its a shade under 5ft, not 5ft6" as I said. I could be wrong, and the gauge in the picture could be the Russian but it just looks a litte bit narrow.

I’ve done some research and it could well be [FONT=Verdana]Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania as the Germans relayed the wide track gauge to the standard German gauge of 4ft8.5". If this is the case, the picture most likely will have been taken in late 1944 or 1945, this is when the resistance against the rail network increased. [/FONT]

2 Foto: First version is right, it`s tankists.

3 Foto: All fotos in this post and post 13 (except the last) are from Victory Parade that took place on Red Square in Moscow.

4 Foto: It`s written “Glory for our heroic Red Army that defended independence of our Motherland and conquered victory over enemy”