WW2 Armour Rotting Away - Neglected

Visited a US government museum recently.

What I hate to see is WW1 and WW2 vehicles, neglected, sitting outside rotting away.

They’ve been sitting outside for decades. A fresh coat of paint every few years may make them look ok to the casual observer, but a slightly closer look reveals they are rotting away from the inside out.

Looks like there are plans underway to move, re-house, and restore many of these. But one of the reasons is evironmental concerns, as they don’t want them dripping oil onto the grass.

My thought is this. If you can’t afford to look after them properly, then:

1. Give them away to a US museum on the condition that they A. Pay for transportion to the new site. B. Restore the vehicle. C. Store it indoors

2. Give them away to a foreign museum on the condition that they A. Pay for transportion to the new site. B. Restore the vehicle. C. Store in indoors.

3. Sell them to a private collector, who intends to restore the vehicle.

Sounds like Aberdeen Proving Grounds to me…

Aberdeen does have an on-site facility that will periodically restore the vehicles (non-running) and prevent too much dilapidation…

Saxon, where is this museum? Dont know if this helps, but often times there is nothing really to be done, as the vehicles are too far gone to restore, and are good only for a static display. Depending on the vehicle, there may be no source of available parts etc. to use in a project. this is a particular problem with foreign machines older than the 40’s (except Soviet). Collectors have taken to joining parts of different vehicles to complete one to running condition. Even welding together vehicles that have been de-milled by torch cutting (one in particular is the U.S. M-151 jeep, they cut them into 4 parts, but people have welded them back together so they can be used.) Parts are pretty tough to find these days, not to mention very expensive.
I am sure that if they wished to sell something, collectors would line up to buy if the machines were in a restorable condition.

Right Nick, didn’t know that.

It is always sad to see these vehicles waste away.

This makes sense.

Yes, it was the Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

They are in the process of moving the whole collection to Virginia. I hope to better facilities.

And to be fair, I saw a couple of very well looked after, nicely restored tanks.

I understand that parts are very rare and often have to be custom made. But protect, store indoors, and restore what you have. Doesn’t have to be a complete vehicle, but protect it until the funds/parts become available to restore it.

There are a lot of museums/ individuals out there that would love to own one of these rotting carcasses, and lovingly restore them.

cheers,
Saxon

Arberdeen Panzer III rusting.
http://www.peachmountain.com/5star/US_Army_Ordnance_Museum.aspx

AberdeenProvingGroundss_1.jpg

Their is something very sad but classic about that picture…thanx.

Ideally, this is what WW2 armour should look like today:

http://www.sturmgeschutziv.pl/component/content/article/1-latest-news/113-stug-iv-wsteczny-bieg-?91d97d31c50dc52ff95bbf5f36976935=d8f449e0f5fc0445361507c07dd82c7c

cheers,
Saxon

I have been to Aberdeen many times over the years.

It is true much of the stuff is in badshape fro 50 years outdoors.
Long ago they were inside.
The P 3 in the pic is misleading.
It is between one of its many repaints showing the sanding of the old color.
Inside they are in really bad shape.

Over the years some of the stuff has gone to other museums like the Tiger 2.

A really complte Pz 2 went backto Germany as did the 8 RAD.

The Tiger 1 is somewhere in limbo.

Web larryt1.jpg

I would like to see some sort of museum like the Brits have at Bovington. Heck, I think they even have a running example of a Tiger I now. Their War & Peace show looks pretty awesome too. I just hate to see history rotting away like that. History, good or bad, should be preserved as much as possible for future generations.

It’s ashame, but it seems like in today’s world, sometimes groups just aren’t able to pay for the upkeep. It seems like it’s more of a funding issue rather than an intentional disrespect.

I agree, it’s too bad. Some places do better than others. I was at the Patton museum in Ky not too long ago and the ones outside were in pretty good shape. There is also a small museum in California outside of the 29 Palms training area with a few machines and they weren’t too bad either. Of course, you are in the desert out there.