WW2 in the media

Is it just a British thing to revel in our past successes? Or do other countries do similar.

The following are descriptions of two adverts for a particular beer in here in Britian.

Apologies in advance to Walther, but I think you’ll appreciate them none the less!!! :smiley:

The beer is “Carling Black Label”, the adverts generally centre around a man doing something remarkable, and someone saying “bet he drinks Carling Black Label”, cue jingle and a picture of the said beverage at the end.

In the first one it is set at a Spanish resort. The British man (looking handsome, rugged etc think Pierce Brosnan as Bond) steps out on to his balcony first thing in the morning.

He looks down and sees a horde of German middle aged men, with big pot bellies, shorts, sandels, etc. going to sieze the Sun loungers (sorry for the steriotype Walther!!), calm as anything he goes inside his room, comes out with rolled up Union Flag towel and promptly throws it.

At this point the theme from the Dambusters film comes on and the towel bounces along the pool. The Germans rush to get to the sun loungers, some diving in to the pool to grab the towel.

The towel then lands on a lounger, and unrolls to reveal the British flag in all it splendor. Inside there is a can of Carling Black Label which slides in to a ice bucket.

The Brit has claimed the sun lounger!!!

In the 2nd advert, actual film footage from the Dambusters film is used to portray a slightly altered view of the attack.

A Lancaster approaches the Dam, flying low along the reservoir. A German sentry spots it and jumps with shock.

The Lanc then drops its bomb. On seeing this the sentry throws away his rifle and adopts a goal keeper stance.

The bomb bounces in and the sentry saves it, with a football crowd style cheer in the back ground. The pilot and flight engineer in the Lanc are a bit miffed. They talk to each other in unintelligible phrases as the viewer hears it as if it is over the intercom.

The lancaster goes around for another pass.

Another bomb is realeased. The sentry saves it, to another cheer. Again the pilot and flight engineer in the Lanc are a bit miffed.

The lancaster goes around for yet another pass (point to note, the actual bombers only carried one bomb each!!!)

This time 5 bombs are dropped at once, and off they go bouncing towards the dam.

The sentry saves all 5 diving left, and right and all uber der platz to catch them all, cheers on each one.

It then cuts to the pilot and flt engr again. This time, the pilot pulls his face mask off, and says to the engr “I bet he drinks Carling Black Label!!”

The engr pulls his face mask off and responds with an unintelligble reply that makes it sound like he is talking on the radio still, even though he has removed his mask and thus should talk normally!!!

Can anyone else tell of any adverts relating to WW2 from their countrys?

Here is a link, 1000yd:

http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=24268

Thanks for the link dani.

Can’t find the sun lounger one but the dambusters one is in there.

haha, good commercials

try and dig up the “spitfire” beer posters if you can, a healthy sense of humour is recommended and I woudlnt post htem here for fear of repercussions, but in the UK they are funny.

Aye Bluff, I like the ‘Victoria cross’ one.

For those who have no idea what Spitfire is, it is beer, largely available down South in Britain.

With a name like that the advert campaign pretty much writes itself.

In the Mess at Lydd and Hythe barracks, near the chunnel HQ is a good collection of posters.

The Victoria Cross poster shows the outline of the a women with a rolling pin awaiting her husbands return from the bar!

Another one is headed up “Target recognition”, there is a black outline of a British pint glass under the heading “ours”, and a black outline of a German Stein, under the heading “theirs”.

There is also a picture of a full pint of Spitfire at “19:39” and an empty glass at “19:45”.

The last one I can remember at the moment shows a steriotypical Brit tourist. With loud shirt, daft shorts, sun glasses and the most outragious cocktail you’ve ever seen!!!

The phrase “You stupid boy” is written.

This may take an explanation. This phrase was the catchphrase of Capt. Mainwaring, and was often used against the character Pte. Pike in a very popular British comedy called “Dads Army”. The phrase has entered common usage in Britain, especially against young lads who muck up!!!

Pike often did/said daft things as he was only 16-18 for the story. Dads Army is set around a small village and its platoon of Home Guard during WW2. The Home Guard being the purely volunteer defence unit made up of boys too young to join up, men that were too old and other men who were in reserved occupations.

For the Americans on the site. The story was reworked and turned in to a series called the Rear Guard or something similar.

Found them on t’internet.

www.mroscar.co.uk/ fun/spitfire.shtml

Be warned the above has been a taster.

You may find them offensive.

Although if you have an open mind you will find most are amusing.

Cool.
I liked the one with Winston Churchill.

Id forgotten all about them, thanks for that link…

We also have “Lancaster BOMBER” beer, brewed by Thwaites.

I’m still looking for some adverts but they seem to stay pretty much in the realms of PC adverts.

Of course even in Britain the Spit evokes slightly different emotions than perhaps the Lancaster, carpetbombing its way through Europe!!!

Next up then, bit off topic, is STELLA ARTOIS.

Their current advert is set during WW1, possibley in Belgium, on the grounds the locals speak french and it is a Belgian beer.

A pilot gets shot down, and seeks refuge in a local pub. He promptly hidden when a German patrol looking for him comes in to the pub.

The commander of the patrol tells everyone to stand still. The bar keep has just started to pour a pint of Stella Artois. The commander doesn’t look like he’s going to let him stop the beer, and he knows it will be wasted.

A tense standoff ensues.

Just in the nick of time the Belian bar keep points to where the British Pilot is hidden and stops the tap. Thus preventing wastage of the beer.

The pilot gets dragged off by the Bosche, and looks back accusingly at the Bar keep, whose daughter exclaims “pa pa”. The bar keep shrugs his shoulders as if to say “what could I do?”.

His face then drops as he realises that a member of the German patrol has just downed the pint before leaving!!!

The spitfire adverts have missed the one of the row of real ale pumps with their handles in the back position, and the cathcprase, “Seig Ale”
personally my favourite. Though Goering Goering Gone, is always amusing

1000DYSTARE YOU ARE MOTHER FUCKER SON OF THE BITCH

PUT the forum IN the ASS the SHELL OF YOUR MOTHER YOU, I AM GOING to YOU TO BREAK the ASS To KICK To YOU and the GAY THAT to YOU SON ACCOMPANIES BY BITCH and the BITCH THAT YOU HAD, I AM MISTAKEN, YOUR YOU ARE NOT a BITCH SON YOUR YOU ARE a BISÑETO OF PUTA. IT WALKS And HACETE TO TAKE BY ALL The REGIMENT OF GURKAS GERMAN THAT YOU KILLED To The JUDIOS LIKE DOGS. And NOW YOU ABSORB IT To HIM DULL To The CHILDREN OF ITS PUTA MOTHER OF INLGATERRA THAT INVADED The ISLANDS. BASTARD INLGESES THAT TRIED TO INVADE ARGENTINA 4 TIMES And WE BURNED THEM LIKE DOGS. PIRATE CHILDREN OF PUTAS

Arkantos stop or you’ll be banned.

This will be your 2nd warning.