WWI Canadian Movie "PASSCHENDAELE"

Hey Guys,
Looks good…I hope they do this justice. Not sure when it comes out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6WYHagWdeE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pqYBWbrYus

It does look good, I’d go see it. There aren’t many war movies on the horizon.
The cbcnews report said at the end that the movie is scheduled for November 2009 release.

Hi navyson…I just checked and this video was added in oct of 2007 (Added: October 06, 2007) so maybe its november of this year??? I hope so

Sorry, I took for granted that they meant November 2009
I hope so too, I’m in the mood for a good war movie.

This is WW1 related also. Flamethrowerguy clued me onto this one. It looks good too.
http://www.redbaron-themovie.com/index_en.html

Very cool…another to look forward to seeing. Thanks for the heads up.

Its out in Canada now and I plan to see it.
Its great to see a WW 1 movie especially from the Canadian viewpoint!
Its getting great reviews from what I have read so far.

I read that it’s a romance film with about 10 minutes of battle scenes in it. Sounds awful :confused:

Has anyone of our forum members seen this movie?

Yes I have, and I was pretty disappointed.

If you think you’re going to watch a war movie - Think again.

The first 5 minutes of the film are a single War-scene, then he gets wounded and falls in love with a nurse. The following 90min. are a love story set in Canada, with a little bit of critique at the Canadian/Commonwealth drafting system. For the last 20min the movie returns to Passchendaele, and there’s a couple of war scenes, with at least one major event having been predictable since one of the very first dialogues that occurs in the movie, and, to be honestly, being overly dramatic.

The movie only shows the Germans for about 10seconds during a fire-pause - and they obviously are big, muscular, dangerously looking guys with wide jaws and scars, though they are shown as very respectful towards the poor, young, shaken Canadian soldiers…

Oddly enough, in the intro-sequence, [MINOR SPOILER]

the main character seems to kill the only young, and non-steroid pumped German soldier in cold blood. After that it returns to “the German soldiers are big Warriors, and the Canadians are poor kids taken away from their homes but still have no problem kicking ass in close combat”.

[SPOILER END]

Brits also won’t like that the movie showcases them as getting completely slaughtered, whereas the Canadians practically walk through mortar fire without even blinking, and only shrug at the dying Brits.

Don’t get me wrong, when the movie gets to the action sequences, they’re amazing and very high quality and through enjoyable, but most of the film is wasted somewhere in a Canadian small town telling the love story of the main character and a nurse…

When I went to see the movie I was really excited, and I wanted to like it… but you can imagine my frustration at going to see a war movie, and ending up seeing a love romance set during war time, though not even in a frontline country for 3/4 of the movie.

I guess it’s more of a movie you watch with your Girlfriend/Wife, than with the guys. If the GF/Wife doesn’t mind the extremely graphic and gruesome battle scenes, that is…

Thanks Schuultz,
Maybe it would be worth a rental.

Oh, if you want to try it out, it’s definitely worth a look. Technically it’s a pretty good film, the action sequences are especially impressive and very well done.

Which simply makes me wonder why they heck they had to waste most of the playtime telling a love story. Maybe it was for budgetary reasons, but I still wasn’t very happy…

But if you don’t expect a historical epic or war movie, but rather a nice Romance story that just so happens to be set during the First World War, you should definitely give it a shot.

Mebe they were just confused “lets make a war movie” “lets make a chick flick” “lets do lunch” And yes it would have been a lot cheaper to only have a few action bits. Gone are the days of the El Cheapo Spanish Army for hire and their WWII equipment :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, they used actual Canadian Army personnel as background actors for both the Germans and the Canadians, IIRC.
I don’t think they had to pay a lot for those guys, either. They camped at the set and were paid by the Army, as far as I know.

wow, I saw the trailer and was like “OMFG, I got to see this” but now after reading ur comment Schuultz, Im kinda disapointed, shoud have been a epic warm movie with him meeting a nurse and falling in love for 20 minutes than back to the front where he thinks of her and then at the end dies clutching her picture.

i saw this movie with my wife yesterday evening, my wife liked it, but for me it was a great dissapointment, not much ww1 action but lots of love, kissing and more of that stuff… here you can see the movie online, so you can judge for yourself .

http://www.alluc.org/movies/watch-passchendaele-2008-online/103158.html?maincatid=3482|War

(take the link “novamov” )

I have also watched this and feel that when the movie concentrates on the actual WWI battle scenes they are good, gripping and authentic…as mentioned in previous posts, their is a lot of drawn out romance that becomes a little bit long winded by the end of the movie.