WWII Midway Island Photos

My Dad is now 87. He was a Seabee in the 20th regiment, 10th special battalion (I think I have that all correct) and stationed on Midway. I would like to find WWII era photos of the Midway Island installations that he could enjoy and perhaps identify for a scrapbook of his time there for future generations. There are only a few photos on the internet and most of those are post-WWII. Would anyone know where I could find some more? Like most kids of WWII veterans, I feel like I’m running out of time. Thanks so much for any help!

They’re not great photos, but there’s a few in the article here, also listed and linked under Illustrations.
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/USMC-M-Midway.html

Thank you so much! Those are just the kind of photos that I think will jog his memory! I am in Chicago on business right now, but will show them to Dad when I get home! By the way, anyone flying into Chicago Midway airport should check out the Battle of Midway display in the terminal. I did not realize that the airport is named after the battle. The historical display is very nice and they have a SBD Dauntless dive bomber suspended from the ceiling. Apparently, during the war they had a training “carrier” in Lake Michigan and trained pilots there. The Dauntless was fished out of the lake and restored. (I guess the rookie pilots dumped a good number of them in the lake during training.) Thanks Again! Jeff Beck

Jeff, Seems like I talked to you before but lost my Emails .Ran across This thread about midway pictures and wanted to See what you wanted. First when was your Dad on Midway? Pre 43 or post 43 ? Sub Base and Sand Island runways were built second half of 43 and completed first of 43.Prio to that (including Battle of Midway) the only runways were on Eastern Island. From 43 to 56 The Island was pretty much the same.I have 1948 base drawing can send you that Would be fairly close for 43 on . Also have a couple of dozen or more WWII era base photos. Send me an Email at jbdoug@teleport.com… John D

Remembered your post and stumbled on this.

Damaged and partially disassembled Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat fighter on Sand Island, Midway, circa 24-25 June 1942.

Life Magazine has an archive of photos online. A quick search turned up a couple at the bottom of this page http://www.life.com/search/?q0=midway+island You might find more in some of the galleries or back issues.

Your picture was taken from near supply pier looking SW and damaged building to left is the seaplane hangar that got hit both on Dec 7 th by passing ships and Battle of midway. Hangar was not built back to full size after BOM. Still there today. to the right are old barracks 215,216 & 217 That were removed i probably 80’s ,definitly by 97. Stayed in them in 50’s and were gone when i went back in 98 for visit…I have this picture and probably a couple dozen others around this vintage…John D