WWII Sherman Tank in Iraq!

Check this out:

wow where did you find that pic?? and what is that doing there?? also, it looks like the tracks are falling off…

How do you know it’s Iraq?

It is desert and possibly Muslim, but so is Tunesia where there would be alot of WW2 kit.

Very cool. From this angle it looks like a German Panzer turret ( I may have the type wrong) on top of the sherman hull.

It looks like an M4A3 hull with VVSS suspension, but I can’t find a picture with a turret anything like that one.

There were so many SHERMANs sold off after the war it’s entirely possible some ended up in Iraq. This may have been a gate guardian, monument or from a museum that someone has tried to move.

I’d love to hear more about the gun & turret though. It almost has the look of a PANTHER mantlet . . . .

I agree, with the Panther mantlet, is there another photo from a diffrent angle?

What can we say ?
Sherman hull, Panther turret/mantlet, invisible track sections, all in what looks like a middle East/North African country.

Is anyone really handy with photoshop ?
:lol:

I thought at first it may have been an M50 Super Sherman derivative.

Did any other middle East nation upgrade Shermans other than Israel?

The super Sherman used the Panther gun, though it does not look the same at all:

the right track is cut in half at the end…so i dont think that that tank, if it is real, can move.

No it’s got the special ‘Stealth’ links in place there.
They’re made of the same material as the Iraqi weapons of mass destruction.

ah i c, well then i guess that we can confirm that this tank is not an original ww2 tank, unless of course the iraqi’s had WMD much earlier then we thought :lol:

Sorry I don’t have any additional information. But I found this on a military messageboard:

"During the initial invasion of Iraq, a Sherman tank engaged an Abrams. The Abrams destroyed the Sherman…but I don’t know the particulars of the engagement. "

Take it for what it’s worth!

Interesting :wink:

Doesn’t look like it’s been in an engagement - no sign of an entry point for the shell, top hatches still closed, no burn marks (strange for a knocked out ‘Tommy Cooker’).

Does look a lot like a Panther turret though.

Here’s another one captured:

http://www.defendamerica.mil/articles/jan2004/a012004c.html

Oh dear! What a load of sentimental Blather. Its a 105 infantry support Sherman.

Im sure no Iraqi soldiers thought it could actually take on an Abrahams. Thats why its still intacts I think.

Still, it will make a good addition to a museam.

The Artical does Skim over how the Iraqi’s happened to be in posession of such an item!

Spotter mode ON

The article also misidentifies it as having HVSS suspension when it’s clearly VVSS.

Spotter mode OFF

I have also seen a picture of a Churchill that was used a gate guard. I will try and find it.

look and see all sorts have turned up from CV33s to M24s

http://community.webshots.com/album/125766214yqZCTW

Hope this link works . . . .
http://community.webshots.com/photo/125766214/343214740zHCmOQ

This is from the site 2nd of Foot linked to. The turret is the same as that of the SHERMAN that started this thread.

Thus it isn’t a SHERMAN but an M 36 B1, which was an M 36 JACKSON tank destroyer turret atop an M4A3 hull. Chamberlain & Ellis refers.

Kind regards, and another mystery solved. Which fool suggested it was a PANTHER gun? :oops:

Fluffy