WWII U.S. Navy Mark 14 Gunsight Air Supply Unit

I was looking through some stuff with my father and found a air supply pump off of a Navy Ship. The tag on the pump reads: United States Navy BU OF ORD air supply unit for a sperry M.I.T. It also says Gunsight Mark 14 underneath it. I have the serial number if that would be helpful for you. It was manufactured by the Crosley Corporation in Cincinatti, Ohio in 1945.

I have done some research and know that it was part of the assembly that launched Mark 14 torpedos during WWII.

I can not find any other information about the piece and was just wondering if anyone knew if it had any value or what could be done with it? It sure is an interesting piece.

Thank you for your time.

The mark 14 was used on many different weapons, most commonly on ship mounted A.A. guns from 20mm to 40 mm. On the Oerlikon guns it was mounted on the weapon, for the larger guns it was mounted on the director. I bought one of them at a gun show decdes ago, and traded it to someone who owned a Bofors gun.

gs-p4-1.jpg

Would there be any value to the piece?

There would be some value to it, not sure the dollar amount, depends on if it still works, how complete it is, etc. I would list it in the Shot gun News, you can look them up on line. also search for sites dealing with artillery collectors, and shooters, they are usually a good place to go. I wish I could be more help, but I’ve been out of the biz for a long time, and my connection have either retired, or passed on.
There is a museum in Illinois Russel Road military museum, A man named Sonday runs it, you might enquire of him as to its value The phone is 847-395-7020 Tu-Sun 10am to 5pm.

I will check with him and see what I can find out.

Thank you.

You’re very welcome.

There is another place called cannon super store, they buy, and sell artillery, and related items, you might also talk to them…