your favourite weapon of all time (infantry weapon)

i want to know your fav infantry weapon.

mine is the fn fal,i love it.

Bren LMG

Barrett .50 M107 rifle :smiley:

This is actually a stupid thread, since you’ll have to take all weapons in their historical context.
In the 1830s, e.g. the breech loading Dreyse Zündnadelgewehr was the bee’s knees, because compared to the previous muzzle loaders it could fire faster and (compared to muskets) more accurately. The muskets on the other hand made the pikemen obsolete. And the single shot breech loader was made obsolete by the magazine repeter, which in turn saw it’s limits against the machine gun.

Jan

Trebuchet - for firing large things to smite thine enemies with.

Agreed, jan - another silly “what’s your favourite” thread…

Well in fairness it is “favourite” and not “best”, making it entirely subjective…

IM TALKING ABOUT WEAPONS OF ALL TIMES JAN.

Erwin

im in love with the M14

i own 2 for some raeson, lol

As it is “favourite and not best” I think that Chainshot are my favourite weapon. Followed closely by the cannonade.

The first was a type of ammunition more than actual weapon but tell that to the hundreds of French and Spanish (and British) Seamen that saw Sails Spars Stays and Masts carried away by two fuck off huge whirling balls of steel. Its fairly agricultural technology but effective never the less.

The cannonade was a large calibre, short barreled smooth bored cannon. It was designed purposefully not to pentrate the hulls of the boats it was fired onto. Its large calibre meant that the energy from the shot was dissipated quickly and efficiently into the hull of the enemy ship, this sent a shock wave through the decks and beams “shivering the timbers” (causing the grain of the wood to flex and open) the result was an explosion of small wooden splinters breaking from the hull (walls) the deck (roof) and the sole (floor) instantly. It didnt cause death so much as huge casualties, it turned the gun decks of Men of War and frigates into a very dangerous place whereas a connon shot would stop on the outside and allow the men inside to continue at their gun positions the presence of a Cannonade seriously disrupted work below decks as casualties were much higher than with the use of standard weaponry which could noramlly only injure those in exposed locations. - A piece of British ingenuity that circumvented the challenge of pentrating heavily “armoured” vessels by making the ship itself the danger

Its a weapon, its not WW2 but its my favourite. (Im a sailing anorak to some degree - oops)

Failing that Entrenching tools, not becaue Im barbaric but because they have been used since medieval times and enabled peasants to level with men of nobility in the fields of Agincourt. After the Knights had been brought fom their horses it was the Longbowmen that descended from the woods to finish them off with Lump Hammers, sickles and spades.

(Hence the French getting all shirty because their nobles werent killed by other nobles but dirty Welshmen in wooly shirts)

Here endeth the rant.

If it has to be recent, then the LSW, because it is (im informed) surprisngly accurate and Its British! and the Bipod makes for some great from-the-hip Beirut Unloads when you have to be OPFOR.

<engage pedant mode>
Ahem: You’re thinking of a Carronade - a cannonade is a lot of cannon firing together
</engage pedant mode>

When I was still in Ireland, I watched a British TV programme about the old man o’ wars. There they demonstrated the effect of ball shot:

They had a reasonably small smoothbore muzzle loader field cannon (calibre about 3 inches) set up to fire from about 50 meters at a wall made up of oak railway sleepers. Behind it they had mannequins dressed in 18th century sailor’s gear, plus a high speed camera to film the results. The impact of the cannon ball caused big wood fragments to richochet all over the area behind the wall, literally ripping the mannequin into pieces. Add to this the direct impact of the cannon ball which bounced across the floor behind the wall.

Jan

Sorry yes carronade
Just seen its meant to be infantry weapon, Oh well its been a long day!

<engage pedant mode>
Ahem: You’re thinking of a Carronade - a cannonade is a lot of cannon firing together
</engage pedant mode>[/quote]

And named, of course, after the Carron steel works in Falkirk, where they were first made.
First loading of a carronade in battle was typically double shotted, plus a keg of muskey balls on top!

Splits groups on rock & roll (I fired it R&R at 300m, and every shot apart from the 1st of each burst was 6-10’ from the POA) , and can’t be fired from the left shoulder. Nuff said, really! As a machinegun it’s useless, hence the adoption of the Minimi.

the Bipod makes for some great from-the-hip Beirut Unloads when you have to be OPFOR.
:lol: :lol:

Nuff said, Im not likely to get to use much else anyway, I rarely get given any choice. It is something along the lines of

“oi you the big bloke carry the heavy one!”

SLR all the way as it felt like a real weapon not a toy and was smarter for drills. To be honest though any barrarge or air strike a mile forward would do.

My vote goes to the bronze swords of Warring States period (~400BC-200BC) in China.

<engage pedant mode>
</engage pedant mode>[/quote]

And named, of course, after the Carron steel works in Falkirk, where they were first made.
First loading of a carronade in battle was typically double shotted, plus a keg of muskey balls on top![/quote]

Way off topic, but my dad use to work for Carrons in Kirkcaldy many years ago and they were still pretty proud of the carronade then.

Do you know what that is and have you used it ?