A QUICK QUIZ - WW2

Northrop JB-1A “Bat Bomb”?

Good on manufacturer, wrong with the model. For a final go please give me the model. :smiley:

Here it is the JB-1A “Bat Bomb”:

There are some differences, aren’t it?

XP-79B Flying Ram?

The first time I see that funny Rolls.Royce engine :?

Free to go on the next quiz. :smiley:

The name of this device!

As I understand it the RR Crecy is still the highest performing engine (in terms of power per cylinder volume) in history. It had major cooling problems they never quite solved.

Looks like a prototype for the V-3 gun. IIRC the code name for it was something like Hochdruckpumpe (High Pressure Pump). The bits off to the side are combustion chambers for additional propellant charges, which are fired just after the shell passes them. Fiendishly complex, but lets you attain huge ranges with a gun and relatively normal shells. The Iraqi “Supergun” was apparently going to use a similar system.

Correct my friend! Your turn!

Sorry, too busy (hence need sleep) so someone else will have to have a go.

I will slide in then if I may …

Anyone recognise the (British) capbadge and the significance of the purple backing flash?

that capbadge looks like the 35th Infantry Divisions badge but they where an american unit. i dont know about the purple back flash.

thats the 35th ID’s badge

Looks rather similar to that for QARANC (which only came into existence postwar) but round rather than oval. The backing flash also looks rather on the maroon side…

You’re on the right lines with the QARANC bit.

This unit will be 100 years old next year and is pretty much unique in the British Army these days. About the nearest thing to it in ethos might be the HAC.

One last clue, during WW2, the unit did other stuff as well. God help the chavscum who tried to pinch either of these fine ladies’ handbags :slight_smile:

Gotcha. I won’t put the answer up as I’ll just have to put up another quiz in that case, so you have PM instead.

OK chaps, looks like it’s all gone quiet, so I’ll post the answer.

pdf was correct in identifying the unit as the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry.

During WW2, the FANY was also used as a cover for the SOE to commission women who were then sent to occupied Europe to work with the Resistance.

The maroon flash behind the beret badge denotes such service. Both these ladies spent 2 years behind enemy lines in France.

Just goes to show, you can’t judge a book by its cover …

Well just coz they are women doesnt mean that kick a little ass too! :smiley:

I guess they were younger and better looking back then! :lol:

Their looks have nothing to do with it !

These two ladies went through more danger in those two years than many men do in their entire military career.
Their actions had a direct result on ensuring that people can live in free countries in europe today.
They have exhibited courage and resourcefulness second to none, and have my utter and undying respect.

Their looks have nothing to do with it !
[/quote]

I believe they did. Looks help if you are trying to chat up some SS officers! They did choose women based on looks amongst other things(like speaking German of course) when looking for spys ect, its a fact a better looking women is more likely to get her way!

Only in James Bond films Tiger.

These ladies worked behind enemy lines for 2 years as (IIRC) radio operators with the French Resistance.

If I can see the pic properly, they both wear the Croix De Guerre, which isn’t exactly handed out with the rations …

Someone post another question please.