A QUICK QUIZ - WW2

F4U Corsair

No

Beaufighter?

+1

Correct, your turn

What was the number of Jews executed by the Einsatzgruppen in Babi Yar,Kiev on September 29, 1941?

What was the number of Jews executed by the Einsatzgruppen in Babi Yar,Kiev on September 29, 1941?[/quote]

Moved your post here Tsolias!

Since nobody posted a new question since a few days here is one from me:

Who was the American born female actress, dancer and singer, who joined the French resistance, used her celebrety status to collect information and act as a courier for the resistance and later played an important role in the underground in Northern Africa during the preperation of OP Torch?
She received a Croix de Guerre from Charles de Gaulle and became a member of the Legion de Honeur.

Jan

Josephine Baker. :wink:

Ok as a lot of days passed without any quiz, I’m putting one…

What is the object photographed?

V2 Rocket motor?

Yes sir. It wasn’t so difficult at all!

I have an intrest in V2s, images like that I see often in various tv programs. I guess that was taken at peenemunde?

Any way, guess the aircraft!

One of these perchance?

Yep, its the He.111Z!

Dammit, I suppose I have to do a quiz now :frowning:

Right, this is going to be rather hard, so anyone getting either of these two engines gets to go next. As a clue, they’re both British - one is late WW2, the other immediately postwar. Manufacturer and model name required, plus any details if you’re feeling brave!

First one:
Rolls-Royce Crecy
2-stroke 90 degree V12 liquid cooled aero engine of 26.1 litres capacity, featuring sleeve valves and direct petrol injection. Single cylinder development began in 1937 under project engineer Harry Wood. It was designed by Sir Harry Ricardo. The first complete engine was built in 1941 and produced 1400 hp. Crecy number 10 achieved 2500 hp on 21 December 1944. Subsequently single cylinder tests achieved the equivalent of 5000 bhp for the complete engine.
General characteristics
* Type: 12-cylinder supercharged liquid-cooled 2-stroke Vee aircraft piston engine
* Bore: 5.1 in (130 mm)
* Stroke: 6.5 in (165 mm)
* Displacement: 1,593 in³ (26.1 L)
* Dry weight: 1,807 lb (820 kg)
Components
* Valvetrain: Sleeve valve
* Supercharger: Gear-driven centrifugal type supercharger with variable angle of attack of the impeller blades providing up to 15 psi (100 kPa) of boost.
* Fuel system: Direct fuel injection
* Cooling system: Liquid-cooled
Performance
* Power output: 2,500 hp (1,865 kW)
* Specific power: 1.57 hp/in³ (71.5 kW/L)
* Compression ratio: 7:1
* Power-to-weight ratio: 1.38 hp/lb (2.27 kW/kg)

Second one:
Napier Nomad 2 (E 145)
The Nomad design was incredibly complex, essentially two engines in one. One was a supercharged Diesel similar to the Culverin. Below this was a complete turboprop engine, based on their Naiad design. The output of the turboprop was geared to a shaft running inside the Diesel’s, driving the front propeller of a contra-rotating pair. As if that were not enough, during takeoff additional fuel was dumped into the rear turbine stage for additional power, and turned off once the plane was cruising.
The compressor and turbine assemblies of the Nomad 1 were tested during 1948, and the complete unit was run in October 1949. The prototype was installed in the nose of an Avro Lincoln bomber for testing, and first flew in 1950. In total the Nomad 1 ran for just over 1,000 hours, and proved to be rather temperamental, but when running properly it could produce 3000 hp (2,200 kW) and 320 lbf (1.4 kN) thrust. It had a specific fuel consumption (sfc) of 0.36 lb/(hp·h) (0.22 kg/(kW·h)).
Even before the Nomad 1 was running, its replacement, the Nomad 2, had already been designed. In this version an extra compressor stage was added, replacing the original supercharger. This stage was driven by an additional stage in the turbine, so the system was now more like a turbocharger and the compressed air for the Diesel was no longer “robbing” power. In addition the propeller shaft from the turbine was eliminated, and geared using a hydraulic clutch into the main shaft. The result was smaller and considerably simpler, a single engine driving a single propeller.
General characteristics
* Type: Twelve-cylinder liquid-cooled horizontally opposed Diesel combined with a turboprop aircraft engine
* Bore: 6 in (152 mm)
* Stroke: 7.375 in (187 mm)
* Displacement: 2,502 in³ (41 L)
* Dry weight: 3,580 lb (1,624 kg)
Components
* Cooling system: Liquid-cooled
Performance
* Power output: 3,135 hp (2,338 kW) max take-off at 89 psia (614 kPa) including thrust power from the turbine
* Specific power: 1.25 hp/in³ (57.0 kW/L)
* Compression ratio:
o Engine 8:1
o Turboprop compressor 8.25:1
* Specific fuel consumption: 0.345 lb/(hp·h) (0.210 kg/(kW·h))
* Power-to-weight ratio: 0.88 hp/lb (1.44 kW/kg)

Dani mate, you need to get out more :wink:
Absolutely correct. They’re both are pretty obscure engines too…

:lol: :lol: Thought it was a quick quiz! :lol: :lol:

Now here’s mine:

Manufacturer and model please.
Clues: American, experimental, late in the war.