Anti-armor weapons of the japanese infantry.

Here is the scarce ammo for the 70mm Type 4 rocket launcher.

It is a hollow charge projectile using a rocket motor. Ignited by a simple

percussion primer cap in the middle of the rocket jet plate.

See the dismantled projo at the top. At the bottom a 70mm HE shell

for comparison.

Best

Interesting, that was gyro a stabilized projetile?

Yes spin stabilized, the jets are not drilled straight but in an angel.

I enclose pics showing the fuze of the conical AT mine ( left ) and pics of the “Ball”

mine with a webbing belt handle instead of the steel wire handle. The fuse is somewhat tricky

because after removing the safety pin the

fuse react even when the mine is falling down, … in any direction.

A japanese AT grenade fired from a flare pistol was developed ,too.

4d2b_1_sbl.jpg

Here is a picture of the glas body of a smoke / gas grenade.

Tränengasgranate.jpg

Beautiful pictures Genkideskan, many thanks.

Tactics:

The author exaggerates a bit here, not all the weapons are “self sacrifice” the type 99 magnetic mine for example could be used with good effect and without (nessesarily) risking the life of the soldier.

From; Osprey s “Infantry antitank tactics of ww2”

Hi.

Some more atg pics:

experimental 37 mm at-gun Raku:

experimental 57 mm anti-tank gun:

Yours

tom! :wink:

Hi.

Some more:

Type 97 experimental 47 mm anti-tank gun:

Type 1 47 mm ant-tank gun:

Yours

So do I.

Fantastic pictures Tom, quite weird the muzzle in this experimetal gun, it seems a smaller caliber than 57mm.

Hi.

This photo shows the gun without barrel. The hole you see is for filling in the liquid of the hydrospring recoil mechanism. :mrgreen:

Yours

Ha,ha,ha, very true, sorry for the silly question. :mrgreen:

This may sound stupid but i believe it was on modern marvels or some other show that this method of knocking out an American tank came up:

Anti-Tank.jpg

Nothing “modern” on that action.

Have this foto since a long time and can’t find closer informations.

“Rifle” grenade rod type AT shell for T 97 AT rifle - written at the backside.

It must be a hollow charge grenade with a rod, that was inserted to the barrel of the Type 97 AT rifle. Fired by a blank or better propelling cartridge without bullet.
This technic is well known for rifle grenades and german rod shells for several artillery pieces ( Stielgranaten ).

Any idea ?

Hi,
It is little well-known improvised Japanese AT hand mine/grenade .
This weapon earlier displayed him already Genkideskan.
I know, from he was produced (in unknown quantity) on Philippines, as well as ( to be maybe) in Japan and Manchuria.
Worked out probably in end 1943 year.

I put fragment article NEW WEAPONS FOR JAP TANK HUNTERS - from Mach 1945 (US. Army Intelligence Bulletin).
The Experimental Hand-thrown Mine is a spherical bomb 4.7 inches in diameter. It is composed of 3 pounds of explosive encased in a black aluminum shell. Like the Conical Hand Mine, it is reported as capable of penetrating 3/4 inch armor, and must be thrown from a distance of at least 30 feet from the target.
A carrying handle and a fuze cover are attached to the outside of the mine. During shipment the fuzes are packed separately, and must be inserted in the mine by unscrewing the fuze cover and inserting the fuze in the recess provided. The fuze is similar to that on the Conical Hand Mine, and is kept unarmed by a safety pin. Since the fuze will detonate the bomb upon impact with the target, the mine requires careful handling after the safety pin has been
(…)”.

I add colored photos and drawing with bulletin.
I apologize for my bad English,

Regards,
jabu

P.S. Pleasantly get to know you Tom! I see, you from also be interest AT Japanese infantry weapons.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Hi,
and yet two interesting Picture.

1. Japanese lunge AT mine – Shitotsu bakurai (version – 5.3kg); by probably ammo in Type 97 81.4 mm Infantry Mortar.

2. “Batch of survival” Japanese tank hunters:
    Type 93 multi-purpose mines,
    Type 3 Box Mine,
    Molotov cocktail,
    Type 3 AT Hand Grenade,
    And probably AT Mine (similar how German Hafthhohlladung HHL 3).
    Moreover Type 89 HE shell from Typ 89 50 mm Grenade Discharger.

Regards,
jabu

Hi,

It is Ji-Te Dan"ジテ弾". As the Type 97 AT Rifle became ineffective
against Allied tanks, hollow charge grenade for Type 97 was developed.
Special cartridge was used to launch it. Ji-Te Dan ended with only
experiment and did not see action.

Similar hollow charge grenade one designed for Type 94 37 mm AT
Gun.
Its specifications are as follows.
Caliber : 80 mm
Explosive : 0.675 kg
Penetration : 100mm

It was experimental only,

Regards,
jabu

Thanks Jabu,

that is a great info about the 37mm AT grenade and a unknown picture for me.

Hi Genkideskan,
it was gladdened, from I could help.

Photo taken by on Guadalcanal, briefly after Japanese’s evacuation in February 1943. To be visible (AT weapons), from left:
Type 93 AT Mine, Type 99 Magnetic AT Mine, Type 2 AT Rifle Grenade 40 mm, and also: Type 94 and Type 99 smoke candle, Typ 89 shell from Type 89 Grenade Discharger, Type 91 and Type 97 hand grenades, and probably Type 12 shell from Type 11 37 mm Infantry Gun.
Regards,
jabu

Hi.

About the type 97 at-rifle´s ammunition:

I recently stumbled upon this:

Type 98 HE-T round for the type 98 20 mm aa-gun

Type 98 HE-T round for the type 97 20 mm at-rifle

The projectiles have a slightly different shape, a slightly different thickness of the explosive container wall and different closing plugs.

There were a type 100 HE-T self destructing projectile and a type 100 AP-T projectile which were both used with both weapons so why two only slightly different HE-T projectiles?

Any ideas?

Yours