Anti-armor weapons of the japanese infantry.

The one is the type 98 projectile (bottom) the other the type 100 projectile

Does anyone have information on the Shinhoto Chi-ha tank variant developed in 1944 for the navy (SNLF support)? It mounted a 120mm short naval gun. I am very interested in the gun performance and ammo, if anyone can help. Thanks!

I have no data on that variant of the tank (the biggest gun I know of that it mounted was 75mm) but if it helps, the short 120mm (L/12) naval gun fired a 13 kg HE shell at 290 m/s for a maximum range of 5,300m (at high elevation).

Hi.

The tank used a japanese short 120 mm naval gun in a modified Shinhoto (to be translated as “new turret”) of the type 97 medium tank Chi-Ha.

The gun was introduced by IJN in 1941 as close-defence armament for transport vessels.

Here a well-known picture

5-side-view (muzzle break and several minor details not correct):

A massive muzzle break was added to reduce recoil forces:

inside view of the turret, breech top left:

Yours

tom!

Hi.

The biggest gun (regarding diameter) mounted on the Chi-Ha-chassis was the type Meiji 38 150 mm howitzer. The vehicle was named type 4 gun tank Ho-Ro:

The biggest gun (regarding size) was a type Taisho 10 or Taisho 11 120 mm gun L/45 (At least I think it is one of these guns). One vehicle was found at Yokosuka naval yard after surrender:

Yours

tom! :wink:

Thanks, everyone! Good information. :slight_smile:

It wouldn’t have been very effective. Muzzle brakes work best with high-velocity guns.

Hi.

Here some additional infos on the gun as used on naval units and island defences:

naval weapons

Yours

Thanks Tom!

Do you happen to know how the SNLF organized the Shinhoto “120” AFV? I’m wondering if it was in 2 AFV sections or 4-6 AFV per platoon?

Also, how did the Japanese sights on the AFV mounted gun compare to other nations?

Thanks for any information!

was woundering if the japs had captured/used any of the hotchkiss 25mm anti-tank guns

Hi.

The japanese navy used licence-built 13,2 mm and 25 mm Hotchkiss-type aa-machine canons.

But I never heard of any captured/used 25 mm at-guns.

Yours

In 1944 the Japanese developed 2 types of new anti-tank weapons. One was a bazooka-like weapon that could penetrate 85-90mm of armor at 100m and the other one was a panzerfaust-like weapon with 45 and 75mm missiles, able to penetrate 80mm. The bazooka-like weapon was built in the thousands and they were kept for the invasion of Japan.