Argentine-British 164 Squadron <<Firmes Volamos>>

Replied to this in Off Topic - General

BDL,

My avatar is not offensive. As you said, you had the image of the argentinian surrender. You, me, and all know that it is offensive to the Argentinian members.

My avatar is only the map of the Malvinas. Why some british members take my avatar as offensive? I am only deffending the Argentinian cause, I am not offending with image of the recuperation, of the April the 2nd with Royal Marines surrended. It is only a defense to my cause.

If other Argentinian members had avatars offensive as I said, I am sorry but I don’t want to be offensive.

PD: (I am sorry, I was wrong and put the last post in another topic, but I have arrenged now)

Greetings from Argentina… SALUDOS!

Eagle, I don’t think your avatar is offensive at all, but the post might possibly be better suited to this thread:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=702&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Saludos

Eagle please read my post on that thread. Ta.

Ok, lets restart the topic…

I have some image which I want to share with you, from Argentinian pilots in the Royal Air Force…

The Argentine officer Ronnie Sheward attaking with his Hurricane to the sluices of the Dutch Channel.

The Argentine volunteer Stuart Hasslam with his Spitfire over German skyes, in 1945

RAF B-24 Liberator named as ROMPECULOS (butts destroyer), piloted by the Argentine pilot Robin Houston, in India

The Argentine volunteer Kent Charney shooting down to his first victim, on June the 4th, 1944 over the skyes from Normandy

1944. The Argentine pilot “Dick” Lindsell attaking to a japanese bridge in Burma

The Lancaster, flyed by the Argentine Bill Eddy, leads the squadron with Berlin as obejctive

I hope you’ll enjoy them.

PICTURES BY: Carlos Garcia.

The oil paintings are good Eagle, do you have any written history on the pilots though? Did any of them receive medals for example?

Off topic, but do you know anything about what happened in this pic

I read the bit on the site, but this is one gutsy manouvre!!!

1000, Don’t worry!

I have several written texts about the argentine pilots in the IIWW.

I hope you could wait me, I am too tight with exams of english, maths and chemist. I will post it at weekend if I can…

Greetings from Argentina.

Look at the names of these men they are all at least of British descent. I have a couple of questions:

Were these men Argentine nationals or did they still hold British passports?

What was the official Argentine view on the war (at governmental level and also majority public opinion) at the time?

If the opinion was sympathetic to the Allied cause, why did the powers that be in Argentina mess it up after the war by giving shelter to so many Nazi war criminals?

I dont want to start a flame war here, I am genuinely interested in this unit and the motivations of those who joined it, I am also interested in how they were percieved in Argentina.

The way I see it these men were living in Argentina but to all intents and purposes were still British, in fact it wouldn’t be much different if I left my country of residence (Germany) to go to war for my country of origin (Great Britain).

Oh hang on I did already :lol: :lol:

Edit: Typo

Look at the names of these men they are all at least of British descent. I have a couple of questions:

Were these men Argentine nationals or did they still hold British passports?

What was the official Argentine view on the war (at governmental level and also majority public opinion) at the time?

If the opinion was sympathetic to the Allied cause, why did the powers that be in Argentina mess it up after the war by giving shelter to so many Nazi war criminals?

I dont want to start a flame war here, I am genuinely interested in this unit and the motivations of those who joined it, I am also interested in how they were percieved in Argentina.

The way I see it these men were living in Argentina but to all intents and purposes were still British, in fact it wouldn’t be much different if I left my country of residence (Germany) to go to war for my country of origin (Great Britain).

Oh hang on I did already :lol: :lol:

Edit: Typo[/quote]

Damn, you beat me to it. I was going to ask the same question about these guys.

None of the names are Spanish at all.

Thats a C-130 Air to Air refuelling a Skyhawk. Routine manouvre in fixed wing aircraft, if you want to see real scarey AAR chech this out:

http://www.af.mil/photos/index.asp?galleryID=54&page=4

Sorry, didn’t make that bit clear.

I know this sort of manouvre happens all the time.

In this picture how ever the Skyhawk was absolutly pepperd. The stream of fluid out of the bottom is fuel leaking out.

I guess the refuellin gmust have had to continue all the way to Argentina. But it’s better than banging out I suppose.

Ah Ok, didnt notice this in the tiny photo. Or is it a painting. The pilot was a lucky man if it is real as theres no telling whats leaking out other than fuel. Still, as you say, better than banging out 200 miles from home in the middle of the S Atlantic.

Is it 2 inches the spine compresses on ejection?

Wonder how they got him down?

I’d imagine he’d empty his tanks first, but then there is greater vapour risk!!!

Bet his botty was going 5p/50p on landing, and the fire crews must have had water already being pumped when he touched down.

Interesting link.

Saw Air force one up close once, and the Marine one and the big galaxy or what ever it was, sat next to them.

There’s inflation for you, in my day it was Half-a-Crown/sixpence !

It all depends, see this snippet:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9096832&dopt=Abstract

Just found this, the caption is wrong as the aircraft that is hit is a Skyhawk and not an F-18:

http://www.dumpalink.com/post/2788

Gives a feel for what can happen to an A-4 full of fuel.

Eddited for omission.

Fuch66:

Some of the answers of your questions…

*The pilots were all of them descendant or inmigrants from Great Britain, but officialy, Argentinians.

*The official posture was neutral, but there was a tendence in favour of Germany-Italia-Japan. It changed by the final of the war, when Argentina declared an official embargo to all military-civilian units.

*Argentina allowed to nazis to enter to the country because it were close relationships between the high cabinet of the government in turn. The “nazis” who came here obtained good jobs into the state, as weapons designers, engineers, and things like that.

1000, that drawing of the Hercules refuelling to the A-4B is ilustrating to the Alferez Dellepiane, on June the 8th 1982 over the South Atlantic Ocean. The Skyhawk, attacked by the british AAA, was losing the same fuel than the Hercules was traspasing to it. If the Hercules would stop the sending of fuel, the Skyhawk would stop. Both realized the entire route to the Skyhawk base “hooked”. A great drawing about a really dramatic situation.

Interesting i will wait to see ,dont forget. :wink:

Eagle wrote

The Skyhawk, attacked by the british AAA,

I take this to mean. "The Skyhawk attacked the british, the British defended themselves with accurate AAA.

Good luck in the exams Eagle.

LOL

Of course 1000.

It was a war. Both atacked each other. Both defended itselves.

I am not trying to defend the pilot or the aircraft, and I am not trying to blame to the AAA which atacked.