Argentine-British 164 Squadron <<Firmes Volamos>>

Oh, I’ve fogotten.

Thanks about the “good luck”.

Let me tell you that I had 3 of the 4 exams.

The first, math, absolutely bad!
The second, economy, it was really good
The last, this afternoon, spanish and comunication, good too

Tomorrow, the final exam of the year of english language. I am so nervous that I think I won’t sleep!!!

Well, judging by your english on this site you shouldn’t have to much problem.

The poke about AAA is that as a general rule, in Britain anyway, we don’t see AA defences as offensive as in attackers. They defend. Obviously the plane is seen as the aggressor, as they have come to attack.

Although in English either is technically correct.

I could say, the plane was going to defend to the soldiers who were attacked by naval artillery.

I repeat… It was a war. Both defended, both attacked.

I don’t think 1000yd was attacking your viewpoint. It was more an explanation of the linguistic convention when describing AAA fire in English.

Yes I know that crab… no problem!

I will post the written note that I have about the Argentinian pilots in the Royal Air Force.

I have a note about a pilot who fought with and against Britain. In the WW2, with a bomber, in 1982 with a Learjet on recon, with the volunteer Fenix Squadron, Fuerza Aérea Argentina.

WITH THEIR OWN FLIGHT

The first group of volunteers travelled to England in June of 1940. In 1942 british descendants afforded the Argentine-British 164 Squadron. Their motto, “Firmes Volamos”. In April, the Argentine embassy in the United Kingdom decorated to 12 of the pilots, who paid their tickets to go to a ceremony at the RAF church, Saint Danes. All the guests were there but one, the Foreign Office titular.

Tito Withington. “Pilot forever”

It’s a pity that Hitler had killed himself without the knowledge of the writing “ADOLFO, GRANDES CARIÑOS DESDE ARGENTINA” (Adolf, great affections from Argentina), on a bomb which was droped by a Lancaster piloted by Tito Withington, over Berchtesgaden, Hitler’s holiday’s house.
Withington, who was born in Córdoba, was part of the 625 Squadron in Kelstern. He flyed over Hitler’s house and dropped metallic strips -known as Windows by this time, now known as CHAFF- in order to confuse German radars, and then “drop the sweets”, says Tito. He is near to his 82 birthday, and until now he use with no difficults his caps which preserve by the war, when he lived in London and got drunk in the bars, and then, with his partners, jumped throw the barbed wires in order to not be punished by their superiors.
He had only 19 when the he thought an idea which was converted in an obsession: “I must to go and fight for the english”.
He had said that in his house and went to the Buenos Aires port, where he boarded a cargo ship, overflowing with cereal and meat to support the United Kingdom.
Like him, 3000 Argentines didn’t want to stay out of the conflict and enlisted to the allied forces, to fight in the Second World War.
Between the 3000 forces, was 600 pilots, who went to Royal Air Force. Today we can find at least 30 of them alive.
They’ve never talked before of their experiences in 60 years.
“We had to keep the silence about what we did. Although I have a lot of memories, I think I’ve lost the most of them. I believe the correct to do is forget all. If I don’t forget, I’ll generate hate in my mind, and it shouldn’t be promoted” says Withington.
Tito Withington arrived to England in 1943. He had a good relationship with Harold Hyland, another Argentine affiliated to the odyssey of cross the ocean and stop Hitler.
Harold lost his brother in the war, and he finished taking part of the Withington Family. When they came back, the Harold’s sister married to his “step brother” Tito Withington.
Tito was widowed the last year.
His daughter, from the living says “As he fought for the british in the 1940’s, he took part of the group anti-english, in 1982 during the South Atlantic War. He piloted a Learjet of the civilian-volunteer Fenix (Phoenix) Squadron. He could do an argument to don’t fight against people of his blood, but he always preferred to be an Argentine. He left us with 60 years with a new pilot uniform of the Argentine Air Force and we hadn’t had any news of him by 15 days. It was terrible for me and my mum”
“It wasn’t so terrible!! –replied Tito-. I wasn’t dropping bombs like the Skyhawk or Mirage boys, I only did cargo or recognition missions”

Ronald Scott. “You won’t loose your calm”

In February of 1943 Ronald Scott left Buenos Aires with Liverpool as objective, with another 400 volunteers.
“At the Argentine-British Society Commission the regent said to me that they would look after my wife if I wouldn’t return of the war”, remember Ronald, a 87 years old man with an excellent memory. His father, a scott immigrant, died when he had only 8 years.
He wishes he had gone to the war before. “I arrived to Liverpool at night. The buildings next to me were destroyed, by the extremely powerful bombing from the Luftwaffe”, says Ronald at the CASI (Club Atlético San Isidro) bar, in Buenos Aires. He was a rugby and football player in the club.
“I thought Hitler was a son of a %&$@, and if he had won in Europe, he would came here to conquer Argentina, with the support of our military forces”.
He had “dribbled” the military service here in Argentina, but became a pilot in the Royal Air Force. He started as a observant on London, controlling V1 missiles, which came from Belgium and France. His mother, English died when he was fighting for the allied.
In 1950 he joined to AUSTRAL (Regional Airline dependant from Aerolíneas Argentinas). In 1953 he saved a plane and 40 passengers, when an engine failed.
“I could save the plane because I was more than a thousand days fighting. I was shoot down and had a lot of forced landings. I think this things improve me and give me more calm than another pilot who never was in serious situations”.

Bernardo Noel Lamirnat. “The reserved Argentine As”.
Bernardo Noel Lamirnat is the Argentine pilot who did the best work. Although he is the most successful Argentine pilot in the Second World War, he prefers not talking about what happened. He participated in 350 combat missions with Hurricanes and Spitfires. Only a close group of his friendships in Bahia Blanca, his city, knew that he was shoot down on April the 1st 1945 over Holland, he eluded the enemy and came back to his base. It took only 24 hours.

I have more interesting stories about Argentines in the WW2. Please, wait to me. And forgive my so bad English language.

Some very interesrting information in there about a subject which I confess knew very little about.

I will endevour to find out more myself as well.

Thanks for that though, nice to have a decent post for a change…

My bold.

Presumeably Ronald Scott had more than an inkling about the commanders and/or the general feeling throughout the Argentine Forces of the time.
I wonder what he thought of the way top Nazis were given asylum post-war ?

Don’t worry Eagle, your English is fine for the information you’re posting.
I find it very interesting and enjoyable reading.

Excellent thread. Cheers Eagle.

I wonder what part Juan Peron played in aid to Great Britian or in WWII in general.Scott

Welcome Scott!,im afraid he played more in the role of odessa,the germans and the italians! (yeah,the italians a lot).
i think this men decided by themselves (as you see they are british descendents so guess who inspired them= :roll: )

Cheers!

Erwin

Welcome Scott!,im afraid he played more in the role of odessa,the germans and the italians! (yeah,the italians a lot).
i think this men decided by themselves (as you see they are british descendents so guess who inspired them= :roll: )

Cheers!

Erwin[/quote]

Dont be rolling them eyes ‘Kiddo’.

Are you not proud of your countrymens achievements.

Kiddo?,huh?.

im proud of them,but i put the icon because its obvious that they went their by a blood call,there isn’t any argentine with enough brain health to go to the raf (well,if we talk about ww2,id rather to be in the us air force).

do i have to explain smiles now?.

[quote=“Erwin Schätzer(argentina)”]

Kiddo?,huh?.

im proud of them,but i put the icon because its obvious that they went their by a blood call,there isn’t any argentine with enough brain health to go to the raf (well,if we talk about ww2,id rather to be in the us air force).

do i have to explain smiles now?.[/quote]

Yes but you would lack the experience of the RAF pilots. Dont forget they had a 2 year head start on the americans. Does anyone know the number of Americans that jumped the boarder and fought for the commonwealth?

It was Brian Hanrahan, Crab. From the deck of one of the carriers and IIRC he got into trouble for giving out too much information at some point.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/correspondents/newsid_2626000/2626477.stm

Didn’t know that!

Could we return to the topic here?

We could continue this discussion in the threads already known. :smiley:

Thank you.

Back to topic. They were brave men who decided to volunteer for the RAF. They were Argentinians and did their country proud.

I for one salute their achievements!

Is there a single thread on here where your hatred of the British won’t affect your posting? You don’t like us, the Falklands belong to Argentina, the British are thieves, pirates, shit soldiers and closet homosexuals.

WE GET IT.

Please, if your comment can’t add to the debate, just don’t make it. We could all add random posts against countries we don’t like and be Officers and have thousands of posts if we wanted to.

Not sure on Yanks pretending to be Canadian, but six Americans qualified for the Battle of Britain medal.