Band of Brothers

Ambrose was accused of plagiarism in his final book:

Apparently an entire passage was lifted verbatim from an earlier work, but he was allowing his son (a very poor interviewer) and others to do much of his research and some writing for him as he was dying of lung cancer…

Having said that, “Band of Brothers” was an excellent read…[/quote]

Unfortuntely, He has a much longer list than just The Wild Blue. His pattern was to find some unpublished work or personal memoirs and then re write it. He borrowed heavily from a British 6 Paras vet by the name of Denis Edwards. PFC Edwards was in the first glider at Pegasus Bridge. Major John Howard asked Denis to lend Ambrose his unpublished memoir for help. Ambrose with some interviews used it extensively. This was the case with most of his works. He basically rewrote other works with some additional imput. There are too many cases for this to be discounted as easily as Ambrose would like you to do.

The historians job is to get the facts straight. He ignored this when he was challenged for mistakes, often by the person they were about. He is a very widely known writer , but he suffers as a historian by his arrogance and rewriting of others works.

I found this site on the net: http://www.moviemistakes.com/tv3009

Minimal mistakes in comparisong with the crappy “Saving private Ryan”

band of brother was one of the best ww2 movies ever made in my opinion. i think it was really great. it opens your eyes to the world of the airbourn and they stuff they do. saving private ryan used to be mine but not until i saw BOB “band of brothers”. saving private ryan is just geting boring now after like the twenteth time but with band of brothers i think you could watch in millions of buddles.

thank you

David Schwimmer is in the first episode, always makes me laugh when he comes up. Maybe he is from friends too.

i just watch part 2 of the series, it was amazing. I wish the entire series is just as good.

I wish the sound effect of my tv is better though, what a waste to such good film.

But is that true that the pilot make the green light for airborne units too early?

it was awesome, i was so annoyed that it finished, i wanted more, but i watched it again a bit later and i still didnt get tired of it.

I’ve watched the whole series 4 times over.Definately one of the best!

http://piggymoo.com/bandofbrothers/?episode=01

Here is the link to watch all band of brothers online.

Disclaimer: i did NOT upload this, and if ww2admin or the rest of the mods think this is not appropiate to post the link, please delete it.

its a great serie

Yes it was a good series. Another good series is the Rat Patrol.

I love Band of Brothers. I’m on my second viewing now. Some of the combat scenes were really hard to watch because you feel like you are right in the middle of it with them. My heart was pounding and I was cringing during the winter scene where the germans are just pounding the hell out of them with heavy artillery. I think the rawness of the battle scenes is a good thing, though, because this movie does not glorify war at all. It doesn’t just tell us that war is hell." It shows us that war is hell. I had watched B of B and then Windtalkers came on t.v. and I watched it because I’m fascinated with the Navajo Code talkers. I was extremely disappointed with Windtalkers after B of B. It just couldn’t hold a candle to it. I actually missed the men of Band of Brothers when I was done watching it the first time. Then when I found out which ones were no longer alive, I felt like I’d lost a relative. I will be the first in line for the series about the War in the Pacific.

now this is the best ever and follows the book all the way just great

I am currently watching the series for the third time. It’s showing on the History Channel here in oz.

On a different topic has anyone out there read Devils Guard? An excellent read as it is from a German Waffen SS point of view.

Is this a historical novel??

I used to love The Rat Patrol, back in the sixties. They took it off British T.V. as it was considered to be a little controversial.

Yes, I have a copy. It came up quite recently on another thread. I first read it in the early seventies, when it was first published, and my chums and I had just devoured all of the Sven Hassel books. I purchased my existing copy when it was reprinted in 1984. I think it has shades of Sven Hassel and is probably as authentic?

i just finish the series for the first time, i think the series is great! Especially the battle scene! However, i think the series would be a little bit better if they include a bit of German’s perspective of the war. I mean the battle of the Bulge would be the best time to introduce some germans and to explain why they start that battle and what they want to achieve. Something like that.

And you think a pacific version of band of brothers is possible? that would be great if they decide to make one.

I have been searching for a copy. Where did you find yours?

Yes it is. It is a second hand account and starts off with the retreat of Germany from the Soviet forces and the SS officers flight from prosecution from the allies and there subsequent joining of the French Foreign Legion.

The majority of the book is situated in Vietnam where the French had their arse kicked. All except a group of former German soldiers who’s tactics were less than ethical. To give you an example one chapter is called arsenic and bayonets. Enough said.