BAR Gunner Role

sort of but u need “specialized training” to use, the speical training is to control the BAR with out it shooting all over the place and killing allied troops.

Where did that gem come from ?

wat gem.

Your previous post.
On what experience or research do you base it on ?

books and stuff

1. Do you know what the ISBNs and titles of these books were ?
  2. What is the ‘stuff’ ?
  3. Does it come in small packages ?
  4. Is it taken nasally or just smoked ?

From my limited knowledge the BAR was not normally used in offensive situations. If it was the Bi-pod was normally removed to save weight (2.38lbs). It did have a buffer spring in the butt which greatly reduced recoil. Also firing the weapon in a semi-automatic mode reduced the recoil and increased the accuracy.

You’re right, it is limited knowledge.

You’re right, it is limited knowledge.[/quote]

I can’t say the BAR is of much intrest too me, I much rather German armour! But I thought I’d give my two cents (or pennies).

I don’t know how much of us was used this weapon, but I think than
we have to go to the sources, ask to who used it and how it feel it.
in my opinion, of cuorse.

You mean just like with any other wpn ?[/quote]
for the caracteristics, it look like a argentine FAP, and this weapon its
almost impossible to fire in auto with a cleared aim.

Don’t any of you read, or do you enjoy spouting nonsense?

[/quote]

Not normally used in offensive situations? Yes, let’s leave our mobile firepower behind while we go into this attack, that would be really sensible. Let’s really limit our ability to suppress the enemy. Where on earth do you get this crap from?

Some versions of the BAR did not have the bipod, some did – but you can’t go randomly attaching and detaching the bipod as the mood suits. What are you going to do with it?

You mean just like with any other wpn ?[/quote]
for the caracteristics, it look like a argentine FAP, and this weapon its
almost impossible to fire in auto with a cleared aim.[/quote]

Hi Cpl Condor, and welcome to the site.

Your FAP, (Argentine version of the FN FALO,) weighs in at about six kilogrammes dry, the BAR was nearly half as much again ! (Approx nine kg.) The BAR’s weight is a tremendous aid.

I don’t own a BAR, (yet,) but have fired various models on a number of occasions without having any problems grouping with them. I find it to be a fine rifle for range work but wouldn’t want to carry it in the fd or rely on it as a Sp wpn.

To the planks - you know who you are - please look to Hatcher’s work, quoted above by MoS.
Hatcher’s Notebook should be required reading for those on these boards.

Nice pointing!

Here it is: http://www.booktrail.com/Guns_General/Hatcher’s%20Notebook.asp

Edit: ISBN: 0811707954

Nice pointing!

Here it is: http://www.booktrail.com/Guns_General/Hatcher’s%20Notebook.asp[/quote]

It’ll be a problem for many though Dani.

It’s not a colouring book.

:lol:

In case anyone doubts Hatcher’s credentials, as a certain moron once did, here they are:

Major-General Julian S. Hatcher

Technical editor, the American Rifleman, member, the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice. Member, the United States Olympic Games committee. Director, the National Rifle Association of America, 1922 to 1946.

“Distinguished pistol shot” US Army. Winner, Webley and Scott pistol Trophy, Bisley, England, 1931. US international rifle team, Switzerland, 1925; Rome, 1927; Antwerp, 1930. Captain, US international rifle team, Bisley, England, 1931.

Editor, “The Dope Bag,” pistol section, Arms and the man and the American riflemen, 1922 to 1933. Life member, United States revolver Association.

Officer in charge, experimental Department, Springfield Armoury, 1917. Chief, machine-gun and small arms section, engineering division, Ordnance, Washington, 1918. Works manager, Springfield armoury, 1919-1921. Officer in charge of small arms ammunition manufacture, Frankford Arsenal, 1923-1928. Chief of small arms division, technical staff, ordnance Department, Washington, 1929. Chief of small arms division, manufacturing service, ordnance Department, Washington, 1929-1933. Assistant Commandant, the ordnance school, 1937-1940. Commanding general, the ordnance training Centre, 1941-1942. Chief of ordnance training service, 1942-1943. Chief Field service, 1943-1945.

Distinguished service medal, Legion of Merit.

I have to say that when I came to these boards my small arms knowledge was pretty basic.

I have been enlightened no end of times about the various weapons and their effectiveness. If I got nothing else from this site, this would be enough for me.

However, like many here they dont turn me on enough to go and buy Hatchers book, I think it would just put me to sleep. Thats not saying its no good by the way, its just not in my interest in depth field. I’m more of an armour and aircraft man when it comes to ww2, or maybe German politics 1919-1945 (which would bore the pants off most).

What I will say though is, if you genuinely dont know something, please make it clear that you dont. If you have a genuine question, please ask it and it will be answered by guys who have access to these types books.

Its fine to say, I prefer an MP-40 because it looks cool and I like the styling in a thread that asks what is your favourite ww2 small arm.

Its not fine to say the same if the poster asks for a bit more information, thats just dumb.

That’s easy - put it on the same lorry that Frionscam insisted contained five different types of rifles for every soldier to allow them to select the most suitable weapon for the type of combat they were engaging in :twisted:

Nice pointing!

Here it is: http://www.booktrail.com/Guns_General/Hatcher’s%20Notebook.asp[/quote]

It’ll be a problem for many though Dani.

It’s not a colouring book.

:lol:[/quote]
thanks for the tip. 8)

My best friend’s father was a BAR man in the Pacific and we used to relentlessly question him on combat. Let me say that BAR men used the weapon in every scenario mentioned above- prone with the bi-pods, hip shots and shouldered while standing to do things like take snap shots at tree snipers.

When I got out of the USMC I worked for my father who was sheriff of Sebastian County Arkansas. I had the pleasure to fire the weapons in their arsenal which included a Thompson and a BAR. I am here to tell you as one with hands-on experience that the BAR does not have in any way imaginable an out of control recoil. It is a bit less harsh than the M-14 due to its heavy weight. The bi-pod folds alongside the barrel when not in use just like our M-14’s. It’s not a scary monster weapon it simply needs attention as do all weapons if you are going to point them downrange or at the enemy.