BAR Gunner Role

No that is just to show you that I am not lying. The BAR was used in every wich fitted the men who used them and I mentioned one and did not say that yours are wrong.

Henk

Do you use it with and without bipod? too in auto or single shot?
Sorry, but I want to know… 8)

Condor I did not fool with the bipod much, maybe 1 clip. It makes for a tight feeling position prone though and I felt like I could have hit good at medium distances as well as my old M-14 could have had I shot more. While it is heavy it is not difficult to fire from the shoulder on auot or semi auto. Like every long arm you need to get a snug hold on it. If you aren’t tightened up at the shoulder and 1/8" slack remains it will bruise you and give you a headache.

Single shots are pretty much just like a Garrand only less recoil. The BAR really had moderate recoil in my opinion in all situations.

Remember, one of the wizards of the century’s gun designers, John Browning, developed the BAR and he wasn’t down with “good enough” weapons or would have built anything that was a wildass gun.

the BAR Rifle has been mispronouced a fair bit. For those who don’t know it is pronounced B…A…R not “bar” ( as in metal bar but each letter is individually said)

Proove it ! ! !

Whilst B.A.R. is the official abbreviation I bet the troops called it BAR as in “Chocolate bar”.

the soldiers call it a BAR because it’s initials are Browning Automatic Rifle, it’s nickname is BAR which is faster to say than Browning Automatic Rifle. :smiley:

You can ask any American soldier and they will say B.A.R and not bar

Just a quick point to add. If the BAR had an out of control recoil, the weapon would be useless and therefore not used.

As it is a section assest it would be used by the section for many purposes. It could be used to support the attack and as the key point of defence. The gunner would use the best position possible to achieve his shot, so with if they had the time they would adopt the prone position for the most stable position for shots, at closer ranges perhaps only kneeling or standing.

Shooting from the hips would only be used when neccesary such as in CQB environments, Urban, forest or jungle. This is maybe where the confusion comes from on this matter. In the Pacific most fighting would be CQB so it would be fired from the hip more.

PLT.SGT.BAKER all weapons require training before a soldier can use them, I am wondering what training would be speciallised for the BAR. It could be extra training in that they would have to be trained to fire at faster rates and longer distances but that is all, but nothing actually specialliesd.

Well the US WW2 veterans who fought against the Japenese who fired a BAR will tell you it is a said like bar and not B.A.R because they called it BAR because it was short and easy to say and remember. I do not know if they troops today call it B.A.R because it is not on the topic of WW2. I know it should actualy be B.A.R or Browning Automatic Rifle but like PLT.SGT.BAKER said it was a nickname used by the US troops fighting mostly against the Japenese.

Henk

Shooting from the hips would only be used when neccesary such as in CQB environments, Urban, forest or jungle. This is maybe where the confusion comes from on this matter. In the Pacific most fighting would be CQB so it would be fired from the hip more.

I think this comes from when it was first introduced in WW1. One of the tactics used was for the soldiers to advance at the walk firing to give covering fire in the advance across no-mans-land. Short burst to keep heads down.

i have to disagree. do you have any proof that infantry called it bar instead of B.A.R? all wwii vets i have heard and wwii historians call it B.A.R, and not bar as in chocolate bar. the only people ive heard call it bar are people who dont know the real name and well… are wwii history noobs (not anyone here of course, people i work with)

see at least someone can back me up. and 1000ydstare shooting from the hip was only really used when running side ways across a street and the recoil…they just bloody got used to it didn’t they :!:

Hiddenrug, if the recoil of a weapon is going to affect the aiming of the shot you don’t “just get used to it”. It would infact never have entered service in the first place. In any army a weapon is first tested, I think the BAR would have been tested at Springfield Armoury in America, for handling and accuracy.

As for running across streets sideways blazing from the hip, are you bonkers? That is the daftest idea I have ever read. Many rounds would be wasted if that sort of tactic was introduced on a mass scale and the enemy would soon learn that there was more chance of being hit by lightning than by a round fired in that way. It would be more likely to hit your own men, if they were closer to the enemy than you were.

Soldiers know that you have to carry ammo, so you don’t waste shots by blazing away from the hip as you run. That is what your mucker is for, covering fire. He covers you whilst you move, you cover him whilst he moves with accurate, effective fire, from a stable fire position.

Please put down you playstation, or mortal combat or what ever film you are watching and wake up to the real world.

I am aware that some “soldiers” do this sort of thing, but they are normally 3rd world “soldiers” with no training other than what they have learnt the hard way.

Having read some of your other posts and your profile I see you are a cadet and that you wish to join your countries fine army, hiddenrug.

Do yourself a favour, tell your cadet sergeant (i.e. one who has actually been in the Army, Infantry would be prefered) about your opinions about fireing from the hip. If he doesn’t slap you around the head, hard, with your weapon or anything else he can lay his hands on, you will know that you are correct.

Also read up on some tactics from your army, you may be able to buy some books on the matter from book stores. Usually i would say that the writers and readers of such books are slightly waltish, however in your case you desparatly need a crash course.

When do you join the diggers? I wish you good luck and I am sure there is a Section Screw just waiting to put you on the right path.

1000ydstare

Well lets not get nasty with each other. I must agree with Hiddenburg that they did fire the BAR from the hip but not all the time. Why would you say B.A.R when you can just say BAR. Like we said before. It was a slang for Browning Automatic Rifle and not it’s real name. Many stuff in WW2 had slang words for it and that did not matter because if someone sead the lslang word everyone knew what they talked about. The word BAR was the slang for the Browning Automatic Rifle LMG model M1918A1. Even in all my History books on WW2 they call it the BAR because it is how everyone knew it and the specific model of Browning.

And it does not mean that if you have a degree in History that you know everything. You still learn new stuff every day.

Henk

It does get confusing in here, doesn’t it?

I do not know what you mean by sayin that it is confusing? Like I said before they did fire it from the shoulder but the part of the great recoil I take back but the soldiers did fire it from the hip. The BAR was fired from both possitions.

What do you think MoS, did they call it BAR or B.A.R?

Henk

better, B.A.R. for Browning automatic rifle. :arrow:

Witch one did the soldiers use?

Henk