Best firearm of the war.

Jan, looks like a prototype Bren to me (vz-37?): note the position of the gas block and the nature of the gas regulator.

The Russians claim they had already had developed an intermediate cartridge by 1943 aka M1943; which morphed into the M43, aka 7.62x39. It was first chambered in the SKS. Mikhail Kalshnikov started his gun design career about 1942 and he must have had access to captured Stg44’s when he entered the assault rifle competition in 1945. His winning entry was the now famous AK-47, based in part on one of his previous designs, and chambered for the M43. Given it’s resemblence to the StG44 in many respects, I strongly suspect Kalshnikov’s AK-47 was significantly influenced by the StG44. The first AK-47’s had machined receivers, but soon switched to stamped sheet metal ala StG44. Given that both the the US and USSR were carting off German technology and technicians after the war, the Russians much have bagged some firearm booty.

The picture posted by Adrian Wainer is the ZGB 34, which only differs from the Bren Mk 1 in having a louvered barrel.

thats the type-96 the japanese version of the bren, the bren dont have a recoil absorbing spring

the Sturmgehwer 44 due to the fact that it chambered 7.92mm bullet and was the one of the deadliest foot soldiers weapon of ww2

Feldwebel 1942

Please look again at the Adrian Wainer’s picture and compare it to your reference picture (If you have one) of the type 96. You will see that the only similarities are the curved magazine, louvered barrel and it rests on a bipod.

Paul

So what is it? a bren, mg26, ZGB 34, or vz-37?

It is a ZGB 30 .303 cal:( With louvered barrel)

ZGB 33 & 34 .303 cal: became the bren and manufactured under licence in Enfield England. All the weapons measurements being converted from Metric to Imperial with the smooth standard barrel.

I mistakenly said that the weapon pictured was the ZGB 34, when infact it is the ZGB 30 (.303cal)

The ZGB 33/34 (.303cal) became the Bren, which was manufactured under licence in Enfield England. all measurements being converted from Metric to Imperial and the barrel was the smooth type standard to all later marks.

Paul

bren gun for me

34battle2xs6[1].gif

the gun pictured is the ZB 26 light machine gun (Czechoslovakia)

my opinion the best HMG ever made

Surely the MG42 is a GPMG (even tho the term hadn’t been coined back then)rather than a HMG, given it’s multi perpose role.

Staz johnson

You are right it is a GPMG seeing as it was used in the light (Bipod) mode, sustained fire (Tripod) mode and on all and sundry vehicles. Mind you, you could also say the same for the MG 34 as well. A “heavy Machine-gun” it isn’t. A “medium Machine-gun”, it most certainly is.

I steal go with The Tanaka K98 rifle…it had a hard recoil but it was very acurat…Its magazin cud hold 5 round (bullets)…and yau can put a scoope…It was used the moust as a rifle but it was the deathliest as a sniper rifle…Every body was afraid of the german snipers…

Um… the Tanaka K98 is a repro of the Mauser K98 made by a Japanese company…

I think the Soumi is a fantastic gun! what’s the difference between it and the PPSh?

i would ahve to say the MG-42 or the STG 44 both evolved into great weapons and the MG 42 is still used to but modified and modern it is now called the MG 3 and is used by the german military and canadian tank crews.The Stg on the other hand was the first assault rifle.

It’s desirable to give reasons for your opinion.

MG-42 too , reliable weapon , proved itself on every front in every condition ( not like MP-40 having some problems ) so it was the best for me .