Breakfast rituals

My roots are more Irish than British (or more accurately English), but there’s a limit to what one can do with cabbage and potatoes. Which was pretty much the British attitude to treating my Irish ancestors with murderous contempt as a bunch of cabbages and potatoes during the Famine. But that is all forgotten now, as the Poms have done so much more since to piss off the Irish. :wink: :smiley:

Anyway, a great dish can be made by taking some mashed potato and adding shredded cabbage, bacon (or cooked corned beef), pepper, mace, and frying the lot in bacon fat and or butter and you have a very nice Colcannon.

It’s better if you saute small cubes of parboiled but cooled and dry potato rather than using mashed potato, and then add the other ingredients. It gives you a meal of identifiably different tastes and textures rather than a somewhat mushy oversized rissole, and with nice crispy bits of spud in it.

But if you are going to use mashed potato just mash the boiled spuds because if you try to fry mashed spuds after milk has been added you’ll never get them to brown properly as there is too much moisture in them.

Yes, those are the ones, except they are made sweet rather than plain.

The only ones I can find are McVities shortbread digestives with black currants. Couldn’t find a reasonable sized pic to post.

Ahahahaha!:cool:

P.S. If I can find some Vegemite, I’ll let you know my thoughts on it. I have seen Marmite for sale here, I’ll have a look see today on the way home from work.

FTG needs to let us know of what a German “first breakfast” consists, since we’re on the subject. Please?

There ain’t that much difference.

They’re both the sharp and salty concentrated residue of arcane industrial processes which previously were thrown out to poison the environment for future generations until someone persuaded humans they could eat it and, better still because of the added vitamin B, it was actually good for them.

If you don’t like Marmite you sure ain’t gonna like Vegemite.

If you like Marmite you might prefer it to Vegemite, or vice versa.

Navyson

Don’t put Marmite / Vegemite on in a thick layer like jam.

A thin smear is all you need on some buttered toast, at least until you acquire a taste for it.

A teaspoon (or tablespoon depending upon taste) of Marmite / Vegemite added to a gravy when cooking it really lifts it for red meats and a bit less for chicken, but it’s too strong for fish.

Cool, thanks!

What is American style bacon?

Are your pigs (or hogs / hawgs) anatomically different to those in the rest of the world?

They’d better be, and they’d better be huge, because as far as I’m concerned a measly two slices of the bacon we’re used to isn’t even worth getting out of bed for.

I wouldn’t even think about shifting myself for anything less than half a dozen middle rashers, rind off, because they shrink down to about a third of the original amount of bacon which is about two rashers which I wouldn’t get out of bed for …

On reflection, I need about a dozen middle rashers just to make me think about getting up.

1. None of them are toothless, although one lacks teeth in a convenient arrangement.

2. You may have confused ‘mountain women’ with ‘mountin’ women’.

3. I’d retire rather than face that ravening crew.

This excellent Wiki article pretty much covers it all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakfast
Take a look at this Myanmar breakfast dish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IMG_1601.JPG). I’d post the photo here but I don’t want RS* to suffer another relapse.:lol:

Well, our bacon differs mostly in the way it is sliced,in thin, narrow strips. The Canadian/U.K. version is more of the slab type, and much thicker. I eat only a bit of it since I need to stay ahead of the herds of feral mountain women. :shock:

Amurican bacon.jpg

Britanic style bacon.jpg

My mother used to scramble chorizo up with eggs, and they were good. I continued this practice until one time I happened to read the contents (I think by then the federal government was requiring labeling). I can’t remember exactly what it was, but I know I asked my neighbors if they wanted the stuff–they did. I believe it said something like pig snouts and lymphatic glands. And to think I’d been eating this stuff all these years.

I am, by the way, an afficionado of Mexican food. When I was corresponding with a young ex-Soviet officer from St. Petersburg, I mentioned that they probably didn’t have ‘Mexican food’ in that former imperial capital. Genadi said they did, in fact. I’d be curious to know what the Russian version of Mexican food tastes like.

Here’s the French answer incl. the unforgotten Louis de Funes and the effect of his cabbage soup. Watch it till the end, it is worthwhile:mrgreen::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUlq9tISfxA

Chipped beef on toast is pretty much the same as sausage gravy,only has beef as the meat ingredient. also called creamed beef, or by the venerable appellation of SOS.

Oh my Lord, Vegemite is harsh! Good thing I bought the smallest bottle I found. The fourth bite of buttered toast with it on was passable (yes, surprisingly I got to four bites;)).

It goes well with cheese in a sandwich.

Or have tiger toast, which is strips of Vegemite alternated with strips of cheese and toasted under a griller until the cheese melts.

I usually eat a smoked herring for breakfast.It puts hair on your chest!

What if you tried smoked herring with Vegemite? Might never get a date again!:mrgreen:

Has anyone actually consumed the delicacy known as blood sausage? I for some still yet unknown reason actually Googled this subject and came up with the largely 20th century construction of the “proper breakfast” as eaten in the UK and Ireland, which includes healthy (or unhealthy :slight_smile: ) doses of the standard fare or eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, etc. But also blood sausage is common and part of the traditional means of stretching any source of protein for people of lessor means, though now it’s apparently considered a delicacy eaten by many. It’s certainly not widely eaten in the US though I’m sure parts of Canada indulge in it and I’m sure it’s available at some of the ethnic stores here.

But, is it worth actually finding?

It’s considered a delicacy regionally in Germany as well. It kind of polarizes, you gotta love it or hate it. I couldn’t eat it any day but occasionally I enjoy it- either on a sandwich with mustard or fried with onions.
P.S. I like the British term “Black Pudding” or “Blood Pudding” better.
See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blutwurst

It’d be over 35 years since I last had it, sliced and fried in a pan.

I don’t remember it being much different to various other rich sausages of the salami etc type. It obviously didn’t grab me that much or I would have included it in my diet.

Like FTG said, here it was called black pudding then.

Its the one popular food I have not had while in Europe, or the U.K. Just didnt like the look of it…