Canadian military

Yes, Canadians were amongst those captured by the Japanese at Hong Kong when the war started. I’ve heard reports of the Japanese bayonetting their wounded and forcing survivors to jump off the battlements of a castle there.

the Japanese did many cruel things during that dark part of their history

they forced labour into the allied troops to construct the notorious Thai-Burmese Train Track

they fed them only 1 cup full of rice everyday

into some POW camps, the death toll was as high as 90%

the Japanese left food outside the prisons boundaries and had a guard secretly hidden so when a person went to eat it they’d be shot

they were also used as guinea pigs during Japanese Scientific investigations

Hello :arrow: http://www.marville.org/
Here the web site of the first wing of Royal Canadian Air Force, (after the war) they was beside at my village, I live in Belgium but France is to one km and they are to go to Germany in 1967, because General de Gaulle not to more need NATO Everyone remembers of them, because they gave to their lives during the war for the freedom of people of our countries ,the Germans were very malicious at the end of the war not only the SS because to see the end of war to come for the Reich
:oops: I can’t Speak English sorry for the grammatical mistake if you don’t understand me excuse :cry:

Welcome, and thanks for the hyperlink. We have lots of users here from around the world; no one will criticise your english. Think of it as a good way to practise.

Crab.

Canads last VC was in the Pacific bombing a Jap destoryer

Most of the Zombies came the chicken province called Quebec

Why you say “chicken”? What means?

Why you say “chicken”? What means?[/quote]

Most not all didn’t think they should be fighting.it wasn’t there war(Quebec)

The Canadians did have a few home-grown weapons in WW2 (as did the Aussies).

The RAM tank was probably one of the better known, which was basically an M3 GRANT chassis with a hull of Canadian design that looked a bit like a SHERMAN with a very prominet side hatch.

By the time it was developed, things had moved on a bit, and it’s 6 pdr gun wasn’t really effective.

Some were converted to either ARV, FOO or gun towers for the 17 pdr, but most were turned into the RAM KANGAROO where the turret was taken off and they were used as APCs.

Later in the War, the Canadians built a close copy of the SHERMAN, called the GRIZZLY, of which only about 188 were made. Post War, 50 were sold to portugal where they remained in service until 1973, when they were sold to private collectors. For this reason, many of the remaining SHERMAN tanks are actually GRIZZLY.

An experimental variant of the GRIZZLY was the SKINK, which was a fairly standard hull fitted with a quad 20mm AA turret.

Link to information about RAM and variants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_tank

GRIZZLY and variants

http://web.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104/p.htm

This site has useful information about the Canadian input, especially the vehicles such as the CMP trucks and WINDSOR carrier.

http://www.mapleleafup.org/vehicles/index.html

THe Canadian military used mostly british weapons in WWII. Their appaerance was also much like the british. THe same rank structure was also used. All Canadians sent to battle were volunteers (1.1Million) and were well respected around the world for that fact.

Good day all…

Nice to meet you I’m sure…

Since this is November 11, I am posting a war-bond poster depicting my Father; Brigadier General Dollard Menard Canadian Army(1913-1997)…

Although my thoughts go-out to ALL Soldiers who fought for their country…

Being from the province of Quebec, my father’s soldiers died valiantly and in French…they were ALL volunteers…

Welcome friend. Interestring post indeed, do you have any other information on your father?

Thanks for the welcome…

I’m an old man and I have many stories… :slight_smile:

Here is a photo of my father leading his Regiment ashore (Regiment de Hull) At the Joint USA/Canada landinds on the Island of Kiska in August 1943, the remainder of the invasion force landed on the beaches of the the island of Attu, the last Island in the Aleutian chain extending from western Alaska…The wounds received at Dieppe were not yet fully healed…

Another member asked about armament…note that he is carrying an M1 Carbine and underneath his battle-dress jacket in a shoulder holster, is the same 1911 that he carried at Dieppe. The pistol was re-barreled by a US Armorer to .45 ACP from .455, during the Ocean voyage to Kiska…Note also the US pack-frame and US rank insignia which were used to prevent confusion amongst the troops in the two forces involved in the operation…

Welcome :wink:

Great two posts there :!:

Very interesting mate, I see he is also wearing the US Helmet.

Where did he go from there, back to Europe?

Welcome! Did you see the pictures i posted from the Dieppe Raid? It’s in the Black and White category of the gallery.

Does anyone know whether the Canadians used the P-47 thunderbolt ? I assume they did because the British used it but i don’t know for a fact if the Canadians did or not.

Firefly
He returned to Canada via Vancouver BC, arriving Mid January 1944…it was in Vancouver that he encountered his likeness plastered on the walls, he was not aware at the time, that such a poster even existed…

He was not immediately re-assigned…his wounds needing further attention. His next assignment came at the end of 1945, it was to serve as the military attache at the Canadian Embassy in Paris, the ambassador at that time was General Georges Vanier…My mother, younger sister and self followed on a small steamer bouncing in the winter Atlantic storms, arriving in France via England early 1946, we remained in France until late 1949, returning to Canada, however, this time the atlantic winter fury was eased somewhat,by the fact that we were travelling on the “Empress of Scotland”… :slight_smile:

ww2admin

Yes…A fine collection.

Thanks for your efforts…

I’m sure some canadian pilots has the pleasure of flying a P-47. But it was not used thoughly nor was it a regularly used airplane in the Canadian Air Force of WWII.

Great!, The good quebec, French and Catholical, that’s great, my fav place in canada btw.

A really good post, you must be proud of your father!.