Coronavirus: What's Going On In Your Part Of The World?

Yeah, they have to be 10 round mags to be NYS compliant, which I’m fine with, I don’t even need 10 :wink:

Yeah, they have to be 10 round mags to be NYS compliant, which I’m fine with, I don’t even need 10 :wink:

Best to err on the side of capacity, keep 3 or 4 mags around. These days home invaders are not often just an individual, but small groups of 3-5 people, which makes a very different situation to defend against.

I’m not aware of that sort of conduct here, but I consider it about the same as looting after major disasters like hurricanes and bushfires. Buying ridiculous quantities of food and other supplies isn’t much different. Not unknown in some times and places to shoot looters on sight, but it’s probably a bit extreme to shoot people at supermarket checkouts because they have a 20 pack of toilet rolls when a 10 pack seems more than fair. Still, such a practice would definitely see a lot more toilet rolls left on the supermarket shelves. And a lot more raiders disinclined to raid supermarkets.

Until a fortnight ago I’d spent the last couple of months working on our beach shack in an area with a fairly small population about an hour away from the nearest parts of our capital city, and two to three times that away from most of the capital. I shopped daily for dinner and everything was fine, until a few weeks ago I suddenly found the place empty of the usual raider items of toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, eggs, most meats, etc. Turns out that busloads had come down from the capital to raid.

I’ve spent the last couple of weeks working on another project in a major regional city about the same time away from the capital in the opposite direction. Same happened here. Spoke to a bloke working on my place yesterday and found out that the same had happened in his town, about another hour further away.

Plenty of reports from other places of similar raids by busloads coming up from the capitals in our major states.

Can’t comment on what’s happening in other states, but what our news media isn’t reporting that I’ve heard from eyewitnesses to these bus borne raids is that they’re Chinese, or at least of similar appearance, which is entirely consistent with the Chinese local locusts who’ve been raiding our shops for the past few years for baby formula and other items to send back to China at great profit, not least because the Chinese locally produced stuff isn’t like our reliable quality. That is, our stuff is guaranteed not to kill or even harm the baby, unlike some of the crap made in China.

No doubt the media have, quite reasonably in difficult times, chosen to avoid inflaming tensions in the community by avoiding any reference to the origin of these raiders, the same way the media often (unreasonably, in my view) avoid reference to the origin of a particular ethnic group which comprises a tiny, tiny part of our population but is responsible for the vast bulk of the explosion in violent home invasions and carjackings, which were crimes almost unknown here 5 or 6 years ago outside criminal on criminal offences.

As usual, it’s a few percent at the bottom of the barrel who cause most of the trouble.

Unlike USA, I gather from limited sources that there hasn’t been much of an increase in gun sales here, possibly because in my state there’s nominally a 28 day delay in getting a permit to acquire a specified gun but often longer thanks to administrative delays, and this coronavirus thing has only got serious in the public mind in the past few weeks. I heard a gun shop owner in a country town today saying he’d been cleaned out of ammunition and other items such as camping equipment, which suggests that some people with guns are preparing for bad times.

Should lawlessness occur, a Circuit Judge might help to restore law and order.

Different to preparing for armed Armageddon, a mate in a huge hardware chain told me today that their sales of vegetable seedlings have gone through the roof in recent weeks.

Seems that there’s a bit of a lack of understanding by buyers of how long and when their vegetables are due to produce edible results, assuming that first time urban farmers get a crop at all.

Probably not much different to people who’ve been bulk buying flour, but never cooked bread or cakes or pasta from scratch. (Experimenting for the impending lockdown, I made some damper* tonight, which reminded me why I don’t like the taste of the raising agents in self raising flour.)

Yeah! You should really wait until they go to their cars at the parking lot… :evil: :smiley: :smiley:

Seriously, some idiots that bought too much toilet paper here are now trying to return them to places like Walmart, and be told to **** themselves it’s theirs…

I have yet to figure out the obsession with hoarding toilet paper, of all things.

Hard to say why they chose that particular commodity to lose their minds over, but then, panic isn’t a reasoned behavior. Some stores here are stocked fine again, others are still working on it. A friend of mine who works at a Walmart Store said that they had a limit of 2 packs /person, and some woman was incensed that she couldn’t take 3, and showed her outrage by throwing the 3rd pack at my friend before storming off. This was 4-5 days back. Most people are just fine, and deal with the temporary situation.

For a bit of lighthearted fun, a video for your amusement.
https://youtu.be/I3xpRZITi2w

Good one!

Same here, with no refunds on the panic bought items. Some people will probably have their toilet paper disintegrate before they get around to using it many years into the future. I hope it disintegrates when they’re using it.

A manager of a local supermarket told a customer with a trolley load of baked beans etc that the limit was two cans etc a person. Customer arced up and ended up throwing cans at manager, which hurt when they connected. When customer ran out of cans, manager informed him that new limit was zero cans and zero everything else in his trolley, “So f**k off out of my store!”. Which the customer eventually did.

Some disgusting incidents of customers spitting on staff and otherwise demonstrating that a tiny proportion of the population are complete ar**holes who should be rounded up and rooted with the rough end of a rooting pineapple until they see reason.

Who would have thought that kids working in supermarkets would become essential service workers facing the daily risk of coronavirus infection, and employed to disinfect everything in sight as minimum wage casual workers?

As you say TG, most people are fine. But, as usual, it’s a small proportion of the population who stuff it up for the rest of us.

Bad news on the Circuit Judge. My state’s government has been alarmed by a doubling of applications for a permit to acquire a gun (28 day wait in theory, much more in practice) in the past week, so today it’s shut down gun and ammunition sales. Possibly not a major disaster as the Circuit Judges for sale are fairly rare and there wasn’t one immediately for sale in my state.

On the gun availability issue, guess who’s got more guns than people like me with gun licences, and who’s more likely to use them for illegal purposes, and who’s most likely to be using them against defenceless and law abiding citizens if this all turns to massive sh*t? No prizes for the obvious answer.

In my City, the Spring Primary Elections were held this past Tuesday, At first the State Governor had wanted to postpone them until June. However, the State Supreme Court overruled him as he does not have that authority. so, the in person voting did take place as usual. Those who didn’t want to go to the polling place, were able to vote Absentee via mail. No problems noted at the Polling places, I went early, when few people were there. done in 5 minutes. I did keep a well folded paper towel to my face while there. the Poll workers had masks, and gloves.
From the latest news, Wisconsin is about to show a drop off of cases, so looks like things may be improving sooner than expected. Hope this goes for the whole of the world.

I saw that, politicians were never credited with intelligence, eh?

Anyway, things are going well enough in Texas land, university switched to online classes which makes things like group work a lot harder. I don’t miss the hour drive every day though, so that’s a plus. Shelves are still stocked but prices have increased as expected. Fish has at least doubled in price.

I’m not sure about things going better soon, Spanish Flu lasted 3 years in 2 huge waves, and I don’t see this going much shorter.

Currently in Wisconsin, the Governor’s Declared State of Emergency expires on 4/24. He Decided to extend it another 30 days till 5/24, and issued the Executive Order. That created a problem, as under Wisconsin Law and it’s Constitution, A Governor may unilaterally declare a State of emergency for a variety of reasons. This State of Emergency does have a time limit of 60 Days, and expires at the end of Day 60. In order to Lawfully extend any State of emergency, the governor must Petition the State Legislature seeking permission to extend it, and they may by Joint Resolution, either grant, or refuse the Petition. The power to extend lies solely with the Legislature. That said, the governor ignored the law, and illegally extended the Order. This has caused a large problem for the Legislature, and they are , as they should, decrying the action, and it is now in the hands of the State Supreme Court. I do not believe that the court will allow the extension. As it stands, the Order will expire at the end of the 60 Mandated Days, and that will be that, begin to wisely,and with reason, reopen the State.

Texas is beginning to reopen. Bexar County (San Antonio and satellite cities) has a population of 2+ million. Of those 1100-1200 confirmed cases, 42 deaths. It’s difficult not to think that this is not overblown. (Not that I’d want to contract it.) I’ve had to work during the “stay home, stay safe” orders althougth I’m a homebody by nature.

A fairly ing offensive statement for the over 50,000 dead and counting in this country. I think the refer tractor trailers outside of hospitals full of bodies in NYC sort of belie that notion that this was “overblown”. We didn’t reach the epoch some predicted because of social distancing working well and people complying unexpectedly well, but of course, the idiot governors in places like Georgia are going to pay in the end for opening when their deaths are just peaking. As far as opening, I’m personally fine with it if we acted more like places like Germany and South Korea and sans a cluster federal response and we actually had testing in place by now.

No offense to anybody.
When these measures were put in place, it seems the estimated American deaths was 2.2 million. That’s why these strict measures were put in place, right? Then it dropped to 500,000, then 220,000, then 150,000, then 90,000, then 60,000. At what point do you ask why the continued measures need to stay in place ad infinitum? Some states are quarantining until June.

I’m not sure where you are getting the “2.2M” stat from. The US only? The entire world? No social distancing at all?

According to “Statnews”. the projection last month (March) was 100,000. I think the highest death projection I can find is about 240,000 Americans might die. But keep in mind, this will comeback.

And we’re above 50,000 now, but that doesn’t include the people found read in their homes and the total world deaths may be under-counted by around 40,000…

Here’s an article mentioning the number:
https://www.cato.org/blog/how-one-model-simulated-22-million-us-deaths-covid-19