Downfall-deruntergang film

K finally saw the movie with English subtitles which makes a big difference. Coz my german is much crappier than i had ever imagine. The only reason I half way knew what was going on last time was coz I knew the history. Anyhow Good Movie. I give it an 8/10.

A must see.

One of the best war films i have seen so far, showing what happened inside the Third Reich during the last few days… 9.5/10

I thought the movie was interesting.

I remember watching the special features on the DVD after watching the movie and noted that the German actress who played Magda Goebbels explained how difficult it was for her emotionally preparing for her role - that Magda Goebbels could bring herself to poison all of her children was particularly troubling to her.

Downfall

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009RCPUC/ref=pd_bxgy_img_b/102-9661992-1376916?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
The riveting subject of Downfall is nothing less than the disintegration of Adolf Hitler in mind, body, and soul. A 2005 Academy Award nominee for best foreign language film, this German historical drama stars Bruno Ganz (Wings of Desire) as Hitler, whose psychic meltdown is depicted in sobering detail, suggesting a fallen, pathetic dictator on the verge on insanity, resorting to suicide (along with Eva Braun and Joseph and Magda Goebbels) as his Nazi empire burns amidst chaos in mid-1945. While staging most of the film in the claustrophobic bunker where Hitler spent his final days, director Oliver Hirschbiegel (Das Experiment) dares to show the gentler human side of der Fuehrer, as opposed to the pure embodiment of evil so familiar from many other Nazi-era dramas. This balanced portrayal does not inspire sympathy, however: We simply see the complexity of Hitler’s character in the greater context of his inevitable downfall, and a more realistic (and therefore more horrifying) biographical portrait of madness on both epic and intimate scales. By ending with a chilling clip from the 2002 documentary Blind Spot: Hitler’s Secretary, this unforgettable film gains another dimension of sobering authenticity. --Jeff Shannon

From The New Yorker
The great Swiss-German actor Bruno Ganz gives a staggering performance as Adolf Hitler in this full-scale realist German production detailing the last ten days of the Third Reich. As the Red Army rampages through Berlin, Hitler and his staff have retreated to the bunker under the Reich Chancellery. They are all here-Himmler, Goebbels, Speer, the entire fascinating, loathsome crew of commanders, mad visionaries, and toadies (all brilliantly acted)-and, leading them still, a man so physically ill and constricted in movement that he looks like a broken-down puppet from a Bavarian travelling circus. The puppet comes to life, of course, in appalling self-pitying rants that are borderline funny. The entire movie teeters on the edge of sick comedy-in particular such scenes as the death of the Goebbels children, one by one, at the hands of their mother-and at times one longs for a coldly malicious ironist like Brecht or Fassbinder to come in and take over. The attempt to re-create Hitler in realistic terms has always been morally and imaginatively questionable-a compromise with the unspeakable that borders on complicity with it. Produced and written by Bernd Eichinger; directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel. In German. -David Denby
Copyright © 2006 The New Yorker.

Also many customer reviews at the above site.

In here you can see some trailers.

http://www.moviemaze.de/media/trailer/1415/der-untergang.html

I personally liked “Der Untergang”.
It is funny thing that I could not borrow it in Australia. Also I couldn’t find DVD
in the shops… I ordered DVD from Poland.

Look at this comments: http://www.meaus.com/93-movie-der-untergang.htm

Interesting are remarks about “falsely presented facts”.

I don’t know how credible is author and his site.

Cheers,

Lancer44

I was under the impression…due to what ive read and heard…that the majority of the movie was pretty accurate. Sure there is a bit of “Hollywood” in every movie. It looked pretty dead on to me. Of course I wasnt there.

The movie is pretty good as for sticking to the facts, I believe the scene when Jung and the HJ boy ride their bicycle in the end is fictional, also the film play down Jung “Naziness”.

The one thing this movie proved to me is that most movie critics do not know their arses point to the ground.

Regards Digger.

This is a very good WWII movie that will become a classic.

For those who understand German it’s great to watch the movie in German without subtitles.

Very good acting of “Bruno Ganz” portraying Hitler.

Get yourself the ultimate thick edition “3-disc Special Extended Edition”