Drinking

Schneider Weisse Dunkel is fantastic. Can’t get it here though :frowning:

Newcastle Brown Ale!

I’m rather partial to the original Budweiser, from Budwar, or Staroprammen.

Is a great beer. But usually gives ya the runs something awful. :smiley: :?

Do they still make Gillespies Scottish Stout? It was quite good IIRC. A good beer to try is Hobgoblin if you can find it and Marston’s Old Empire IPA is an excellent counter to those who consider lager more “refreshing” than proper beer in the summer.

A Geordie once told me that the correct way to drink Newcastle Brown was from a haf-pint glass half-filled and regularly topped up - something about oxidation, it needs to get air to it and should be drunk slowly.

They’ve got some good art (see below) but Hobgoblin doesn’t do it for me - not really sure why, but there’s something about it that just doesn’t taste right.

Just don’t try Oyster Stout (yes, containing real oysters) - that was the foullest thing I’ve ever drunk in my life!

Edit: Just to make things clear, Oyster Stout is not brewed by Wychwood - can’t remember who though as it was about 11pm at the Cambridge Beer Festival a couple of years ago and my memory was getting a bit hazy by that time!

The original Pilsner from Pilsen in the Czech republic is very good as well!

Jan

budweiser and schneider are very good!

Oyster Stout is Marstons I believe. I always thought it was to be drunk with oysters rather than made from them, I seem to recall it not being all that bad although it may have been a different Marston stout.

Th foulest beer (not icluding American Lager) I’ve ever is that stuff brewed by Badger that includes peach blossom. It smells and tastes gaggingly sweet.

Woods brews good stuff if you can find it.

I think that “American Lagers” are quite good, but the must be drunk good 'n cold, unlike some of the heavy tasting stuff. I prefer Michelob. Now that’s a fine beer! I very much dislike dark beer myself. It’s so heavy tasting, like drinking a bar of burnt barley dissolved in water.

Newcastle Brown.

Found the one I tried with a bit of googling:

Ventnor (Isle of Wight) 1996
Oyster Stout (4.5%)
Containing real oysters, this beer is a rich combination of the sweetness of an English stout and the silky smoothness of an Irish stout.

Big big big warning on stuff from Ventnor. Ventnor Gold is apparently a very pleasant ale/beer, which you enjoy thoroughly until it progresses beyond your stomach. At that point, it freefalls through the rest of your digestive tract accomanied by high pressure gasses and anything else in there too. This continues until you are pretty much empty. You have been warned!

Ventnor Gold - one of the nicest beers I have ever drunk, and possibly one of the nastiest ones when it hits the GI tract. I find that good old Wifebeater also has a similar effect on me.

Lovely stuff though.

Wifebeater? Seriously? Someone named a beer that? Good Lord.

Wifebeater? Seriously? Someone named a beer that? Good Lord.[/quote]

Sorry, I should make it clear that this is British slang for Stella Artois - so called because it can have the ability to make the most mild mannered man turn into a violent ogre! It doesn’t have that effect on me (it just makes me very drunk!).

Wifebeater? Seriously? Someone named a beer that? Good Lord.[/quote]

Sorry, I should make it clear that this is British slang for Stella Artois - so called because it can have the ability to make the most mild mannered man turn into a violent ogre! It doesn’t have that effect on me (it just makes me very drunk!).[/quote]

I though it came from rhyming slang for a certain prominent African politician, and I don’t mean Thabo Mbeki. A quick google hasn’t turned up much in the way of supporting arguments, and having seen pictures of Winnie I suspect any marital violence went the other way!

More googling, this time spelling ‘Mandela’ correctly, has nothing about dometic violence. Looks like I’m wrong.

Another explanation - I still think it’s just because it’s loopy juice.

In Great Britain and Ireland, the term is used as slang for the Belgian beer Stella Artois. A possible, but rather tenuous, origin links from a famous scene in the movie A Streetcar Named Desire, where Marlon Brando’s character yells “Stella!”, the name of his wife, as he begs her to return after violently beating her. In British culture, “Wifebeater” and Stella Artois are synonymous with pub drinking culture, whereby an individual orders a “pint of wifebeater”, followed by several more, and returns home intoxicated, followed by domestic abuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_beater_(slang%2529

Hi, how did I miss this, an opportunity for drinking in the west country with a cynical bent,

I will be sure to order a pint of “I thought guiness was an english beer” SHUTTUP its not even a beer it is a stout! you heathen.

Be gone with you. - More importantly cider and perry are the way forward, they should be flat, cloudy and jsut above chilled, but from a frosted glass, personal favourite at the moment would have to be the magners cider, (even if it is fizzy and clear)

large problem with stella and lager etc is the effect it has on ones libido- Minibus!

So…

When and where is this pissup going to be?

I had to miss the last ARRSE function, but I could easily travel over to the west country if it will be a good night!