Euro2012

His ego is massive but at the same time he’s supposedly a very nice person, not the most intelligent, but nice.

Some Polish media critics agree with you:

But many Polish football fans believe that Russia has the stronger side and that the media is wrong to raise hopes in vain or build nationalist tension before the match.

“The newspapers should not be stirring up emotions, because it is clear we will lose. They are doing a bad job,” 56-year-old chemistry researcher Marek Toczynski said.

CBSnews

Clashes between fans have started during a march by Russian fans towards the stadium.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2012/0612/1224317805116.html

Czech beaten Greeks, so the situation in the group gets complicated.
Unfortunately, Russian fans were attacked by polish club hooligans during their march to the stadium.
At least 3 people injured, police used firearms and water cannons.

Czechs v. Greeks - a messy bore, made worse by bad refereeing. Looking forward to better fare from Poland v. Chevan’s Champs - should be a bit more fire to it, anyway. I just hope they don’t actually refight one of the many ancient battles in Warsaw tonight … Best regards, JR.

Boenisch, Matuschyk and Polanski are sometimes called Germans who play for Poland. Over here some say Klose and Podolski are Poles to play for Germany.
That’s just our mutual intersection as neighbouring states. A good thing in my opinion.

Congrats to Polska!!
They have almost won the Russians.

Poles playing for Germany, Germans playing for Poland … this is unusual ? Are these not just examples of the “Granny Rule”, so familiar to us here in the Emerald Isle ? Perhaps the “football powers” are more sensitive on this point. By the way - congrats to Chevan’s Champs and the Polish Eagles on serving up a pretty good match last night. The result should suit both, as well. Having seen all participants in the Group at this stage, I would be confident of seeing both Russia and Poland in the knockout stages. Pity about the “scuffles”. I feel sorry for the vast majority of Polish and Russian fans who, clearly, only want to have a good time supporting their teams. Another point - was it warm in Warsaw last night ? All the Russian guys going bare chested (or should that be bear chested ?). Hope nobody caught a chill … JR.

The Greek team had two players that weren’t born in Greece, one was born in Australia and the other in Germany, the latter to a Greek father and South American mother. FIFA have some rules regarding players from one country playing for another and have special clauses or removed clauses for the UK and possibly Ireland given the Granny Rule.

Poland Russia was a good game, pity about the clashes before hand and at the end of the match the Russian sections were blocked off by riot police.
I think it was very hot there JR, towards the end of the match Arshavin fouled a Polish player because he was to tired to try and run after him, when the camera focused on him right afterwards the sweat was pouring off.

The national origin of players seems is no more importaint for national proud . We have the dutch Diick Advocaat as “Russian” team manager:) Nobody cries.

In my opinion it depends very much on the particular nation. Having players of foreign origin in the national team should be a minor problem in typical immigration countries like the USA, multi-ethnic states or former colonial powers like the UK and France.
In Germany, a country that does not particularly belong to one of the last-mentioned, a lot of people have problems with the fact that we got a playmaker with Turkish background as well as players with Polish, Tunisian, Spanish and Ghanaian background.

I know Advocaat from back in the days from the Dutch national league and I must admit he looks worrying!
Does the RFS provide him with an unlimited supply of Vodka?

LOL I was thinking the same thing…but he is 64 yrs. old…

He actually looks like an American football coach, Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots:

Dick-Advocaat-120608-Bench-R-300.jpg

By the other words - in germany for a lot of people the race DOES matter. Just like in old good times:)Though it might be the lesser evil compare to “utter multicultural” France…

I know Advocaat from back in the days from the Dutch national league and I must admit he looks worrying!
Does the RFS provide him with an unlimited supply of Vodka?

Sure.To provide him of whiskey or scotch would be quite unpatriotic in eyes of racial russian fans. How else to keep him under control? :wink:

Foreign managers differs to foreign players, we have an Italian manager but none of the Italian flare.

Sure, there’s a certain potential of racism in the German society - like in most other places. I don’ think these old times were that good actually.

Though it might be the lesser evil compare to “utter multicultural” France…:wink:

According to many folks we’re on the best way to a multicultural society. Our recently resigned Federal President, Christian Wulff, once said the Islam is a part of Germany. There were most controversial discussions about this statement.

Oh common. Everything would be OK if not that damned war. The GErmany rised up within short time like nobody else in history. But militarism\shauvenism was a bitch.

According to many folks we’re on the best way to a multicultural society. Our recently resigned Federal President, Christian Wulff, once said the Islam is a part of Germany. There were most controversial discussions about this statement.

You are still in most beginning of a way:) I read in Paris there are a entire districts where the whites are not recommend to appear in dark time.Just like in Harlem, NY.
Nickdfresh knows:)

Never been to Harlem actually. But then again, there are places inhabited mostly by “white” people that I wouldn’t venture after dark. I do believe that parts of Harlem are actually becoming home to the affluent again IIRC…

Can’t help but wonder if KLM delivered the correct jerseys but the incorrect team.

Yeah, there a lot of such places around. But you have to agree the ethnic crimes are especially horrifying .