Euro2012

1 Croatian also was arrested. They are being questioned today. CCTV is also being analized. That’s quite interesting what you say, as there’s no word about Polish fans in ski masks in Polish media :slight_smile: All info is very limited, they are different versions. Some witnesses say they had waited for the police to arrive for 30 minutes, police spokesman says they arrived immediately. Also a one restaurant owner said he informed police few times about a group of very aggressive Croatian fans who were spotted in the city center.
Could you provide a link?

Added: It seems more info can be found abroad than in Poland.
““It was mental, one minute we were drinking beer and having a really great time,” said Ireland fan John O’Rourke, 34. “The next we were running for our lives,” Local Michal Smyla was caught up in the violence when the table he was sitting at was suddenly surrounded. “I was with friends having a beer when some guy in a mask and a hood grabbed me by the neck and punched me,” he said. “And then all hell broke loose.” A press photographer at the scene reporting seeing several other people with bloody injuries. “One man seem to be unconscious and was being dragged into safety into the nearby pub the Piwo Napieciwko,” the photographer, who did not wish to be named, said. “Pub staff gave first aid to those that were bought inside. It seemed as if they were particularly targeting the foreign fans especially the Croatians.” He said that riot police arrived within 10 minutes, dispersing the crowd and extinguishing the blazes that started in litter bins from flares. Most of the alleged perpetrators had dispersed before police arrived.Witnesses posting on Twitter said the violence appeared to have been orchestrated by fans of local club Lech Poznan.Irish fan in Pozna Kevin Daly said it appared to have been a premeditated attack by Lech ultras on rivals attached to Dynamo Zagreb, with Irish fans caught in the middle.” Local police said that as a result of the incident they had made 14 arrests, and investigations were continuing. Those arrested included 10 Polish, three Irish fans and one Croatian. Poznan Mayor Ryszard Gorobelny today described the trouble as a minor incident, adding that some 47,000 supporters had attended the town’s fan zone yesterday with no arrests. Up to 30,000 Irish fans are believed to be in the town ahead of tonight’s opening group game against Croatia.
http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2012/0610/ireland/three-irish-arrested-after-trouble-flares-overnight-in-poznan-554816.html

A “minor incident”…
Not sure what has to happen before the authorities decide to seriously deal with these f**kers.

Today I heard on tv, that both police forces, Polish and Ukrainian, were instructed not to intervene as strong as they usually do, but they should focus on providing assistance to the fans and use force as a very, very last resort. I bet after Euro everything will be back to normal, they will be allowed to wave those batons again :slight_smile:
I heard a joke, that some new phrases were introduced for the police officers: excuse me, thank you, you welcome, can I help you, no problem :slight_smile:

So we’ve got first people banned from Euro games. Two Russian fans were arrested on Friday for violation of stadium regulations. They were kept in lock-up so they could sober up and today they faced the court. They also have to pay a penalty 500 euros each. Another 4 russian fans are awaiting the questioning as they were arrested after a fight in one of the restaurants in Wroclaw.
There were also unconfirmed reports of some fights between polish, russian and english fans, but no details so far.
On Wednesday night 10 polish fans (drunk teenagers?) were arrested in Warsaw.
The police describes all the incidents as minor, and the numbers of people involved as very low. They say it was expected for some incidents to happen and there’s nothing unusual going on.

Anyway, two games today.
Spain - Italy
Ireland - Croatia

I expect Spain to win 3:1, and Ireland to win 1:0

Sorry, I mashed up my last post some how.

Was meant to be:
That’s not correct, seems some confusion on why but two possible reasons are they were there to attack the Croatian and Irish fans or it was Polish fans in ski masks that started it because a rival domestic team had fans in the square.
10 Poles and 3 Irish were arrested.

Can’t find the article now but your link also says masked men, if I come across it again I’ll link you to it.

As far as football is concerned, pretty indifferent start (apart from Chevan’s Champs, that is - very impressive). As far as racial abuse and what used to be called in England “bovver” - could be the tournament of the century (actually, including the last century). On the racism and bovver fronts - I hope I am wrong. Yours from the Police Slit Trench, JR.

Brave fella… well, sort of… :slight_smile:

Brave man indeed :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder how many times Torres would need to place himself in front of the goal to score.
At least he hit something this time (italian player’s throat with an elbow) :slight_smile:
Apparently, Poznan stadium is not Shay Given’s favourite arena to play. Bad karma or something…

Given is less to blame then the crappy defense, who in their right mind prevents a corner by heading the ball back in to the box.
Few unfair calls, clear penalty disallowed but the announcer questioned if it was disallowed because Ireland kept playing when the Croatian player had gone down and stayed down, his reactions also pointed out to be suspect even though he did go off.

There was some git with a whistle near the camera setup that blew at times making it look like the ref stopped play.

I noticed, most annoying!

I’m not sure if I should post it here for fear of a backlash but there’s a clip of the English team arriving at their hotel, think it’s their hotel, but since the FA chose Poland for their base they ended up leaving their bus not to a loud cheering English fan base but a very loud Irish group.

I don’t condone it even though I did find it a little funny but then I support an English football team of which some Irish international players play and wish the England team all the best.

I saw the arrival on SkyNews, but they didn’t mention Irish presence. But polish TVN24 polish news channel spotted Irish fans making some noise outside the hotel. I find it rather funny. Just wonder how they ended up in Krakow. It’s quite far away from Poznan or Gdansk.
BTW, recently I was told city of Torun (my home town), which is in the middle of way between Poznan and Gdansk, was expecting around 2000 Irish fans to sleep there during the tournament. Tomorrow I’ll ask my bestmate how many Irish he met over the weekend :slight_smile:

No idea but they were the loudest among the crowd.

And my favourite:
this how relaxed is a man who’s just wasted the greatest opportunity of the game.

I could ask, why always him?:slight_smile:

Polish police is in possesion of full details (names, addresses, job titles and employers, etc.) of the last 6 Russian fans wanted in relation to violent incident that took place on Friday night at Wroclaw municipal stadium.
As those individuals are probably already outside UE, Russian police has been asked for assistance.

How is why? He is pursued black, don’t you see :wink:
OK, the jokes aside. Today evening the most importaint POLITICAL game of tournament . I would like to call, it Death-Match: Russia-Poland. An old “historical” mortal enemies that world ever see , today would have faced each other in a open field.The chances are equal- no heavy artillery, no air superiority ( just a little propogandic superiority of poles)!!But russians are no less motivated and determined for victory. They know if they LOSE - all team would have been executed by nkvd immediatelly… Well both of teams i guess…:slight_smile:

Nothing serious!!The life-vital and functional organs are not damaged:)

Yes, there’s so much build-up before this game. It reminds me the Euro96 semi-final England-Germany.
Few front pages from the polish press.

“Faith, hope, Smuda”

“Poland-Russia: The battle of Warsaw 2012”

The reference to 1920 Battle of Warsaw is clear.
Is all that necessary? I really doubt.
There are people in Poland who usually wouldn’t call Russians their friends, but when it comes to football and Euro, decided to shut up, as in their opinion it has nothing to do with sport. So I’m disappointed that the press couldn’t restrain themselves from pumping up the pressure. Everybody knows it takes only few idiots to provoke people and start a riot.
I hope it’s going to be a nice day, Russian fans marching to the stadium, no Polish club supporters provoking. Also, no Russian fans showing off, provoking the other side. All of them just enjoying the game.
There was enough trouble already and this time it would be great if no incidents happened.

About the score, for Poland winning tonight would be as equal as scoring 6 in Euromillions (and equally probable, I’m afraid) I would like Poles to play tonight with same passion and dedication as Ukrainians did last night.

My brother-in-law is on his way to the stadium just now. Lucky bastard…:slight_smile:

In Man City when he scored a goal, he used to pull his t-shirt up to show a sign “Why always me?”.
That guy’s ego is bigger than anything in the universe. But does it match his skills? Not sure about that.

Alas. The russian media reported that few of russians fans have been attacked and beaten by group of 20 local peoples in Warsaw right in a ther car. Police couldn’t cautch anybody.Car was damaged.

I like it:D
Why not?But people who support such a sort of political populism have to admit the possible negative consequences.

My brother-in-law is on his way to the stadium just now. Lucky bastard…:slight_smile:

Who know? The game could be a danger for nervouse if to take it seriously. I prefer to watch the game on TV- at least you have an ability to turn off the tv is anything will goes wrong:)