Falklands Conflict

I have heard somewhere that after the war the Galtieri government refused to take back the Argentine POWs from the bRitish, being afraid of thousands of angry young men with recent combat experience, who were very p*ssed off at their own government for sending them to a fruitless war. Is there any truth behind it?

Jan

I dont think so, first the pows where shipped straight from the falklands to the Argentina, second. Galtieri government was a militar one, so a bunch of conscript where no hazard to his power. Anywas, Galtieri was screw after losing the war, he was kicked out about a year later the surrender, and called for democratic elections.

http://www.iluminadosporelfuego.com/

Enlightened by Fire

An Argentinian Movie made by Tristán Bauer

Enlightened by Fire narrates the memories of a 40-year-old man, Esteban Leguizamon, who was sent to fight on Malvinas Islands in 1982 at the age of 18.

A friend’s attempted suicide triggers off the memories of the war times he shared with two young privates: Vargas, the suicide, and Juan, who was killed on the battlefield.

Thus, the horrors of war itself, together with the ailments of hunger and cold weather are interwoven with the stories of friendship and fellowship.

From Esteban’s point of view, the movie shows the slow and gradual immersion of their fragile lives into the heart of death itself.

Twenty years after the war, Esteban decides to return to the islands to come to terms with his past and heal old wounds.

The movie was filmed in the falklands,and in argentina.

Pictures of the film:

This film is from argentina,so,i don´t know if it is distributed in all the world,but,if you enter to the webpage

http://www.iluminadosporelfuego.com/

you will see some clips/trailers.

I read about this movie on the BBC web site back in April. From the preview clip it looks quite good and I’ll certainly keep an eye out for it. I’m always interested in looking at both sides of the story.

I read a book written from the Argentine perspective a few years back( can’t remember the title) and felt that the Argentine forces defending the mountains around Port Stanley were poorly treated by their own command, inadaquete rations and re-supply.

I remember at the time how the animosity towards the Argentine troops changed to sympathy following the surrender,when we saw that the majority of the Argentine soldiers where teenage conscripts.

Memorials to the dead are fine but care for those who live with the mental and physical scars has to be an equal consideration.

actually,a considerable number of our veterans have mental and psychological problems because of their experiences during the war.

our veterans are + or - 41 years old.

Do you think that the treatment of the returning servicemen has somthing to do with this.
In the UK many returning servicemen had short term problems but at least they had been cheered home. Returning units paraded through their garrison towns and individual soldiers had parties thrown for them.
I attended a street party for a returning school friend (3 para) that was mentioned on local radio and in the local paper. I’m pretty sure that the reception would have been the same had we lost.
I hope that Enlightend by Fire helps those Argentine veterans with enduring problems find a degree of aceptence for the sacrifice they made.
As I said in my previous post the rememberence of the dead should be equal to the support of survivors damaged by their experience.

I hope they release this with subtitles, I too heard about this on the BBC website. I also agree exactly with the sentiments above.

I believe that crappy morale in theatre has a part to play in the incidence of post-war psychological problems.
If one compares the two sides: The Argentinians theoretically had the tactical advantage, they were defending from dug-in positions, had the advantage of numbers and were technically better equiped. However as has been pointed out they were underfed, undertrained and underled meaning they did not know why and what they were doing with the result that morale must have been appalling. British troops on the other hand despite being outnumbered, lacking equipment and cold seem to have had much better morale - possibly because they were doing while the Argentinians were merely waiting - but mainly because they were trained and lead so that they knew what they were doing and were confident in their abilities. Of course they were also fed regularly which should never be underestimated :smiley: .
All this means is that when the two sides met one was already pretty miserable whereas the other was pretty fired up. Add to that the rumour mill and general ignorance in the Argentinian lines as can be seen by the demonisation of the Gurkhas and you have an army that was wide open to psychological problems.

If the Argentine accounts in Two sides of Hell (Vince Bramley?) are accurate, it’s no wonder they had problems. The behaviour of the officers and NCOs was appalling (ignoring the fact that the men were cold and literally starving, while eating special food and lurking in nice warm dugouts). Punishments for minor misdemeanours included for example being staked out to the ground overnight with no shelter - in the Falklands in autumn! Frankly, I really can’t see any army treated like that by it’s own officers fighting well, or the soldiers themselves dealing well with the aftermath when they get home. Their accounts of how they were treated by the British after the battle (far better than by their own officers) and the behaviour of the British officers were also very striking.

If you aren’t familiar with the book, it’s a collection of mini-autobiographies (focussing on the battle of London) of a selection of about 8 soldiers on both sides who had fought on Longdon. Not fantastic, but not bad either and chunks of it are very illuminating.

I have heard that the Argentine government refused to have the Argentinian POWs repatriated after the war. Apparently they were afraid that the very p*ssed off Argentinian soldiers with recent combat experience and being very angry about having been used as cannon fodder would overthrow the Galtieri government. Any truth in this?

Jan

Well the’re not still camped out round Stanley so the must have gone somewhere… :lol: I don’t think that the Galtieri regime was keen on getting them back but I don’t think we gave them much choice. Besides, Galtieri fell as a direct result of the war and the new gov’t wasn’t likely to be so worried.

Discotsu replied that in the falklands conflict topic

Erwin, have you seen this movie and if so how do you rate it. Can you give us some more details of the movie particularly the specific engagements portrayed.
How was the movie recieved in Argentina and what was the veterans reaction.

well,i don´t saw the film,a friend recommend me it.
sorry,i don´t know if the movie was good or bad received.

the people isn´t good with the veterans as they should be :frowning:

how is the situation of your veterans? (i hope it´s better than our veterans situation)

The general opinion these days of the Falklands war and it’s veterans is that it was in 1982 and we’ve had two more wars since.
At the time people where made aware that troops sent to the Falklands were not covered by any insurance so a charity called the Falklands fund was set up. Millions of pounds where recived in donations from the public and this money was used to take care of soldiers who were unable to continue to serve due to their injuries.
There is a veterans association set up by a veteran ( Denzil Corrick 3 Para) who lost both legs at Mt Longden ( try google on either the VA or his name.
The returning troops recieved a hero’s welcome but their reception would have been the same if we had lost. The British are used to being engaged in war so it does’nt matter if you win or lose as long as you gave it your best shot.

That is Ross road East and the Capstan gift shop in the background of the top picture, with the Town hall and bank beyond that. A girl called Claire Bolton lives in the house just out of shot to the left where those trees grow in her Front garden!

Ahhhh the memories!

When in Argentina I remember getting a lift off a man of about forty who told myself and the friend that I was travelling with that he had “once been to the Malvinas” the atmosphere could have been cut with a knife after that, until the man driving said, “Of course I didnt want to go and it was Galtieri’s fault we were there, Thankyou for helping us get rid of Galtieri” It still wasnt the most relaxed atmosphere but It was a revelation to see that for this veteran at least the War wasnt all about the defeat under the British. He identified more closely with the British soldiers and Inhabitants of the Islands than he did with his own government.

When in the Islands, I was lead to believe that Argentina had no plans to remove the troops but rather to leave them there, hence we ferried them to Rio Gallegos and forcibly returned them. Even though technically we were still at war, the Argentine not having surrendered at this point, or any point in fact.

Erwin, this film is distributed in Brazil???

Where???

Thanks.

I think yes,The movie was here in cinemas in 2002 + or -,and it winned 5 prizes,two of them in spain,so,it should be distributed in brasil.
I´m going to ask this by sending an email to the cine studio of the movie makers.

:smiley: you´re welcome bud