Fighters! If you can choose, which of these beauties you want to be in?

Monogram Close Up Technical Data of Ta 152 and Fock Wulf 190 by Jean yves Lorant et Jean Bernard Frappé Docavia edition Lariviére

Regards Fred

Then those books are in disagreement with official Focke-Wulf chart from here:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2511/3703893489_a11d7295a2_o.jpg

´Only´ 750km/h, providing GM-1 set works as advertised.

EDIT: I´ve just checked the Monogram volume you stated above - top speed figure is 752 km/h for Ta-152H-1

Thanks for your précision, and sorry for my memory.
friendly Fred

if i had a plane to fly in ww11 as a navy person i would have loved to fly the f4u corsair.

At the hands of capable pilots, the Zero was unlike any other fighter in the world. It may have many flaws, but it could out-maneuver every aircraft in the allies’ arsenal right up 'till the end of the war.

The Grumman F6F Hellcat had superior performance against the Zero, even if only marginal in certain circumstances.(Aviation History.com) There are other allied fighters that also outperformed the zero, which is to be expected considering the minimal development of the zero during the course of the war.
Do you have any sources to back up your idea?
The reason the A6M enjoyed such success is at least in part, due to the fact that it had been intended to attack an unprepared enemy. so defensive protection was not a requirement, allowing for the A6M to be faster, and more agile. This helped it in its hit ,and run attacks, and it was for a time able to hold its own against the allies. The allies however learned something from their experiences, and developed better aircraft capable of out performing the A6M. If the Japanese learned anything, they failed to take advantage of it, and reaped the whirlwind.

Yes but no. The P38J-25-LO and later variants had boosted ailerons and could actually turn with a A6M down to its stalling speed (but since it’s stalling speed was above a A6M that still was not a great idea.)

Read The Lockheed P-38 Lightning by Warren Bodie.

But even then, turning ability is not at all the most desired trait of a fighter. Speed is. Speed allows you to dictate the engagement. When it starts and when it ends. That is because it allows you to break off anytime you want and attack anytime you want. Speed and range are your two best attributes for a fighter.

Deaf

Nice topic, in fact all the fighters named have their advantages. but at this time i would chose the Nakajima Ki-84 - ic Hayate of the imperial japanese air force.

Why? Good engine… good power-> speed & climbing ratio.

Also verry good manouvrable and verry good armorment.

Badside… if it was hit… it was a sitting duck just as the Zero.

but you have all the things inside tho evede that event… and put great hits on the enemy.

Of course, it all depends on what type of action you would be going into. As for American aircraft it would be: Air to Air? The p-51 Mustang. Flying in the Pacific? The p-38 Lightning. Ground support? The P-47 Jug.

id be in the p38, i know they call it the widowmaker, but it was a great, sturdy fighting platform.

Hello everyone, Laconia P51, the P38, P47 and served in the Pacific, either as a hunter or as a ground attack aircraft, one who was most at ease in this role was the P47. For P38, it was decried as both criticized, do not forget it was the mount of the two greatest ace of the Pacific, and to answer you Jamestallakson, no hunter of the second world war is an easy plane, P51 had such a big default, the tank was behind the pilot, who has unbalanced the machine half full when some maneuvering, the P51 has killed as many student pilots, as the famous Messerschmidt 109. For KI84 Hayate, it was a dangerous opponent than the allies, combining speed and maneuverability, and a consequent weapons, but it was produced in small quantities, we must know that however, that Hayate was tested after the war by the Americans, who made ​​him full of good oil and good gasoline, which surprised those who tested it is that the engine had gained near 400CV, it says a lot about capabilities of the aircraft.
Friendly Fred

I’m sorry guys, but the Focke-Wulf rules! Very good maneuverability, outstanding speed, awsome armament, could be used as a fighter or even a dive bomber with excellency, and when it appeared in the war, unleashed hell to the english fighter pilots! Die besten!

I also chose Lockheed’s P-38. Consider these pluses that the Lightning had; it was (I believe) the only twin-engined fighter to have counter-rotating props, the gun package was sitting in the front (4-12.7mm Brownings, 1-20mm), both engines were supercharged, and most importantly, both the Germans and the Japanese had a VERY healthy respect for the aircraft. (Consider the fact that the Luftwaffe pilots called her “den gabelförmigen Schwanz-Teufel” (the forked-tail devil).)