Guide to Britain for the Americans

Ironman was talking about soldiers… how does beer associate with soldiers besides some like to drink?

This is the UK we’re talking about here - if you don’t understand the beer, you’re going to have serious problems understanding the country. It’s one of the few things that are very much unique to the UK.

Each quote is from a different post in this thread. The ones in bold are from IRONCHILD

Firefly wrote:
I have a modern day guide (well late 80’s) for US Air Force personnel stationed in the UK tucked away somewhere.

It is exceedingly similar to that one.

The warm beer reference has surely died now? Ive never had a warm beer from a pub in my life! Or was it just a myth?

I think that what yanks mean by “warm” we would consider cellar temperature. According to my local landlord chilling beer is an easy way of disguising lack of flavour in mass produced lager.

Id definately go along with the above, slightly chilled Brit Beer would seem strange to the neer frozen pishy lagers sold in N America. Has anyone tried that awesome Lager - Canadian?

Firefly wrote:
Id definately go along with the above, slightly chilled Brit Beer would seem strange to the neer frozen pishy lagers sold in N America. Has anyone tried that awesome Lager - Canadian?

It’s all about Guinness.

Yep, the coolness of the cellar is all that is needed for properly made beer.

Although Carling is jumping on the freeze the “rocks off it” bandwagon.

Guiness however should only be drunk in dublin and the republic, from the pump.

Everywhere else from the bottle.

Otherwise it is not Guiness. They boil it down to treacle and add water the water from wherever they remake it in your country. Thus it is not proper Guiness.

Even in NI you have to be wary of what you are getting.

The bottles though always come from the republic.

1000ydstare wrote:
Yep, the coolness of the cellar is all that is needed for properly made beer.

Although Carling is jumping on the freeze the “rocks off it” bandwagon.

Guiness however should only be drunk in dublin and the republic, from the pump.

Everywhere else from the bottle.

Otherwise it is not Guiness. They boil it down to treacle and add water the water from wherever they remake it in your country. Thus it is not proper Guiness.

Even in NI you have to be wary of what you are getting.

The bottles though always come from the republic.

Have you had Bruneiian ir Nigerian Guinness inflicted on you ? They’re both bottled.

In the words of Dr ‘Bones’ McCoy, “It’s Guinness Jim, but not as we know it.”

I only drank the local stuff in Brunei, it was cold!!!

Thought the bottled guiness always came from Eire.

All Guiness in Britain is now brewed and packaged in Ireland since they closed the London brewery (something-or-other Park IIRC).

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:35 pm Post subject:

All the kegs we’ve gotten came from Ireland. Including the current.

[[b]quote]I’ve tasted beers from many countries, and I find the better US and Canadian beers to be the best flavoured.

Americans just like all drinks to be cold, beer included. Here, we like food to be heavy-handed on flavor, but not beer. To Americans, it makes no sence to drink wine, Coke, or lemonaid cool but beer warm. By that thinking, you could say some Europeans like to “disguise” the taste of their lemonaid or soft drinks. [/quote][/b]

Have you ever had a Beer in the UK?

Even just for the lagers (I’m not much of a bitter man, although I do like a real ale), European beer is far superior to US beer. You cannot compare Budweiser, Rolling Rock or Coors to Stella Artois, or the German and Czech lagers.

Of course, the NA nations usually use Beer to mean Lager. Two very diffrent things actually.

Beer in the UK has never ever been served warm. Merely chiled, as opposed to so frozen you cant taste it.

So true…

I’m getting bored now, so I’ll just post beer related stuff from IRONCHILD now[b]

I have drunk UK beers imported to the US.[/b]

[b]

Budweiser? Good Lordy no! You silly Euros. lol You think Americans think Budweiser and Coors is the best American beer. He he.

No, those are the “general masses” beers that the untrained palletes patronize. Far better beers come from America. Beer has evolved.[/b]

Bluffcove wrote:
and what is the point of asking for a pint of beer if you have to drink it before it becomes putrid having risen in temperature.

Exactly.

[b]Yea, but we Americans don’t order it by the pint. We drink it in a glass od 10 or 12 ounces, or from a bottle, or from… EGAD!.. a can?

I can understand that. We Americans just don’t understand how British can stand the taste of warm dark beer. To each his own.

[/b]

[[b]quote]Yea. The US military is fed on Big macs. Uh huh.

As for American troops going to pubs, it’s not like they had a choice of what the temp of the beer would be. I assure you, they qwould prefer a cold Michelob to alchohol in a barley-boulion rue. Take it from an American. [/b]
[/quote]

And that is why nobody drinks it warm… because all beer tastes like crap warm, except to the British.

Sure I have. I have drunk countless types of beer form numerous countries. I’ve probably tasted 10 beers from Britain alone. But I, like most of the prople of the world, think warm and/or dark beer tastes like a rotten loaf of burnt bread soaked in water for a week.

Bluffcove wrote:
Except our drinks arent meant to be drunk at brass monkey temperature!
hence htey taste good at cellar temperature!

You have never drunk draught ale! What the FUCK would you know!

Sure I have.

Yes, Americans like modern, chilled beer. Not the slag that the Norse drank in mead halls in the 5th century. I find that “Guide” rather funny actually.

The Michelob faught the largest percentage of the battle, while the British slag-brew provided support form the rear. it was the fierces battle between meads in the history of modern brewing!

Bluffcove wrote:
Ever drunk NOOKIE BROON?

tell me what it is then? and it wont appear on Google! so good luck!

No, thank God.

[[b]quote]Now, a nice cold Michelob or Samuel Adams and a bowl of peanuts after a hard day’s work…

Simply beautiful!

I wonder if a guide to America ever existed for foreign troops. Doubtful since not many of them come over here. We haven’t found the need I suppose.[/b]
[/quote]

Yea, Americans like beer almost as much as the British! However, alcoholism is rampant in Britain. It’s not over here.

Well over half the posts in this topic are about beer. Some of the remainder are about food. A few are gratuitous insults from IRONCHILD and his general whining about US bashing (of which there seems to be none).

QED

The topic, as given in the title of the thread, is a guide to Britain for Americans. Attitudes to alcohol and the nature of alcoholic beverages are very different in the UK compared to the USA. We have now drifted from WW2, so maybe this should be moved to Off-Topic.

Your intention is an order for me, Crab!!! :smiley:

Edited: Topic moved :arrow:

I see nothing has changed, go away for 2 months and come back to find Ironman is still a c*nt.

Yeah :lol:

I havent seen a recent post from him for a while actually.