Gurkhas

Interestingly, my understanding is that the British Foreign Office have always formally requested permission to deploy Gurkha troops from the King of Nepal prior to engagement. This tradition dates back at least as far as WWI. At the start of WWII, the King of Nepal said:

“Of course you may have our men, what are friends for? If you win, we will win with you, if you lose we will die with you.”

Click … and the topic is locked. Talk to ya about in Locked topics.

Topic reopened … keep it clean. Make sure you read my comment in locked topics. :smiley: :evil:

The Gurkhas are exclusively from Nepal, an independent kingdom, no Indians are entered into the British Gurkha Regiments.
Physically, they tend to be stockily built, probably averaging around 5’ 6" or so in height, broad shouldered, deep chested, and frequently (since they are hillmen) with extremely powerful legs.

One of their training programmes in Hong kong developed into what is now the famous Trailwalker race; a non-stop cross-country course for four-man teams, over the 100Km, McLehose Trail, over the thirty or so mountain peaks in the Territory.
All team members have to cross the finish line before the time counts, so each team’s time is determined by their “weakest” man.
Started in 1970 and opened to the general public in 1980, it was very seldom, prior to the handback to China, that a Ghurka team didn’t finish first. Their record from 1993 still stands, I believe, at 13 hours 18minutes.

The Infantry regiments have a mix of British and Gurkha officers, with the C.O. always a British officer, and his 2iC a Gurkha officer.
As has been said elsewhere, they are recruited from about six tribes, Rai, Darang, Limbu etc, and you will see those names feature again and again, as a Gurkha will use his tribe as his last name, eg Rambahadur Limbu V.C.

The image of the kukri posted by General Sandworm is unusual, in that the blade appears to be pierced near the hilt; this would usually be a notch (the “kaura”) on the edge of the blade, which could be used to catch an opponents blade, but which is primarily of religious significance. It is a Hindu phallic symbol.
The kukri, in battle, is used with a slicing or slashing motion, not a chopping one. This action, together with the weight-forward design of the blade gives it great power.
Some experts now believe that the design originated in the swords (machaira) of Alexander the Great’s horsemen.
The two small blades carried in the sheath are a steel for sharpening the kukri, and a skinning knife for game.
The idea that a Ghurka has to draw blood every time he unsheathes the Kukri is nonsensical: he’d die of loss of blood before he reached adulthood, since typically a Nepali boy receives his first kukri at about age 5, and it is the all-purpose utility tool of Nepal, used for chopping wood, opening cans etc etc.
As used by the Gurkha soldiers, it fulfils the same function as the K-Bar or combat knife of the American marine: a close-quarter weapon used in hand-to-hand fighting, or to make a silent attack at night.

In WW2 they fought with great distinction at Monte Cassino, as well as throughout Italy and Africa, winning three Victoria Crosses.
In Burma, against the Japanese, where thick jungle made close-quarter fighting much more common than had been the case during most European battles, the Gurkhas won a further seven VCs, a truly remarkable achievement.

One last point.
It has been stated elsewhere, and I won’t mention by whom :wink: , that the Gurkhas are mercenaries.

According to Article 47 of Protocol I to the Geneva Conventions, a mercenary is defined as any person who:

"Is specially recruited locally or abroad in order to fight in an armed conflict;

Does, in fact, take a direct part in the hostilities;

Is motivated to take part in the hostilities essentially by the desire for private gain and, in fact, is promised, by or on behalf of a Party to the conflict, material compensation substantially in excess of that promised or paid to combatants of similar ranks and functions in the armed forces of that Party.

Is neither a national of a Party to the conflict nor a resident of territory controlled by a Party to the conflict;

Is not a member of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict; and

Has not been sent by a State which is not a Party to the conflict on official duty as a member of its armed forces."

Points 3 and 5 are the important ones. RGR are part of the armed forces of the Crown and are only paid as such. End of debate - they are not mercenaries. :smiley:

The myth about having to draw blood after unsheathing a kukri is just that - a myth. In Nepal it’s their utility knife, used for everything from cutting wood to preparing food.

All the gurkhas I’ve met have been top blokes - one (a Cpl) even insisted on filling my magazine whilst I was fiddling around with my SUSAT on a the zeroing range of a divisional TASAM competition (I was an OCdt and felt embarrassed by this!). I did have difficulty explaining to one of the 1st aid gurkhas that’s I’d got nipple rub on the Para Cup stage & needed a plaster, since his english was not that good.

GANJU LAMA, who has died aged 75, was awarded a Victoria Cross in Burma for his action on June 12 1944 when B Company, 7th Gurkha Rifles, were checking a Japanese attack, supported by tanks, in the Imphal and Kohima area.

Although the Japanese had failed in their attempt to break through the British lines and move on into India, they still had the resources to mount fierce attacks. On June 12 they had put down an intense artillery barrage on the Gurkha-held position north of the village of Ningthoukhong, knocking out several bunkers and causing heavy casualties.

They followed this up with an exceptionally strong attack. After ferocious hand-to-hand fighting, and supported by three medium tanks, they broke through the line in one place, pinning opposing British troops to the ground with intense fire. B Company, 7th Gurkha Rifles, was ordered to counter-attack and restore the situation. Shortly after passing the starting line, the company came under heavy enemy medium machine-gun and tank machine-gun fire at point-blank range, which covered all lines of approach.

Rifleman Ganju Lama, the No 1 of the PIAT (Projector Infantry Anti-Tank) - which launched a 3 lb grenade on his initiative - crawled forward through thick mud, bleeding profusely, and engaged the tanks single-handedly.

In spite of a broken left wrist and two other wounds, one in his right hand and one in his leg, caused by withering cross-fire concentrated on him, he succeeded in bringing his gun into action within 30 yards of the enemy tanks. He knocked out first one, and then another, the third tank being destroyed by an anti-tank gun.

Despite his serious wounds, he then moved forwards and engaged with grenades the tank crews who were now attempting to escape. Not until he had killed or wounded them all, thus enabling his company to push forward, did he allow himself to be taken back to the Regimental Aid Post to have his wounds dressed.

“Throughout the action,” his citation attested, “Rifleman Ganju Lama, although seriously wounded, showed a complete disregard for his own personal safety and it was solely due to his prompt action and brave conduct that a most critical situation was averted, all positions regained, and heavy casualties inflicted on the enemy.” After this exploit, having been taken by stretcher to the Regimental Aid Post, Ganju Lama was evacuated to a Base Hospital.

His VC - the award of which requires three independent witnesses and the risk of death to be 90 to 100 per cent - was eventually presented to him in Delhi by the Viceroy, Field Marshal Lord Wavell, in the presence of Admiral Lord Louis Mountbatten, General Slim, and members of his own family.

A month earlier, Ganju Lama had been awarded the Military Medal. During operations on the Tiddim Road, his regiment surprised a party of Japanese and killed several of them. Ganju Lama was awarded the MM for destroying two tanks in the action.

After Indian Independence in 1947, Ganju Lama joined the 11th Gorkha (as it is spelt in the Indian army) Rifles, a regiment formed from Gurkhas of the 7th and 10th Gurkha Rifles who had decided to continue their services in India instead of joining the British Army.

Later, he was promoted Subedar Major (Chief Indian Officer in a company of Sepoys) and in 1965 was appointed ADC to the President of India. The year before, a large boil had developed on his leg; when it burst, a Japanese bullet came out.

In retirement, Ganju Lama returned to his people and was appointed honorary ADC to the President of India for life. He had been granted the honorary rank of Captain in 1968 while still serving.

Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2000.

Of the Many VC’s won by Gurkhas through the years. I find this one to be the most impressive, This is the Internet account of the action, However in a book entitled “True Courage” (I think) there is a more detailed account;

On arriving back at his Section and under questioning by his superior officer as to why he had gone to such risks as to crawl within thirty yards of the enemy tank rather than engage it from cover, Lama replied,

“I have practiced on the range with the PIAT, and I know I cannot be sure of hitting a target unless I am within 30 yards”

Being aware of your limitations is one thing - but to compensate for them in such a way is surely Valour!

RIFLEMAN LACHHIMAN GURUNG, VC

"At Taungdaw, in Burma, on the west bank of the irrawaddy, on the night of 12/13th may, 1945, Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung was manning the most forward post of his platoon. At 01.20hours, at least 200enemy assaulted his company position. The brunt of the attack was borne by rifleman Lachhiman Gurung’s section and by his own post in particular. This post dominated a jungle path leading up into his platoon locality.

Before assaulting, the enemy hurled innumerable grenades at the position from close range. One grenade fell on the lip of Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung’s trench; he at once grasped it and hurled it back at the enemy. Almost immediately another grenade fell directly inside the trench. Again this rifleman snatched it up and threw it back. A third grenade then fell just in front of the trench. He attempted to throw it back, but it exploded in his hand, blowing off his fingers, shattering his right arm and severely wounding him in the face, body and right leg. His two comrades were also badly wounded and lay helpless in the bottom of the trench.

The enemy, screaming and shouting, now formed up shoulder to shoulder and attempted to rush the position by sheer weight of numbers. rifleman Lachhiman Gurung, regardless of his wounds, fired and loaded his rifle with his left hand, maintaining a continuous and steady rate of fire. Wave after wave of fanatical attacks with heavy casualties.

For four hours after being severely wounded Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung remained alone at his post, waiting with perfect calm for each attack, which he met with fire at point-blank flange from his rifle, determined not to give one inch of ground.

Of the 87 enemy dead counted in the immediate vicinity of the company locality,31 lay in front of this rifleman’s section, the key to the whole position. Had the enemy succeeded in over-running and occupying Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung’s trench, the whole of the reverse his comrades to resist the enemy to the last, that, although surrounded and cut off for three days and two nights, they held and smashed every attack.

His outstanding gallantry and extreme devotion to duty in the face of almost overwhelming odds, were the main factors in the defect of the enemy".

Citation taken from the London Gazette

In a top trumps stylee, I think your VC beats my VC, but Id be in awe of either!

For anyone interested in what the British Military believes to be “for Valour” use this link.
www.victoriacross.net/default.asp

all 1355 VC’s ever awarded are listed here by name, date and conflict.

:shock:

Brave man though… How many VCs have been won overall by Gurkhas?

according to Victoriacross.net

11 Nepalese Soldiers have earnt the VC, between the dates of 1915 and 1965 - However due to the search criteria on vicotriacross.net some are missing, quite a few in fact!

This does not include British officers fighting alongside Gurkhas in various conflicts.
Until 1911, Only British officers could collect the VC.

By my count 26, I can type them all in if you want but it is from a regimental history not a copy and paste from Google so it may take some time!

As has been posted previously, Gurkhas have won a total of 26 VCs, of which 13 were won by native Nepalese and 13 by British Officers of the Regiments.

Now see…we have a good thread going here now. Some really interesting info. Not pages loaded of pure crap. Thanks to all for your recent work. :smiley:

I have had 1st hand experience of these men. They are not mercinaries. They are nice polite hardworking guys who take their job seriously and I am proud to know at least one of them as a friend.

Do they actually use the knife (aka whatever) much or is it more of a display item. Guess what im getting at is what kind of training do they recieve on it? Maybe im wrong but I dont see Gurkha’s as a real special forces unit such as US Navy Seals or British SAS. So the knife wouldnt seem as important. ??? Just curious.

Well I do not know much about the Gurkhas, and their knives, but they werent a special forces unit. They were advanced infantry, i think. :?:

The Kukhri is a back up weapon should they need one (much like any knife any soldier carries), but it is more ceremonial now than weapon. Really, if you end up fighting with a knife then you’ve really fucked up somewhere.

It is still important to the Gurkhas, they get given a silver one presented to them when they finish their training - it’s like any other Regimental icon (and remember how much more important the Regiment is to British soldiers than to most foreign soldiers).

The Gurkhas are not special forces in the same definition as SAS, Spetznatz or SEALS, they are just very very good infantry (and Signals, Engineers, Logisticians etc).

To be honest, no real training by the Army is neccesary.
Remember, this is an everyday item which they have used since they were maybe 5 years old.
It’s use as a weapon is passed on from the old and bold to the new recruits.

When I visited them at Church Crookham in 72 they used them to cut the grass. They also had chillies on the bar in place of nuts to nibble on, and yes, one of our number thought he could also eat chilli :smiley: . I think they have drills the same as bayonet practice.

They are bog standard infantry in a light role, no better no worse. They have the same training and equipment and attend the same courses. The media like to present them as special because they are different/unique. A lot of the pictures in the early post are of Indian army Gurkhas. The Gurkhas have belonged to the Indian army and only joined the British army on India’s independence. And before any wish to quarry this the Indian army was formed out of the East India Company forces under British control after the mutiny. The Indian army has always had close link with the British and cross postings was very common. Slim was an Indian army officer (Gurkha) and attended staff college in India as well as Camberley. British regiment were also posted to India for long periods (25 years).

From Wilkipedia:
Tulbahadur Pun
[i]He was 21 years old, and a Rifleman in the 3rd Bn., 6th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army during the Second World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

On 23 June 1944 at Mogaung, Burma (now Myanmar), during an attack on the railway bridge, a section of one of the platoons was wiped out with the exception of Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun, his section commander and one other. The section commander immediately led a charge on the enemy position but was at once badly wounded, as was the third man. Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun, with a Bren gun continued the charge alone in the face of shattering fire and reaching the position, killed three of the occupants and put five more to flight, capturing two light machine-guns and much ammunition. He then gave accurate supporting fire, enabling the rest of his platoon to reach their objective.[/i]

However, the feat I wanted to direct attention to:
“Many years later, on 10 December 1980, Tulbahadur visited the British Gurkha Centre at Pokhara to meet the Prince of Wales. It had taken him some twelve days to make a journey which normally took him four days; he had recently been knocked off a cliff by a boulder and had been unconscious for two days. On regaining consciousness he started coughing blood but he gradually got better. At Pokhara, after meeting Prince Charles, he was advised to go to hospital where an examination showed that the old man had broken one shoulder and smashed six ribs.
The doctors were amazed when they heard that he had been walking over mountain tracks for twelve days with such injuries.
Tulbahadur had not lost the qualities that had won him a VC over thirty-six years before”
Quoted from “Johnny Gurkha ‘Friends in the Hills’” by E.D.“Birdie” Smith, 7th Gurkha Rifles.