HBO The Pacific Trailer Released

For some reason, i really feel for Sid when i imagine him losing Sledge back in 2001. He must be devastated.

I’ve seen a few more episodes since my last post and it doesn’t change my opinion, and I’ve been hoping they would.

It’s a bit better, but still fails to deliver much more than endless battle scenes which are a tribute to special effects with occasional attempts to develop a bit of characterisation and character development.

Maybe she wrote a detailed autobiography later, but in the 1940s I don’t imagine that Mrs Basilone gave the world step by step intitmate details of their first root on their honeymoon as shown in the series.

That element, like other aspects of the series, just looks like more Hollywood invention for cinematic effect (a true story based on fact - Yeah! Right!) to me.

I hope they made a series from the German point of view, or Japanese.

I’d really like to see one from the Japanese point of view.

It might reveal as much about current Japanese perspectives on the war as the Hollywood version does about American perspectives, depending upon whether it is funded by the right or the left in Japan.

What I’d really like to see is a film by anyone which attempts to put the war into its wider perspective of the causes and events which led to it, which go rather further back than the occasional simplistic refererences to the Japanese diplomats in America failing to announce the war in time for America to do something with notice (probably about the same as it did) at Pearl Harbor.

Because in large part the war with Japan was a war with its roots in conflicts between Western imperial / colonial exploitation of China and Japanese imperial / colonial exploitation of China, in which the West does not come out as all that noble.

But that’s too complicated to put into film, at least for producers/directors who use pyrotechnics for effect and don’t think much above that pedestrian level, so it’s easier to make splatter movies / TV series which reduce everything to the personal level of the individual participant rather than the wider issues which got the poor bastards there.

did you watch this movie?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUl1mAjTTb0

As for the reasons that Japan started the war (at least from what i heard from Discovery channel) is that the Americans refuse to sell oils to the Japanese so they have to choose between starting a short war with the Americans or thrown in the white towel and retreat from China. Another reason is the pressure from the government itself, there were numerous murder on those who opposed the war.

IIRC

No.

But I’m going to now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prd4-azzoQg

Those were the last events which precipitated the war, but the history goes back several decades at least and very much involves Western and Japanese competition for supremacy in exploiting China’s riches.

Hi.

Here in Germany the first part was shown yesterday evening. The rest will follow weekly if they don´t remove it due to too few watchers…

Yours

tom!:wink:

Thanks for the link. Gonna watch otoko tachi no yamato!
Enjoy BoB, tom! I haven’t seen it…been too busy.

Aaarggghhh! Forgot about that…:frowning:

Play.com has the Blu-ray listed for €50.49 and released on 01/11/2010, probably earlier in the US.

wow, almost 100 bucks.