invade Russia at the end of ww2?

It is a “public” university therefore I get my tuition fees paid, its part of the wonderful set up in my country whereby education isnt only limited to the affluent!

and I agree China is a trading partner. Russian isnt. This is a discussion as to whether America held animosity toward Russia at the close of play in 1945. Not beign a trading partner severely limited the scope for “special relationships”

Get a refund from the school kiddo. The US considers China a friendly nation. Come over here and see for yourslef. :lol:[/quote]

Is that why it feels the need to help protect Taiwan’s security from their best buds the Chinese? Or why they don’t want Europe selling arms to China?

You’re lost if you think China is not considered friendly by the US, and Britain too! The only nation in the world that the US does not consider friendly right now is North Korea. Just the one country.

Let’s get back on track you ole’ baterers. It was 1948, at least, before the US considered the USSR to be an enemy. The trasnition from friendly to enemy did not occur overnight, and it did not exist at the end of WWII,

and for God’s sake, the idea of the US going to war against the USSR right at the end of WWII to prevent them from comandeering Eastern Europe is bombastically dufus.

If China is so friendly to the US, rather than just someone they can do business with, why then is the US in the position of having to offer to proect Taiwan from China? Why then is does it so dislike Europe lifting it’s arms embargo against China?

It was 1948 that we had the berlin Airlift.
u[/u]
The Airlift was set up because in 1947 after a review all teh bridges between hte frontier of soviet control and Berlin became “too weak” to allow Western trucks carrying food drive to the capital.

Berlin was divided because the introduction of the Deutschmark was led by the US and the Uk and Russia was not invited, consequently to balance the economies of the Riechsmark and the Deutshcmark, and with a slight air of toys from the pram and a sulk, the USSR closed the border.

The Russians stopped at their line of advance and set down their borders! Churchill was keen to ask them to move back to lines agreed at Yalta, but it was decided that after the USSR had come so far to ask US troops to advance further from they had already got was unnecessary as their was no enemy in place.

Just one country? - not really an Axis of evil then? more just an Ax-
Guess you forgot Cuba, Syria, Lybia, Iran… … … … … … …

But then…

The first heightening of Cold War tensions occurred in 1948 when the Soviets imposed a partial blockade of Berlin in April, and then a full blockade in June. Understanding the events that led to the imposition of the blockades is the key to understanding the later division of Berlin in 1961 by the Berlin Wall, and the division of the German state that had occurred earlier in 1949 when separate west German (Federal Republic of Germany) and east German (German Democratic Republic) states were established.”

http://www.coldwar.org/articles/40s/berlin_blockade.php3

So, 1948-49 was the beginning of the period by which the US considered the USSR to be an enemy.

Less than a year after cessation of hostilities talks broke down! read the Yalta analysis from wherever you choose and you can see that soviet and western leaders were at loggerheads! especially regarding potsdam and reperations!

The separation of Berlin began in 1945 after the collapse of Germany. The country was divided into four zones, where each superpower controlled a zone. In 1946, reparation agreements broke down between the Soviet and Western zones. Response of the West was to merge French, British, and American zones in 1947.

• the first heightening of tension.
    In a football match you cannot claim the game hadnt begun until “the first heightening of tension”
    the boundaries were set during hte Yalta conference.

inceidentally Im interested by the fact your source also contains links to the roswell incident!
http://www.coldwar.org/articles/40s/links.php3 - halfway down!

According to The Cold War Meuseum, 1948 was the begining of the end of friendship between the US and the USSR. They know more about it than you. :wink:

Then I disagree with your source. Churchill and Roosevelt also disagree, read the Yalta talks especisally those parts pertaining to reperations. Its a first hand source! it is the document htat sealed hte fate of most of Eastern Europe. It is not especially genreous in its appraisla of theSoviet union.

There was distrust and reason enough to go to Russia, it is just that there was not the will to.

I have reason enough to walk down the road and nobble the bloke thats out early from HMP after knocking down a girl on his motorbike whilst pissed the other year, its just that Im too lethargic to do it and would end up in more trouble by doing so.

America had reason to go to Russia, but chose not to because it would have unleashed a whole shower of excrement. Not going into Russia was not because htey were allies it was because it would have been troublesome in the post war years.

Bluffcoave, you dissagree with every source, as long as it does not support your opinion. You’ve even argued with the statements of the Encyclopedia Britainica about something I posted, simply because you had already posted something contrary to their expert information :lol:

Its true you are objectionable! :lol:

havey ou found Yalta on Google yet? and the Potsdam agreement, or do you refuse to even search for it in case it disagrees with your quickfire reponse from earlier.

Yalta came before 1948. :shock:

Feb 1945. 8)

ironman you are wrong…the first public acts of hostility towards the US committed by the USSR occurred in 1948. But, the US knew that those public acts of hostility were coming. They KNEW that it was just a matter of time until the USSR showed that they were enemies to the US.

Funny thing is that I grew up in Berlin and never noticed the Soviets occupying more than East Berlin, which, according to Yalta was their sector anyway. They TRIED to push the western Allies out with the blockade of West Berlin in 1948-49, but didn’t succeed.
What they tried several times though, was to disconnect East Berlin from the Allied status, first by handing it over to the East German government as their capital, then by having East German police insist that they could control Western Allied military and political representants at the Berlin Wall check points. This led to a show down with American and Soviet tanks facing each other at check point Charly.
Later there were attempts by the East German government to take over air traffic control over West Berlin, but the Western Allies told them to F+ck off and the attempt was not repeated.

Also, in the early 1950s, Honnecker, in his at this time role as the leader of the communist youth organisation FDJ, tried, with Ulbricht’s support, to have hundred thousands of East German communist teenagers to march into West Berlin to claim it for the East Germans, but the march got literally beaten back (with baton charges) by West Berlin police under Western Allied command. Honnecker and Ulbricht, who apparently pulled this stunt without asking Stalin, who was at this time in talks with the Americans (I think over Korea), were summoned to Moscow, where they had to undergo an interview without drinks being served.

Jan

Edit: Cleaned up typos

Not at all. The US did not consider the USSR to be it’s enemy until at least 1948.

Not at all. The US did not consider the USSR to be it’s enemy until at least 1948.[/quote]

please post your source for this, I for one am willing to admit that jan is wrong as long as I have some facts.

Not at all. The US did not consider the USSR to be it’s enemy until at least 1948.[/quote]

please post your source for this, I for one am willing to admit that jan is wrong as long as I have some facts.[/quote]

I already have, three times.

EDITED TO ADD “three times”

Where is it mate? I need to read t before I apologise to you. And I will. If it exists.