Karabiner K-98.

err, the heat haze is so severe that you can neither see your foresight properly, nor see what you are shooting at. And it happens with a frighteningly small number of rounds.

My great uncle used his m-1 grand for hunting game after the war…
He would file down the bullet and flatten it and took some of the powder out of the bullets to lessen the kick.

He won a medal of honor on iwo jima as a medic in the marines and made a knife out of a Japanese bayonet. The knife was returned to him 60 years after the battle by another solider who happened to pick it up off the island. (note the blade was still sharp after all that time.)

i like the k98 night fighting set up as much as i like the m-1 grand night fighting set up.

The accuracy and power is great!

it was used in ww1

Chuck,

Wrong on both counts: the accuracy is rather poor, even in the sniper versions, it is overpowered (which it has in common with most of its contemporaries), and it was not used in World War I, the Gew 98 and Kar98a were.

No. 32 - what’s that for a gun? Looks like a kar98k in the back, but it is a russia gun - thanks for clearing this up! :slight_smile: (why is the scope attached in such a strange way?)

I dont know precisely but I think this must be some kind of post war variant.

If the M1 Garand was the standard service rifle in 1936 and the SVT-38 didn’t begin production until 1939 how were the Soviets mass producing a semi-auto before the American army was? Also up to the end of 1942 there were over 2.3 million M1 Garands produced as to 1.6 million SVT-40 and 150,000 SVT-38s (production of SVT-38 ended April of 1940.

I think the scope was put like that for easy reload but am not for sure, the design was defenialy a russian design by my point of view

A nice video showing the different stages of manufacture the K98, stock making, barrel rifling, alignment of the sights, etc.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=3ufjbv3H3QI

Very nifty footage. The Barrel straightening was interesting to see as well, I know its used more in the modern swaged forming of barrels where the rifling is impressed by means of a mandrel inserted into the tube, and then the tube is swaged down upon it. very cool.

Nice. :smiley:

Sure is.

Very nifty footage. The Barrel straightening was interesting to see as well, I know its used more in the modern swaged forming of barrels where the rifling is impressed by means of a mandrel inserted into the tube, and then the tube is swaged down upon it. very cool.

Thas is cold hammering , the K-98 used the invididual rifling cut. Is worth to note that not all share the poor opinion about the K98 that somebody have in here.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=rG6OeVnoQrc

I do agree my friend, cut rifling is preferred, but is not as cheaply or quickly accomplished as the cold formed rifling. I have always enjoyed using the 98, and when in the business, could never find enough to meet the demands of the market. They were (and are) a popular rifle.

K-98K with ZF 41 scope.

The ZF 41 components.

In the field, the magnification was merely 1,5x and it had a very long eye relief.

Just wondering, does anyone know if that was the scope the German sniper in Saving Private Ryan was using on his Kar98k?

I think it was a 6x Hensoldt, just a guessing, could be any other.

By the way this is the ZF 39 4x…it looks very much alike.

Panzerkacker:

The second photo you posted was not used on the Mauser K98, it was used on the Gewehr 43.

-Wolf

Yes, and is not a ZF 41 Thanks for the correction.

Carcano 91/38 TS-S in Cal. 7,92x57 Mauser

An interesting complement of the K98, the italian army rifle rechambered to accept the larger 8x57mm cartrigde.

( edited, links dont work anymore)