Monument Weapons

Panther from the 116. Pz Division in the town of Houffalize near Bastogne.

…and the La Gleize/Belgian Ardennes Tiger II of “Kampfgruppe Peiper”, once again but painted:

http://www.white-star.nl/ardennes.htm

Some Soviet monuments on former GDR soil (yes, these are still there):

T-34/76 at Berlin-Tiergarten

T-34/85 at Berlin-Karlshorst

and from Bashtanka/Ukraine: “Katyusha” with strange (?) painting and unknown hippie:

http://www.sozialistische-gedenkstaetten.de/start.shtml

few more

Web larryt1.jpg

Web gemgun.jpg

Web gun vette.jpg

Great pics!

As far as the tanks, especially the German ones, I’d like to know if anyone can tell me if they are “gutted” or still have internal components such as engines inside their blocks?

The static displays around here are in front of veterans organizations such as the VFW and American Legion with something of an “arms race” of who has the coolest, most extensive displays developing. There’s a nearby former “Nike Base” that’s now a town recreational facility with a VFW Hall across the street. For many years, they had a sole 8" howitzer out front. Now they have an AH-1S Apache, M-48A5 Patton, and plans to add an A-4 I think! There are at least three more halls with similar displays, including one with an M-60A3, within 20 km’s…

Excellent pictures, thank you very much lads. :cool:

Another quite interesting one: The Tiger I of Vimoutiers, Basse-Normandie/France:

www.normandybattlefields.com/

http://www.ww2f.com/modelling/21929-fov-extreme-metal-1-16-tiger-i-villers-bocage.html

During the retreat from Normandy the tank ran out of gas. The crew attempted to disable the tank with mines but it was only slightly damaged. Afterwards the Tiger was pushed into the road ditch by the advancing US Forces. In that ditch the tank remained until 1975 (!) before it became a memorial/monument.

Post war pictures:

Naval bronze gun in the city of Rosario. Made in Seville, Spain in 1804.

very sweet Bronze gun, they are the best… I am surprised that the Tiger sat until the 70’s its a valuable machine, much in demand by collectors, and museums…

I am surprised that the Tiger sat until the 70’s its a valuable machine, much in demand by collectors, and museums…

Probably because you need some piece of machinery to move it…:slight_smile:

I imagine the engine was torn out and probably a good deal of the wiring…

I am surprised that no one scrapped it first…

The 75mm and 76mm bullet couldnt scrape it so…:mrgreen:

Only a torch with O2 and acetilene, but I guess it was a bit clumsy to carry all that in the field.

There are people who make a living at searching out stuff like this for collectors, and museums, and even if its been stripped, the remains would still be quite valuable on that market. A good thing it wasnt scrapped. We could have got a couple soccer, or Rugby teams together, and have a rope tug to get it out of the ditch…

Rugby teams, hehe, that was quite an idea…:slight_smile:

Breech of a Schneider 155 mm howitzer also placed in the city of Rosario.

Very entertaining thread.

Alright Gents, I went looking around Knoxville (Tennessee) today, and visited one of the Union Army Forts there.
Called Fort Dickerson, its an Earthwork fort on a hill top overlooking the town,located on Knox’s south side. Its not very large, (at least the part they let you walk through) The upper most level is the Battery, holding maybe 10 guns, mostly U.S. 3" ordnance rifles of which there are 2 in place now.
Beneath the battery is a defensive/service trench with its berm There may be more to it, but this is all the public has access to now. Trees now obscure the fields of fire, but its high elevation would have made it difficult to move anything without those in the fort seeing it. There were a number of these forts built around knoxville to defend against the Confederate Gen. Longstreet.I have read that Longstreet’s artillery tried to engage these forts, but due to the poor quality of his powder stores, his guns couldnt make the range to the targets.Also, rifled cannon were not often found in the confederate artillery.

Ft. Dickerson, knoxville. 018.jpg

Ft. Dickerson, knoxville. 009.jpg

Ft. Dickerson, knoxville. 003.jpg

Ft. Dickerson, knoxville. 004.jpg

Ft. Dickerson, knoxville. 007.jpg

Ft. Dickerson, knoxville. 008.jpg

Ft. Dickerson, knoxville. 012.jpg

Ft. Dickerson, knoxville. 016.jpg

Is that the rock capital ? Nice guns and better looking forest :slight_smile:

Lots of rocks there, Knoxville is in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains. There was a fair amount of action during the Civil War. There were 16 such forts in the area, The Largest was Ft. Sanders, which was located in what is now west Knoxville. Ft. Dickerson is the only one left in any sort of condition. (most were built over as the city grew.)

Looks like a very scenic place, I tought that In the US southern states the landscaped wast much green like this.
The gun have the perfect size to fit in my backyard next to the bbq grill.

I was thinking that myself,an interesting way to call your friends to dinner, (or keep them away from your wine cellar)
Two of the three guns are original, one is a replica, maybe made by Hern Ironworks in Idaho. Muzzle loading artillery is legal to own, and without any paperwork issues.
It is really green here, lots of large old trees,nearly jungle like. (and probably lots of stills in the hills)