Monument Weapons

Very nice pictures TG, Interesting to see the way the Fort looks nowadays.
Have to say I’m surprised the weapons are in such good condition.

The difference in weight between two of the pieces made me pause a little, since, if I’m reading the markings correctly, both weapons fired the same weight of cannonball.
I’m guessing at different casting standards for each weapon as being the reason for the difference in weight.

Respectful Regards, Uyraell.

I think it was because one is rifled, and the other a smooth bore, but it could be due to the depth of the bore, relative to the length of the gun. Machining technology was a bit suspect in those days. As to the pieces on location, The carriages are new made, (2002) The guns in the pics are original, but the other has no markings, and must be a repro, Original U.S. or C.S.A. military guns had their nomenclature on the muzzle, at the trunnion, or at the breech re-enforcing band.(tho, guns imported from Europe may have them in other locations) There are a few shops in the U.S. that produce guns of this type in cast iron.

Many Thanks, TG, I greatly appreciate the added info, which I find interesting. :slight_smile:
Hadn’t realised repro pieces were still made, nor carriages and trunnions.

Kind Regards, Uyraell.

There is an outfit in Southbend Indiana,dont recall the name, and there is Hern Ironworks in Idaho. good to peruse to research Civil War guns.

Many Thanks, TG:), in recent years I’ve found an interest in the US Civil War which I hadn’t anticipated evolving. :slight_smile:

Small comment on Monument weapons in NZ.
In my youth there were many such to be seen, and they were in general reasonably well maintained. Then the 1980’s arrived, and with it, a whole slew of “politically correct fascism” dressed-up as “forget the past”. The result was many many Monument Weapons were dismounted, removed, and disappeared into obscurity, most likely were scrapped.
Anyone younger than about 35 would never even recall where most of those weapons had stood.
The loss of the associated markers of history, will cost this country part of it’s identity in years to come, and render it increasingly bland and sterile, meaningless. That particular rot has already set in, and continues apace.

Kind Regards, Uyraell.

It is a shame, I agree. While it may be wise to look to the future, no one, a people, or a nation should ever forget the efforts, or remove the monuments to those who made their freedom possible.

3 pounder and 6 pounder muzzleloaders, videos freshly uploaded by…me …who else ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnokSuw0yac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5yXk9KQr1k