New Staff Member!

I am looking at the picture you posted under that.

It seems rather larger than most pathology samples, but clearly there is a lot of pathology there. :smiley:

you bet there is, Heart, lungs esophogus, liver, kidneys,(all finely minced) roasted oats, stock made from boiling some of the other parts, and spices, all put into a boiled out sheepā€™s stomach, sewn shut, and boiled for 3 hrsā€¦
Slice it open, scoop out to serve, Mmmmmm Good! Puts hair on your sporran for sureā€¦(No drooling now FireFly,)

m_serves-3-4-traditional-haggis.jpg

Certainly no worse than some of the stuff Iā€™ve eatenā€¦

That being said, Iā€™m not a fan of internal organs. But then again, Iā€™ve probably eaten those in one form or anotherā€¦

Ever had a hot dog?, even worse stuff in some of those, beaks and claws,:slight_smile:

No.

Itā€™s even lower on my list of things to avoid than a McDonaldā€™s Double Vomitburger with Bile Sauce.

Iā€™m not sophisticated, but I prefer to eat stuff roughly approximating food.

The army taught me that.

Meatloaf.

The staple Aussie army food, then anyway, cooked by cooks who couldnā€™t cook and who liked to run quiz shows to amuse themselves about whether anybody actually noticed that there wasnā€™t any meat in the meatloaf. Or any food in it.

Giving rise to the old question and response in the mess line

ā€œWho called the cook a bastard?ā€

ā€œWho called the bastard a cook?ā€

Meatloaf is haggis, before itā€™s grown up. Or properly cooked.

The Australian army cooks would have regarded it as haute cuisine, cordon bleu, or just one of the many unattainably complex dishes involving natural ingredients that they couldnā€™t render into, ideally, edible mush for starving grunts with no alternative.

Mmmmmmmm, Bile sauce,Having survived several years of military food, (well, it starts as food then the cooks get hold of it, and who knows what happens to it) I do agree with you. I would never eat at Macā€™s, or any of those types of placeā€¦ I eat Haggis once a year, when I visit friends oā€™er yonder, and that way, its enjoyable.

You are making me suspicious about your credentials.

How can any human being survive years of military food? :smiley:

Thereā€™s a reason wars are fought by teenage / early twenties blokes. They havenā€™t been in long enough for the food to kill them. :smiley:

Funny thing is, my Mrs made Haggis last night and it was really good. I have it about twice a year to be honest, best kind is the one with Drambuie through it though.

Thatā€™s what I meant. Though, I only try to buy the higher quality stuff:

A local product from Buffalo where they actually use real meatā€¦

Buffalo is really very good for you, much less cholesterol, &other bad stuff, tasts good too, just have to be careful cooking it as it dries out quickly (no fat) Its popular in my area as we have a large indian community (4 tribal groups)
Rabbit is also a great meat, very little fat again, and has a high density of nutrients due to the coprophagus nature of the beast(they eat their food twice). 5 ounces of rabbit has the same nutrients of 8 oz. of beef.The Romans knew this, and thats why they hauled rabbits along for their troops, and why the rabbit is so common in the world. Crafty little guys are good escape artists. It has been said that the greatest feat of the Romanā€™s was to domesticate the rabbit. (now Iā€™m hungry,) :slight_smile:

Quote: "You are making me suspicious about your credentials.

How can any human being survive years of military food?"

The answer is easy, I was a G.I. in Uncle Sugarā€™s army, G.I.'s were never considered humans,:slight_smile:

Iā€™ve not had the Drambuie version, Iā€™ll have to try it next visit over. Mmmmm, Haggis.