Olympics!!!

Did any one watch the us girls softball team kick the dragons ass last night i mean apparently the chinesse cant even throw a strike it was 9 zip.

I also found this pic talk about funny:mrgreen:

Oh ya, It was a joke. The US slaughtered them!..Go USA Go USA Go USA!!

I was going to say “You should be rooting for Canada”, but I’m not sure about that anymore. You live in Toronto, but knowing things in North America, you’re probably and American.

Well to be honest I consider the USA like a Big Brother, cause they are always there to help us. I love Canada but the competitive aspect of business, sports etc, seems more promising from the States. I rather see USA win lots of medals than Communist China.

The Phelps man is the best
8 gold medals baby!!!

My hat goes off to Australia!. They have 36 medals. How do they do it?. Canada only has a measely few. I myst say that for a country that has images of kangaroos and crocks, they are surely one of the best countries in the world!!. I salut you Australia and all those who are from this Great country (Ya you to RS). I might even visit Australia now that it is such a first class nation. All this hype about the jamaicans winning the 100 mt dash. We should be congratulating the island which proved its merit.If you see an Australian today give them a Hug:)

Australia is probably the most sports obsessed nation in the world, they take their sports very seriously.

However, they are not too happy at the moment, the Poms have overtaken them in the medal charts at the Olympics :slight_smile:

This one doesn’t.

You know why?

Because the Poms have been throwing big dollars - alright, pounds :smiley: - at their teams to build up for the London Olympics.

And those dollars have been spent on training modelled on the Australian Institute of Sport, which was founded after we came back from Montreal in 1976 without a single gold medal. So we founded the Institute and threw big dollars at it, imported coaches and got good again, and now we export coaches and training methods.

We also give our athletes a free tertiary education while everyone else has to pay for it, with almost no prospect of getting the huge dollars that successful athletes get.

Now the Poms have beaten us, our sports types are demanding more money from the government.

Apparently performance enhancing drugs are bad, but performance enhancing money is good.

Bah! Humbug!

I mightn’t be sport obsessed and I might be cynical about the money and system behind our performance, but it’s still hard to suppress a bit of national pride in punching well above our weight, as we usually do.

Australia is the 53rd most populous country in the world with a population of 21 million, currently running 5th in the medal tally with 11 gold and 38 in total.

To see how Australia’s performance rates against other nations, I’ve multiplied Australia’s medal tally by the relevant population factor to see what they would theoretically have if they performed as poorly :wink: :smiley: as Australia (current actual medal tally in brackets)

China (1.32bn / 21m) = 63 Gold 693 (46) Total 2,394 (83)
USA (301m / 21m) = 14.3 Gold 157 (29) Total 543 (95)
Russia (142m / 21m) = 6.8 Gold 75 (16) Total 239 (51)
Britain (61m / 21m) = 2.9 Gold 32 (17) Total 110 (40)
Germany (82m / 21m) = 3.9 Gold 43 (11) Total 148 (31)
Canada (33m / 21m) = 1.6 Gold 18 (3) Total 61 (15)

Canada doesn’t have a measly few medals, just not quite as many as it should have on a per capita basis. I assume that this is largely because Canada has been denied a fair go because bashing people toothless, senseless, and brainless with ice hockey sticks has been unfairly excluded from Olympic sports, along with bush pilot impossible landings and snow shoe marathons. :wink: :smiley:

Also, Canada still suffers from international prejudice arising from its lumber jack heritage. :smiley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg

Our Olympic success is partly because we train our swimmers in the north, where the crocs, sharks, sea snakes, irukandji, and box jellyfish make them learn to swim fast, if they want to live. Then we take them south to the home of the great white shark, with different varieties of sea snakes, fatal mini-octopi, and rarely fatal different jellyfish. Sure, it’s a harsh training program and we lose a few promising swimmers, but the ones we want are the ones who can survive it. After that, the pool’s a doddle.

We’ve also devised some highly efficient methods of combining the training of different disciplines, notably the shooters with cyclists and track and field. The shooters like the change to live moving targets while the riders and runners and jumpers learn to move real fast if they want to live.

The synchronised swimmers had to be removed from the combined training program with the shooters after hundreds of thousands of civilians, many from overseas, arrived with guns, knives, and clubs to have a go at the syhchronised swimmers.

What have we done to deserve that? :wink: :mrgreen:

P.S.

In the interests of international understanding between former WWII foes, it should be noted that healthy German reactions to sick lumberjacks agree with healthy Canadian reactions, especially the disgusted letter at the end which was exlcuded from the English version on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiVOG199X2c&feature=related

But the US girls got the shock of their life against a really hot Japanese pitcher!

P.P.S.

Note that the German video version of the lumberjack song takes about 150% as long as the English version, and cunningly translates ‘Uncle Walter’ as ‘Papa’?

Not hard to see how Germany lost the war when it took half as long again to do anything and didn’t know it’s uncle from its father or, as those English would say, didn’t know Arthur from Martha, which oddly enough uses only five words to the seven in the English version of German, although the Germans cheat in their own language by running about fifteen words into one unpronounceable giant, rather like the equally devious Welsh who have spent generations making sure that paratroopers won’t be able to find their way around Wales by looking at road and railway station signs. :smiley:

Yup. The Poms invested heavily in the cycling especially; reasoning correctly that they could dominate the sport with relatively small investment of said pounds…

Yes, and typically lazy, riding instead of walking. :smiley:

[Space left here for offended Pom to remind us who was first to break four minute mile barrier. :wink: ]

They run really slloooooowwwwwww though! :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-7Vu7cqB20

This is because they are constricted by running in (a) water, which is a good training medium for swimmers but a poor one for runners, apart from Red Sea pedestrians :wink: (b) their undies, wearing which will always inhibit performance in and out of the bedroom but especially in front of a stadium full of people clothed normally. :smiley:

No need, I’ll just stick to gloating that you’re down to sixth in the medal table, and we’re still third :mrgreen:

And, with my customary delicacy and good grace, I shall refrain from advertising the very few :rolleyes: sports where Britain doesn’t do so well on an Australia - Britain basis. :wink: :smiley:

Such as a real bike race, like the Tour de France where we came only second, again, among all those Europeans of whom Britain is a vital part yet it came somewhere rather a long way back. About 68th. :wink: :smiley: [WW2 Admin please note that this requires an emoticon expressing smug convict bastard shoving it up the mother country :D].

Final standings:

1. Carlos Sastre (Spain/ Team CSC) 87hr 52min 52secs
  2. Cadel Evans (Australia/ Silence - Lotto) +58secs
  3. Bernhard Kohl (Austria/ Gerolsteiner) +1min 13secs
  4. Denis Menchov (Russia/ Rabobank ) +2min 10secs
  5. Christian Vande Velde (USA/ Garmin - Chipotle) +3min 05secs
  6. Frank Schleck (Luxembourg/ Team CSC) +4min 28secs
  7. Samuel Sanchez (Spain/ Euskaltel) +6min 25secs
  8. Kim Kirchen (Luxembourg/ Columbia) +6min 55secs
  9. Alejandro Valverde (Spain/ Caisse d’Epargne) +7min 12secs
  10. Tadej Valjavec (Slovenia/ AG2R ) +9mins 5secs

I have a further point to make, if I may: